2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 9:42 AM by localp32249067

Why does InDesign CC crash when double clicking to open a file?

localp32249067

On a frequent but irregular basis InDesign CC crashes when I double click to open an IDCC file. The file then becomes damaged and usually it is unrecoverable. These are files I created in InDesign CC. The crash occurs immediately after double clicking on the document name. My very old previous version of ID used to be excellent about recovering files after a crash. But with this version (CC 2015) the files usually cannot be recovered and any attempt to reopen them simply causes another crash. I end up having to rebuild files from scratch--very time consuming and costly!

• 1. Re: Why does InDesign CC crash when double clicking to open a file?
          Derek Cross Level 6

Have you tried trashing your InDesign preferences?

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard - if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow!

You may need to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it.

• 2. Re: Why does InDesign CC crash when double clicking to open a file?
            localp32249067 Level 1

Derek, thank you for your response!

I tried that a few days ago. Don't know if it helped. Have not had any crashes since then, but then the crashes are very irregular. I sometimes go for days with no problem, then it will happen 2-3 times in one day. Hopefully, the problem is fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do you have any insight about the inability of CC to recover documents/files? Should CC be better at recovering them then I have experienced?

Norm