5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 6:30 AM by Szalam

How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro

elizachristine Level 1

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can send multiple files to after effects from premiere pro and have the changes show up in the cut sequence in premiere pro after saving? I would like to have my edits remain the same, but would also like to be able to change them.  Is it possible to send the .MOV file and have it show up in the sequence that I have already spent hours editing?

In addition, after creating a new composition in after effects, the movie is not showing in the Comp Preview window. I'm sure this is a newbie thing, but can you please tell me what the H I'm doing wrong? See pic below.

Screenshot 2016-06-13 16.06.33.png

Also getting error below:

Screenshot 2016-06-13 16.06.41.png

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro
          ebg41134247

Have you tried researching this issue? I had a similar problem with After Effects importing Cinema4d Files, and i had to install a special plugin, Try to look at some Video tutorials if you havent

• 2. Re: How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro
            elizachristine Level 1

Yes I have researched it extensively. That is why I posted in this forum. Thank you though!

• 3. Re: How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

elizachristine wrote:

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can send multiple files to after effects from premiere pro and have the changes show up in the cut sequence in premiere pro after saving?

You can have many AE compositions dynamically linked in one Premiere Pro sequence. Just select one clip (or multiple clips) in your sequence's timeline, right-click, and choose Replace With After Effects Composition.

Note: this is not how I would do it, but that's what you were asking for and many people do it this way.

I usually just copy and paste clips from Premiere into an AE project, work on it in AE, and then render it into an intermediate codec from AE's render queue and bring the resulting file back into Premiere.

elizachristine wrote:

I would like to have my edits remain the same, but would also like to be able to change them.

I don't know what you mean by this.

elizachristine wrote:

Is it possible to send the .MOV file and have it show up in the sequence that I have already spent hours editing?

Again, I'm not quite clear on what you are asking. You can definitely do AE work and drop it into your Premiere Pro sequence.

elizachristine wrote:

In addition, after creating a new composition in after effects, the movie is not showing in the Comp Preview window. I'm sure this is a newbie thing, but can you please tell me what the H I'm doing wrong?

I'm not sure. Move your current time indicator further into your composition.

It might behoove you to read through the AE help file on working with Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro
                elizachristine Level 1

Thanks Szalam,

(You can have many AE compositions dynamically linked in one Premiere Pro sequence. Just select one clip (or multiple clips) in your sequence's timeline, right-click, and choose Replace With After Effects Composition.

Note: this is not how I would do it, but that's what you were asking for and many people do it this way.

I usually just copy and paste clips from Premiere into an AE project, work on it in AE, and then render it into an intermediate codec from AE's render queue and bring the resulting file back into Premiere.)

I found that this was the only way to have the black screen disappear. I tried importing a PP project and dragging and dropping, but this all resulted in the black screen previously mentioned. I will try your way. I have read that the black screen is a bug, but at least I have found a work around for now.

I would like to have my edits remain the same, but would also like to be able to change them.

I don't know what you mean by this.

I meant that most of the time, when I send a dynamic link, it mashes all of the cuts into one long sequence and I want to be able to keep everything separate.  For now i have just decided to send each cut as a separate file. Takes forever, but it works. I would love to know how to send them all and change them all at the same time. This led me to the next question which was:

Is it possible to send the .MOV file and have it show up in the sequence that I have already spent hours editing?

Again, I'm not quite clear on what you are asking. You can definitely do AE work and drop it into your Premiere Pro sequence.

I would like to be able to make a composition out of the original file that is in the bin (the .mov file) and have that change reflected in my timeline on Premiere Pro. Not sure if this is possible and haven't been able to figure it out thus far.

I have read many tutorials and help files. I usually do that for hours before asking anything on this forum, but didn't find a solution or at least one that applied to my specific situation.  If you have any other info that would help with the remaining Q's it would be greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: How to send multiple files to After Effects from Premiere Pro
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

elizachristine wrote:

I meant that most of the time, when I send a dynamic link, it mashes all of the cuts into one long sequence and I want to be able to keep everything separate. For now i have just decided to send each cut as a separate file. Takes forever, but it works. I would love to know how to send them all and change them all at the same time.

Oh. If you do the import I suggested, you'll have each cut on it's own layer in AE. And you can use the Trim Compose script from Video Copilot to make each cut its own composition, but I don't know of an easy way to put all of those back into Premiere via Dynamic Link.

Most professional workflows involve getting edit lock (or pretty close to it) before doing work in AE to avoid just this sort of issue.

elizachristine wrote:

I would like to be able to make a composition out of the original file that is in the bin (the .mov file) and have that change reflected in my timeline on Premiere Pro. Not sure if this is possible and haven't been able to figure it out thus far.

You would need to replace the MOV file in a sequence with an AE composition. Then you can just adjust it to any length you want.

Again, this isn't an ideal workflow. What, exactly, are you trying to do? It'd be crazy to do work on a two minute shot in AE and then only use a few seconds of it in Premiere. General practice is to edit first, then add visual effects/motion graphics/color grade.