1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 11:36 AM by p.mckee

Interactive PDF layers appear behind text. Can a script move them to top layer?

p.mckee Level 1

I am creating a form in InDesign CC (latest version on a Mac running El Capitan). I am exporting the form to PDF. There are interactive help bubbles (with suggestions on how to fill in each particular field) set up as buttons. The trigger buttons are static. When I click on the trigger, the bubble appears, when I click on the bubble, it disappears. The problem is that even though the bubbles are set up on the top layer in InDesign, in a lot of cases they appear behind the text layer.

Is there a script that I can add to each individual bubble that says "when this bubble is active, move it to the top layer"?

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF layers appear behind text. Can a script move them to top layer?
          p.mckee Level 1

This project took more than 3 weeks of troubleshooting. In the end I came up with my own result. The answer was "no, there isn't a script."

With the help of Adobe customer support, we found that because, in the InDesign file, I had the pop-ups on a different layer than the triggers, it was causing a layering problem. I ended up combining the layers into one, moving the pop-ups to the top items in the layers palette.

Then I exported (interactive) PDF from InDesign and in the PDF, in editing mode, in the Fields panel, I selected all the pop-ups and moved them to the very bottom of each individual page [z-index property]. A lot of manual work, but in the end, I got most of the results I wanted.