6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 3:06 AM by StudioServant

Applescript won't compile for CC 2015

StudioServant Level 1

I have many InDesign scripts that will no longer compile when I open them in Script Editor to make changes. It is not the changes themselves that cause this, they won't compile or save even with the original script. Also, they run properly. I don't have this issue compiling scripts for Illustrator. This issue also happens with the scripts that come shipped with InDesign.

• 1. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015
          Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Do you have a small example script that works on a pre 2015? (in which case state which version it works on)

Which OS do you have?

• 2. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015
            StudioServant Level 1

Hi Trevor

Thanks for your response

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

tell document preferences of document 1

set theBleed to document bleed top offset

end tell

end tell

This will only compile if I knock off the "CC 2015" in the first line. Then I am prompted to say which application. After choosing Adobe InDesign CC 2015 it compiles. But then it will not save! I get the same error, the word "top" is highlighted and I get a Syntax Error "Expected end of line but found identifier"

Something like this happens with every single applescript that uses commands that relate to InDesign's dictionary.

I am running El Capitan. In fact, it might have been since this upgrade that I have an issue come to think of it.

• 3. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015

Hi

I reproduced the problem.

The following simple script works.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

set doc to make document

end tell

I suspect that the problem might be caused by multiple installs of ID, do you have that?

I don't have any advise maybe you can invite to the thread she does a lot of applescripting for ID you can send her a pm by clicking on the link

I see when I run a script that a second instance of ID pops up.

Sorry I can't help any more, regards.

Trevor

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 18.47.49.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015
                StudioServant Level 1

Hi Trevor

I have two versions of preferences for v 11.0 because I installed the Middle East edition. Your reply led me to think that maybe if I zapped the preferences it would help. I tried that and it seems to fix the issue.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015

Hi

Quite amusing that, I also have the ME version on my system.

Makes one think if zapping preferences could solve other problems in the ME

Please mark the question as answered (mark either my our your answer as correct).

I have one question for you. How do you preserve the colors when copying from the applescript editor to the browser?

Thanks

Trevor

• 6. Re: Applescript won't compile for CC 2015
                    StudioServant Level 1

Hi Trevor

I realised that I didn't answer your question about the colours. I just copied and pasted from Applescript Editor. However, when I just tried it now the text is negatively indented.

The issue with the script not compiling is back again, so if you or anyone else out there has any ideas…