5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 9:31 PM by wobertc

Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4

bruceb3654279

I am a very new lightroom user.  In fact, we bought it at my niece's suggestion, but have done very little with it.  I recently bought some presets online, but cannot figure out how to add a new folder.  IN watching the video, I am fine until it says add folder by rightclicking in the presets area on the left.  I see that, but right click and nothing happens.  And when I go to the Develop dropdown menu, new preset folder is in gray and therefore I cannot select it.  I bought these presets and am now thinking I may never be able to use them.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right click on one of the main folders such as "Lightroom General Presets" and you should be able to create your new folder.

• 2. Re: Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Steps to import presets (using Lightroom)-

1. The purchased presets must be in a folder that is not a zip folder. So if your templates are in a zip file it should be 'expanded' first. Note the location of this folder.

2. In Lightroom open the Develop module.

3. Open/Expand the Presets panel

4. Right-click on the "User Presets" folder (or another)

ScreenShot002.jpg

5. Select "Import..."

6. In the Finder/Explorer window that opens navigate to the folder of templates (noted in step 1.).

7. Select all the  .lrtemplate files in the folder- [Ctrl+A]

8. Click [Import]

Note: Only one hierarchy of sub-folders is allowed in the Presets panel, so importing a 'Folder' may not happen. Select the .lrtemplate files instead.

Presets can be moved between folders in the Presets panel, and new folders created to move them into after import.

You also need to be aware of the type of presets- were they "Develop" presets, or "Local Adjustment" presets. The steps above only apply to "Develop" presets.

Alternatively using a 'manual' method-

If you locate your presets folders using the 'Presets' tab in the Preferences dialog, you can use the operating system to copy&paste the .lrtemplate files from the download folder to the appropriate Presets folder.

• 3. Re: Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Also, please refer the below tutorial for the same.(screenshot for your references)

How To Install Presets

Regards,

Mohit

• 4. Re: Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4
                danielb22453844

hey ive brought loads of presets online and ive been sent a lot of folders with like 20 black and white .......35 of this .....45 of this and there just no end of folders is there a way i can install them at the same time rather then one by one ??

many thanks

• 5. Re: Need help adding presets folder in Lightroom 4
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Use the operating system 'Manual' method of copying the folders into the default locations-

Assuming they are all "Develop" presets (not "Brush" presets)

In the OS, Just select ALL the folders with preset templates, Ctrl+C (to copy), navigate to the Develop Presets folder and Ctrl+V (to paste)

My default location is-

C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets

*Note: You can only have ONE level of sub-folders.

So you might have

C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\ .... containing the following folders-

....20 black and white

....35 of this

....45 of this

Note: In Lightroom you can rename preset folders, and use prefix numbers to make them sort 'alpha/numerically'

ScreenShot164.jpg ScreenShot165.jpg