6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 5:34 AM by D Fosse

Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB

DKwon

I've just exported a collection of photos.  The exports look right, but then I upload them to my site or to FB, the color changes. Here's a screen shot of the same file. On the left it's in the photo preview in Windows and on the right it's on my site/in a browser. Any ideas of how to have them upload pretty closely to the actual export? LR5 and Windows 10 are up to date. FB always seems to yellow up a bit (the one on the left is more yellow than what i'm seeing exporting directly from LR, but the on on the right is just crazy. I am exporting sRGB.

yellow.JPG

I just got a new computer and reinstalled LR.  It's a clean install of Windows 10 and there was an update just the other day.  This did not appear to be happening on my old computer so presumably it's some setting in the new computer that's different.

I'm ready to proof for my client, but I can't until she can see them correctly (and be able to upload them to her own FB once she gets her files)

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What color profile are you exporting with in LR 5?

What display profile do you have installed on Windows 10?

As far as the two images you've shown screenshots of, the left one looks a little bluish and the right one looks more yellowish.  However, each is cooler in the shadows and warmer in the highights.  Is this what you've done on purpose in LR?

• 2. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
            DKwon Level 1

@ssprengle
            The problem was actually corrected with a reboot.  I had changed the default icc profile and it messed it up until I rebooted.  (at least I guess that was the problem)

I now have this showing in my color management.  Am I to assume the top one is the default profile?  And if so, does that trump my calibrated display settings or do they work together somehow?  I'm exporting with sRGB.

Obviously I'm completely new to the color profile thing.

And yes, for this particular photo, I was going for the bluish look not a true b/w.

• 3. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
              DKwon Level 1

oops sorry - misspelled your name @ssprengel

• 4. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is very likely a defective monitor profile. Presumably your web browser (Firefox?) is color managed and uses the monitor profile - while Windows Photos is not and just ignores the monitor profile.

There's no screenshot in your post. But you only have one profile for each display - that's the one marked (default) in the Windows Color Management dialog. This is the profile that all color managed applications will use.

Where does the profile come from? Are you using a calibrator? Sometimes broken profiles are installed through Windows Update.

• 5. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
                  DKwon Level 1

Oh shoot, I forgot the screen shot and I'm on a different computer right now.  It shows 3 profiles, the sGRB that I visually calibrated (no calibrator yet, I'm just testing out the waters to see if I want to do some pro work), the sRGB IEC61966-2.1  profile and the default Dell monitor profile.  None of them are clearly marked as default.  I just got this computer and there was a Windows update done the first day I had it.  The one listed first is the sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

• 6. Re: Exported photos turning yellow when uploaded to my site or to FB
                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK. I suggest you use sRGB. Click on it to mark it as default, and close out.

Manufacturer profiles are notoriously all over the map and should be avoided. Often they are outright broken and you may wonder why they even take the trouble.

A calibrator isn't so much for modifying the monitor itself (that's just a small part of it). The really important thing a calibrator does is to write a monitor profile for color managed apps to use. A monitor profile is an accurate description of the monitor's actual response (calibrated or not). Color managed applications use this to correct the data before it is sent to the monitor.

If you want accurate display of your files, a calibrator is a must - as long as you know that applications that are not color managed won't use the profile. So there will always be small differences between those two.