4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 2:50 PM by nickb15228652

Lightroom 6.6 - Adjustment brush applying adjustment universally

nickb15228652

I have just upgraded to Lightroom 6.6 and have found that the Adjustment Brush is applying my exposure adjustment to all areas of a similar tonal range to the one I am 'painting', instead of limiting itself to just the 'painted' area.

I am using an i5 27" 2013 iMac with 24GB RAM and OSX 10.11.5.Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 15.08.14.png

Is there a simple setting I am missing, or is this a bug? The screenshot shows the selected area although I only 'painted' the white front of the cupboard in the centre of the frame.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.6 - Adjustment brush applying adjustment universally
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi nickb ,

The exposure adjustment is not visible as you have applied a mask.

I tried reproducing it at my end but it is working as expected.

You are using a preset applying the adjustments.Try using a default preset or simply change a different adjustment and see if it helps.

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 6.6 - Adjustment brush applying adjustment universally
            nickb15228652 Level 1

Hi Akash,

The first shot shows the image before the adjustment, the second after applying the brush to the cupboard door in the centre. I have exaggerated the effect in the second shot by turning the adjustment way up. As you can see it has spilled over onto the floor, ceiling, walls and the other cupboard.

I have just found out that it doesn't affect all files. I have just started working on a different view of the kitchen and that appears to be fine.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 15.48.14.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 15.51.58.png

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6.6 - Adjustment brush applying adjustment universally
              Bob Somrak Level 5

You are using the GLOBAL sliders.  Click the little black triangle in the AMOUNT slider section below EDIT and above -0.28 in your screenshot to open the LOCAL sliders.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.28.04 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom 6.6 - Adjustment brush applying adjustment universally
                nickb15228652 Level 1

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your input.

I did try with the triangle clicked to reveal the full menu options (I had always thought this triangle was just a means of accessing more than one action). I had the Exposure adjustment set, but all other options to zero, but the result was the same - it was selecting a much larger area than just the segment I 'painted'.

I could try trashing the Prefs file, but I'm reluctant to just yet as there's a fair bit of work involved recording all the settings I currently have in place.

I have noticed that when LR is active there is very little free memory. I have Memory Monitor which is showing almost no free memory, over 16GB is being used by the Cache. Could this be having an effect? I don't recall a problem before the recent update. Strangely though, when painting in an adjustment it seems to be instantly responsive, which was't always the case prior to this update.