4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 2:39 PM by Rick Gerard

[Time Sensitive] Rendering everything black except particular layer

ryanl52008205

I am attempting to render out a large format video for a large parlor screen through the media encoder queue.

-QuickTime

-Match Source (Rewrap)

-Resolution: 13,250x1,611

-24 FPS

When viewing the project at full resolution/down sample factor at Full, the composition preview is black.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.55.07 AM.png

However, when I bring the resolution/down sample factor to half, or below my project appears.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.55.33 AM.png

When I render out the scene, the only thing that appears is my particular layer, and everything else is black. The composition was created in a Photoshop file and imported to After Effects where effects have been applied. The effects that have been applied are Particular, Wave Warp, Light Rays, and Fast Blur. I have attempted using other codecs, such as H264 with the same result.

This is a time sensitive project that needs to be finished before the release of a film on Thursday, any timely help would be immensely appreciated.

Export Settings: (Still shows only black, except for the particles in particular)

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 11.09.13 AM.png

• 1. Re: [Time Sensitive] Rendering everything black except particular layer
          ryanl52008205 Level 1

I have discovered that if I disable Wave Warp, I am able to render without it rendering just black. However, I do need the Warp for this Scene. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this, or why Wave Warp is causing the scene to render as black?

• 2. Re: [Time Sensitive] Rendering everything black except particular layer
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Couple of things.

1. Set the composition resolution to auto not full and then check with the magnification factor said to 100% - there is no way to get a accurate preview at 14% magnification and Full resolution
            2. Go to the frame where wave warp is giving you problems and save that frame as a file using the composition menu just render out a single full resolution frame
            3. Your frame size has odd numbers - this is extremely unusual because video compression  is always even numbered horizontal and vertical or dimensions so if you are just guessing on the frame size check with the folks that make the software that is going to play back this monster because odds are better than 100 to 1 that your frame size is wrong
            4. I don't know how you are using wave warp but it could easily run out of calculating ability on a comp this big so either try a different  distortion effect or isolate just that shot and pre-render or work out some other option (Displacement map)
            5. There is no way I would ever do my initial render on a project this big as any kind of movie file because of the risk of a crash so render an image sequence so you can pick up or re-render any frames that are fouled up
            6. if there are cuts in your piece or even simple opacity fades try splitting up your composition into shots and render each shot separately as an image sequence

I hope this helps.

• 3. Re: [Time Sensitive] Rendering everything black except particular layer
              ryanl52008205 Level 1

Thank you very much for the reply.

The wave warp is used throughout the entire background under water image to give it a bit of under water motion. The resolution is odd, however these were the specs given to me for this specific project. The next person in line will be cutting up the final render to be dispersed to the multiple screens it will be projected on. The black rectangles represent the spacing between the television arrays.

I am hoping that I have found a solution to the problem, by rendering it out without the wave warp, and then applying the wave warp to the finished video output, and render it again.

This was a bit of a bizarre problem I haven't run into before.

• 4. Re: [Time Sensitive] Rendering everything black except particular layer
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To simulate water I would have used a displacement map and caustics. Much more realistic but a little more difficult to set up and you don't have a calculation issue.