2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 10:58 PM by john beardsworth

Help: Moving from Aperture, Need Assistance with Library Management

besakof Level 1

Hello,

I am currently in the process of switching from Aperture to Lightroom. I know there is a plug in to assist with this transfer. That I am not concerned about (not right now at least, haven't started to switch formerly yet).

Question is, I want to know if there is a way to have a similar library management method as I do with Aperture. I am a concert/event photographer, doing many events per week. Having a small hard drive on my Macbook Pro (256gb), I can't possibly store my library on my computer. So, I do the following:

My main library is on an external hard drive (which I frequently back up as well). After an event, I create on Aperture a new library locally on my computer so I can quickly edit photos on my computer without it slowing down from an external drive. After a few events/few hundred photos have built up on my local library, I plug in my external drive with the main library, open Aperture, and import the entire Library. I then delete the local library (having it now on my hard drive/main library), rinse, repeat. 

One of the reasons I like Aperture is because the library management is rather clean. One single file, containing my entire library of photos and edits.

What is confusing me is how I could possibly accomplish this (either similar way or one equally as simple) with Lightroom? I'm confused how the whole library management goes with Lightroom in comparison to Aperture.

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out here/walk me through this and explain it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help: Moving from Aperture, Need Assistance with Library Management
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am unsure how Aperture works but I think you can do something similar to what you’re describing with LR using Import Catalog.  

However, what I’d do, instead, is have the entire LR Library catalog database (not the photos just the settings and remembered locations), the .lrcat file, stored on the internal drive, for speed.  It should only be a few GB, I’d guess.  Then, initially, you’d import and edit your recent photos on your internal drive like you do now, but when you’re finished, just use LR to move those photos via drag-and-drop in the folders panel, to your external drive, so the space used by the photos is freed on your internal drive but the photos are still accessible from within LR whenever you have the external drive connected.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help: Moving from Aperture, Need Assistance with Library Management
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You won't get one single file. Aperture allows a managed method where the aplibrary contains the images as well as the work - Lightroom doesn't. Lightroom only has what Aperture calls "referenced" photos, separating the catalogue from the photos.

In practice, it wouldn't make much difference. New work would be on your computer in a single "job" folder which contains folders of photos and the catalogue. Your main catalogue and photos would be on the external drive. When you plug it in, you open this main catalogue and use File > Import as Catalog. This brings in the other catalogue's work and gives options to move or copy the photos referenced in that catalogue and place them on the external drive. Once this is done, you could remove the job folder.

You might also look at keeping the main catalogue on your computer - space won't be an issue because, unlike a managed Aperture library, Lr always separates the catalogue from the photos. So existing photos could continue to reside on the external drive, and you could generate "smart previews" which would allow you to access the photos even when the external drive isn't attached.

This Moving from Aperture to Lightroom article may help you later.

John

1 person found this helpful