9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 11:00 AM by ThomasJohnLynch

Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6

ThomasMaribo Level 1

Hi :-)

I'm new to this, so please excuse me if I make any mistakes;-)

When I synchronize folders in Lightroom 6.6, a wrong number of new photos to import is displayed.

If I synchronize without having added new files, LR insists that 371 new files are found. However the files are not displayed (As they are not there, obviously) but LR keeps finding these "ghost files".

How can I get LR to "forget" about those files?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lightroom 6.6

Windows 10

Best regards,

Thomas

Denmark

• 1. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
          dj_paige Level 9

Describe in words what you see when you examine this folder using your operating system file browser.

Can you show us screen captures of both the Lightroom synchronize screen and what your operating system sees?

• 2. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
            ThomasMaribo Level 1

Thank you for your reply, DJ!

In Windows explorer I basically see a parent folder with all the sub-folders, I've created. They all contain .nef .dng and .xmp files. Nothing strange or alarming.

This is what Lightroom sees:

By the way: Ticking the "Show import dialog...." box does not make a drifference  - no new images are shown.

I'm thinking a database error had happened..

• 3. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
              dj_paige Level 9

But this doesn't answer the question. I don't want to see the dialog box. I want to see the alleged "ghost" files as shown by Lightroom. Does your folder 2016 contain 371 new photos? Does the 2016 folder contain these ghost files as seen by Windows Explorer? Please show us BOTH the Lightroom screen and a screen capture of the corresponding part of your file structure as seen in Windows Explorer.

Describe the entire workflow you are using in Lightroom, from scratch, and in detail. Have any of the photos in these folders been previously imported?

• 4. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                ThomasMaribo Level 1

I'll try to explain as best I can:

The "ghost files" are only visible as "(371)" in the Import dialog box. They never show up as previews.

The folder 2016 does not have 371 new photos - all new photos have been importes and are visible.

Here's the workflow:

I right click on my 2016 folder in lightroom, chose "Synchronize folder"

After a few seconds I get the above dialog box.

I chose "Synchronize"  - and wait for a minute - and nothing happens. (The progress bar in the upper left corner moves - but no new pictures are displayed)

I have repeated the process, but the result is the same.

All of the photos in the 2016 folder have been imported with sucsess  - it's just the 371 ghost photos that seem to hang in the system.

• 5. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                  dj_paige Level 9

Ok, as far as I know, this is what is supposed to happen when you synchronize folders that have previously imported photos. The count shows all photos in the folder, and then when you click on synchronize, Lightroom realizes that there are no new photos to add, and so it effectively does nothing. If there were some new files to add and some old files that didn't need to be added, the number in the dialog box would be all photos in the folder; and then only the new files would be added.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                    ThomasMaribo Level 1

Thank you so much!

Now I know there's nothing to worry about :-)

Thank you for your time and patience!

Best regards,

Thomas

• 7. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                      ThomasJohnLynch Level 1

i have been having the same problem FOR YEARS!  

42,077 photos in yearly folders of which almost ALL have been "imported" into the LR catalog.

i will synchronize my 2016 photos when I move new photos from my laptop to the NAS directory for 2016 and then "add" them to 2016 and the catalog.

The 2016 seems to be fine.  56 new, and 56 are imported.

However if i change a few photos or add one (move or copy) to let's say the 1800s or the 1960s folder photos and try to do a top folder syncronize on folder "shared photos" which contains the 42,077 photos (plus the new let's say 3 or 4 photos I just added)  i keep getting some 2,380 new photos to be imported? 

It will then import the 3 or 4 and off we go seemingly ignoring the 2,378 that may or may not be new?

• 8. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                        dj_paige Level 9

That's what Synchronize does.

• 9. Re: Wrong number of photos to import in Lightroom 6.6
                          ThomasJohnLynch Level 1

but is is NOT syncronizing 1,000s it says are new or changed?  Your quip makes no sense?