1 2 3 4 Previous Next 141 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2017 12:30 PM by rrrad

Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update

rcsparks39042 Level 1

I'm using Windows 10, 16G memory, GPU processor active.  Since upgrading to 2015.6 a few days ago, the develop module is painfully slow.  Very sluggish moving from photo to photo and lag in displaying changes.  Is anyone else experiencing these problems?  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Richard

• 1. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Try unchecking the option Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to see if it's related to the GPU.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
            taoart Level 1

Hi Richard, I have the same problem I have gone back to previous install. It just got so slow waiting for images to reload in the develop mode. Cheers Tao

• 3. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
              jsyder Level 1

That does not work!!!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                jsyder Level 1

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am extremely frustrated! This version is extremely slower than the previous version, which in turn was slower than the one before it. Moving from one image to the next, takes at least 5seconds and adjusting any slider causes Lightroom to freeze, with the lovely "circle of death" reminding me that it's thinking and I should not perform any actions, for 2 seconds or so. I am a very tolerant person but feel like I've had it now! It feels like I am falling out of love with a craft that I once was excited about because editing, which is a very important part of the process, doesn't work. And instead of improving, Lightroom has quickly gotten worse over time! It has taken me 2 and a half days to edit 450 photos, and there's a few more to do but Lightroom has now CRASHED hence my angst here! I have a couple jobs more to edit and I am in a position where I am not seeking after more work because of a backlog of jobs to edit. This is really costing me and I am very angry because I just want to get on with my work. Yes I have a decent system, yes I have plenty of RAM, yes I have a SSD installed. ADOBE, please please please, I just want to edit and enjoy it.

4 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                  rcsparks39042 Level 1

The GPU checkbox makes no noticeable difference either way.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                    rcsparks39042 Level 1

Tao, I'm not familiar with the process of going back to previous install.  Is it simple enough to describe.  That's what I need to do.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      1. Uninstall from the Windows Control panel
                      2. From the link below install LR6.0/CC2015.0
                      3. After successful installation expand the LR6 link to see all previous updates and download LR6.5.1/CC2015.5.1

Install Photoshop Lightroom 

• 8. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                        oemreman Level 1

I'm having a similar experience. I'm running an up-to-date Windows 10 installation (freshly installed two days ago) on a PC with an i7 4790, GTX 970, 24 GB of RAM, and Samsung SSDs. There's nothing underwhelming about my specs. Lightroom is completely up-to-date and I've got 50GB allocated to Camera Raw Cache. And still, Lightroom runs incredibly slow!

I feel like a hostage to this program.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                          dj_paige Level 9

Did you try the suggestions already made in this thread?

• 10. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                            DomesticMachine Level 1

Same problem here. I have tried to use the new update on three different computers: a fast Windows 10 PC, a 2011 MacBook Pro, and a 2013 Mac Pro (Macs are running El Capitan), and the 2015.6 update is equally slow on all of them. It's probably most apparent when trying to use the adjustment brush on a photo. After every brush stroke or develop setting adjustment, Lightroom just freezes for a long time (and I often get the spinning beach ball on the Macs). Doing pretty much anything is impossible. I didn't have any problems before this update. Like others have said, disabling GPU makes no difference.

Looking at the system resources, it looks like LR is using a lot of CPU, even when I'm not actively doing anything (and it's not doing any visible background operations either, like syncing with LR mobile etc). Not sure if this is behind the sluggishness, or if it's normal...

• 11. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                              sara_p_dc Level 1

I am experiencing the same major slow-down, especially when using adjustment brushes. I am using an iMac retina 5k (max options available from apple) and have never seen this severe a problem. As mentioned by other users, I have not seen any improvement when enabling or disabling GPU acceleration. There is some kind of memory leak with this new update, and I cant seem to locate it or determine any alternate settings to remedy the issues.  ADOBE PLEASE HELP US ASAP

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                rcsparks39042 Level 1

I'm back to CC2015.0.  You say to "expand the LR6 link to see all previous updates and download LR6.5.1/CC2015.5.1".  I'm sorry, but I can't find a LR6 link that offers all previous updates.  Can you give any assistance?  Thanks.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                  dj_paige Level 9

sara_p_dc wrote:

I am experiencing the same major slow-down, especially when using adjustment brushes. I am using an iMac retina 5k (max options available from apple) and have never seen this severe a problem. As mentioned by other users, I have not seen any improvement when enabling or disabling GPU acceleration. There is some kind of memory leak with this new update, and I cant seem to locate it or determine any alternate settings to remedy the issues. ADOBE PLEASE HELP US ASAP

This is an entirely different problem and does not belong in this thread. The problem is that doing lots of brushing on a 5k monitor is going to be extremely slow unless you have an extremely high end graphics card (and maybe not even then).

• 15. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                    dcoz Level 1

try minimizing LR for about 10 seconds then restoring - it reduces the amount of memory used dramatically and on my PC, LR starts to perform again - until it gets back to high usage (10+ GB) and slows

• 16. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                      Tice_Lerner Level 1

I'm on a Mac Pro 2013 as well experiencing the same issue. The latest update makes it completely unusable. I'm curious about the computers you tried it on. Did any of the machines have nvidia cards in them? I'm wondering if there is any specific problems with ATI (even if GPU acceleration is disabled).

• 17. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                        rcsparks39042 Level 1

I have an NVidia card.  I went back to 2015.5.1 and everything works well again.  I'll be more careful about updating so quick next time.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                          CassioJPSilva Level 1

I own an account creative cloud. I think that this solution can not be used by me, right?

• 19. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                            dj_paige Level 9

This solution works for CC members

• 20. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                              tytlyf Level 1

I haven't tried that, but will later.  Whether you have 8, 16 or more RAM shouldn't slow the program down unless memory utilization gets to around 80-100%.  Mine is slow and my memory is never over 50% used.  Want to see super slow?  Create an HDR merge then try doing any adjustments on the photo.  What I have noticed, which is strange and may be part of the problem, is that TIF files brought back into LR after PS are smooth and quick.  So this may have something to do with file formats.

• 21. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                dj_paige Level 9

tytlyf wrote:

I haven't tried that, but will later. Whether you have 8, 16 or more RAM shouldn't slow the program down unless memory utilization gets to around 80-100%.

There are lots of reasons for the program to slow down that have nothing to do with memory. In particular, doing adjustments to a photo can slow down because the CPU is not powerful enough, which I suspect is the problem with your HDR image.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A memory leak has been identified in LR 6.6 and CC 2015.6: Lightroom 2015.6 Extremely Slow | Photoshop Family Customer Community

My system with 12GB memory starts to slow down as soon as LR memory usage reaches ~50% and then gets worse as you browse or edit images in the Develop module. It will cause Adjustment Brush lag that gets worse as you edit more images.This is independent of the GPU setting in LR Preferences. Some have found minimizing the LR window, waiting 2-3 seconds, and then maximizing it frees up additional memory. In my tests this helped some, but closing and then relaunching LR frees up even more memory. In addition, if you rarely shutdown and reboot your system this can reduce the amount of available memory and other issues. I suggest shutting down your system at least once a week. On the next reboot the maximum amount of memory will become available for use by LR.

That's about all you can do for now until an update with a fix is released.

3 people found this helpful
                                                  • 23. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                    dj_paige Level 9

Reverting back to Lightroom 6.5.1/Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 is a possible way to eliminate the memory leak, if you aren't using the new features of Lightroom 6.6/Lightroom CC 2015.6

These are the instructions (but instead of 6.1.1, pretend it says 6.5.1)

How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1? | The Lightroom Queen

• 24. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                      tytlyf Level 1

I have an i7-4720HQ.  Which is a powerful processor.  I don't think that would be the issue.

• 25. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                        CassioJPSilva Level 1

I owned many collections shared with LR Mobile. I suspected that this could be causing the problem, because the synchronization was locked. I turned off all collections. They were still two photos with synchronization problems (?), So I decided to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom DC and only synchronized one of the collections that I need to share the photos with a co-worker. Since then I have a minor problem of slowness and memory leak.

• 26. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                          jean-jacquesf85400745 Level 1

Hello Guys,

I suffered the same Slow performance issue (very bad). i unchecked the graphic accelerator option and it slightly improved. then I uninstalled lightroom CC 2015.6 and reinstalled. It did not change anything, it kept turning slow. then I went into the catalogue preferences and clicked on "clear all suggestion list". It improved the speed a lot. It worked for me, maybe it would work for others.

• 27. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update

I have also deleted all sync parameters in lightroom mobile. it has also increased a bit more the speed. It's almost like previous version.

• 28. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                              Peakoverload Level 1

Yep LR CC 2015.6 is very slow compared to previous versions and it's memory usage doesn't seem to be being handled correctly/efficiently. From what I can see on my system (Mac 3.1GHhz i5 16GB RAM) it looks like that the memory isn't always released after a task has been completed. Instead LR 'holds on to' that used RAM and continues to use more for any subsequent task you perform and so it continues until you either leave LR alone for anything up to 20 mins in my experience, restart LR or LR crashes telling you you've run out of System Memory.

• 29. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                shikamu Level 1

From another thread I saw that someone had discovered that if you minimize the LR window and then maximize it you will immediately get a significant reduction in LR 2015.6 ram usage.  It works.  I was at 3gb+ and while watching the task manager I minimized LR and then a couple of seconds later maximized it.  I immediately saw that the LR ram usage went down by over 1gb.  Clearly Adobe has some sort of bug, but this is a better workaround than having to constantly kill LR and restart it.

2 people found this helpful
                                                                • 30. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                  Peakoverload Level 1

That doesn't work for me. I left LR on overnight doing nothing and this morning Activity Monitor said that LR was using 5.22GB of RAM and 2.46GB of compressed memory with 47 Threads.

I minimized LR, waited a bit, then maximised LR but there was no difference to memory usage.

By comparison I then shut down LR and restarted it and went back into the same collection that I was in before. Activity Monitor now says that LR is using 410MB of RAM, 0 bytes of compressed memory with 42 Threads.

• 31. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                    RobbyJai Level 1

what a complete load of utter nonsense. Absolute rubbish. I have equivalent spec iMac 5k.. and with previous versions of LR 2015.5 i was able to do major amounts of adjust brushes without a single problem at all and no slow down.

now LR is completely unuseable with the spinning beach ball constantly.

• 32. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update

As a professional Photographer using apparently professional products such as Lightroom, it behaves like a new program done by a bunch of students who just started a new product with bugs and crashes. It does not work like a professional software. This is very distressing when you are suppose to trust a product to produce quality professional work and find yourself struggling to do basic edition.

5 people found this helpful
                                                                      • 33. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update

I have been watching the memory behavior of Lightroom and noticed this. When I'm into the develop module, each time a move from a picture to another one, the CPU activity increases from 0 to 50% and the memory size increases by 200 to 500mb. Eventually, the memory gets full and with the cpu activity running wild, it stuck. The temporary solution now is to close lightroom and open it again. then the memory starts from about 400Mb (for my configuration) and increases gradually as I work.

Obviously, Adobe has failed into the memory and cpu management in this upgrade (and even on previous ones) thus these issues of slowness.

Hope they fix it quick.

• 34. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                          jamesadamtaylor Level 1

I have been struggling to get work to clients because of this.

My solution so far has been to:
                                                                          1. export all of the images I need to use a brush tool on to a different disk.
                                                                          2. open LR 5 and create a catalogue with just those images
                                                                          3. do all of the work I was looking to do in the develop module in CC2015.6
                                                                          4. I have both applications open to double check files between the two so that I have all of my settings the same and LR 5 has no trouble doing anything.

Since I did tonal edits on many photos in cc2015, I intend to import the files with the brush adjustments into the newer program so I may sync  between images  and have continuity with the rest of the set. Unfortunately when importing my DNG files back to LR5 it imports just the basic unedited file, I suppose because of backwards compatibility issues. What I should have completed in a few days is taking me weeks.

Because of this, I doubled my ram from 16 to 32 gigs, and it made no difference.  I have also booted into safe mode on my mac to turn off any of the OSX related bells and whistles that could slow the whole system down and noticed only the slightest of difference. Graphics acceleration turned on and off, no difference. Installed and uninstalled multiple times.

Do I have some corrupt library files from constantly upgrading via CC? I have talked about this with people with slower systems and have found that some have seen no change while others have been experiencing this.

-=I'm waiting 30 seconds or more sometimes for the pinwheel to go away after making a brush stroke in CC2015.=-

this is horrible.

• 35. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                            dj_paige Level 9

I have been struggling to get work to clients because of this.

jamesadamtaylor please read this thread, there are many suggestions that could solve problem

• 36. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                              scott-david-weaver Level 1

Just came across your comment this morning. I've been using merge to HDR in LR for the last year and it has worked fairly fast. Needed to do some HDR in LR this morning and it almost freezes halfway thru creating the preview. If I wait and wait it will eventually show me the preview, but saving the file takes almost five minutes after that. The program never has worked this way on my system. No changes to the system other than installing the latest update ten days or so back, so I'm using 2015.6.

I also use HDR Efex Pro (current version from google) and this runs as fast as it always did, so this slowness issue seems to only be with LR's merge to HDR. Very frustrating as a have a big job I will need to spend several days working on soon, and several days could turn into a one week at this rate.

Adobe PLEASE address this issue fast!

• 37. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                                jaga0402 Level 1

I to have the same issue Adobe remote access to my PC unchecked the GPU and cleaned Temp files  Ran ok for about half hour and started the same issue  i have added another 16 gig of ram and its now using that as well also loading the processor up as well

This is costing time and money not good enough Adobe

• 38. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                                  jamesadamtaylor Level 1

A work around sort of?

I initially found this issue when I was using the brush tool to make two separate exposure adjustments on a large group of images. The more images had adjustments the slower EVERYTHING got. Clicking between library and develop module for example. Zooming in to pixel peep was taking a minute per image to load and then zooming out was another unbearable load time....
                                                                                  I save my files as DNG with 1to1 previews and have 40 gb cache dedicated to LR.

I have a pretty good system OSX El Cap, 32 gig ram, quad core i5 processor, NVIDIA graphics card, Fusion drive.

Since first having issues, I have done a fresh install on my computer. Everything was wiped.
                                                                                  Even after a fresh install on a nearly empty hard drive and making a very small LR Cat, with just necessary images it was still unbearably slow.

Anyway for my workflow after making specific exposure adjustments I was going in to do stylistic and global tonal work. I grinned and bared it with the brush stuff and was hoping now that I had completed that portion things would go more quickly.

I was wrong.

My solution was to export and import all of the files with brush adjustments as .Tiff files. I know this doesn't work for everyone, especially if you are conscious of hard drive usage and it doesn't make the brush tool go any faster, but I can now zoom to full view of my images and have it load in less than a second. I should be able to work on the tonal portion of this faster at the very least.

• 39. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 Painfully slow since update
                                                                                    tytlyf Level 1

I found this out about the file types too.  TIF images after importing back into LR from PS have zero slowness.  The TIF images are also 400+MB.  That's why I thought it had something to do with the file types.  If LR could work at the speed with the TIF images, it would be a dream.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next