8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 11:40 PM by TREX

Text bounding box/leading space

TREX Level 2

I am using Indesign CS5.5.

Not sure if I am explaining this right, but here goes…

What I am trying to do is to create a headline style that has a automatic leading/bounding box around the text box, so that the paragraph text below aligns to it precisely.

Any help will be appreciated.

Text Bounnding box.png

• 1. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
          Derek Cross Level 6

You can create two Paragraph styles - one for the heading and one for the text. In the styles you can specify the amount of extra space above and/or below. Create one text box and add your heading and text and apply the relevant styles.

• 2. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
            TREX Level 2

Thanks for your reply Derek.

I am producing a brochure that have a lot of headings, some with large/very small paragraphs and I need to arrange them in different ways, the only thing I need constant is the space below the header, I have just been experimenting and I think using the text frame options may be what I am looking for?

text frame option.png

• 3. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Does the heading have to be in a separate frame to the body text?

• 4. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
                TREX Level 2

Hello Danny.

Yes, separate frame for me that is the better option, as I can then freely move the headline and sub heade /text around the pages.

• 5. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
                  TREX Level 2

Thanks everyone who replied to my question.

I think that I have now solved what I was trying to do, I used the 'Object Style' and 'Text Frame Options'

• 6. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi TREX,

you could handle that with a text wrap on the text frame with the title.
                    Just align both text frames to top.

1. From my German InDesign CS6 ( I used only functions, that are also available in CS5.5 )

1-TitleTextFrame-TextWrap-InsetBottom.png

2. Minimized title text frame. A double click to the bottom center "handler" of the text frame:

2-TitleTextFrames-Minimized.png

3. Both frames selected, Align panel controls open and set to Align to top:

3-SelectedFrames-AlignToTop.png

4. Result

4-AlignedResult.png

If you'd use InDesign CS6 (and above) instead of CS5.5, there would be a chance to automate the height of the title frame.

So you have to change the height of the frames, if you edit the text and less or more lines of text are created.

Regards,
                    Uwe

• 7. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

TREX wrote:

Hello Danny.

Yes, separate frame for me that is the better option, as I can then freely move the headline and sub heade /text around the pages.

I'm not sure I see how two frames is an advantage here (one frame, with space after as part of the heading style) would always keep the heading and following text together when you move them, and would keep the space between consistent, regardless of the number of lines in the heading.

• 8. Re: Text bounding box/leading space
                        TREX Level 2

Thanks Danny, Uwe, Peter and Derek for your replies.

What I wanted to do is to keep a constant space of 10mm between my header and paragraph text, I know you can do this para’ styles/text wrap.

The reason for the two separate text boxes so I could slide either one to the left or right if needed, to accommodate a graphic, I feel that I have more control of moving items around the page this way.

What I wanted to do is avoid pulling down a guide of 10mm from the rulers.

Note: At the moment, I am happy using CS5.5 not just because it does all I need it to do, I really can't justify/afford updating to 'pay to use' plan.