9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 9:34 AM by Akash Sharma

Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram

shikamu Level 1

I updated to LR CC 2015.6 a few days ago.  With 2015.5 it rarely used more than 2gb of ram and even then only after I had been using it a lot.  Usually it was between 0.5 and 1.5 gb.  With 2015.6 though I am often seeing that it is using more than 3gb of ram.  Doing the same kind of work, same size raw files, etc.  When I first start 2015.6 it is using about the same as 2015.5 did when it was first started, but after using it awhile it often gets to more than 3gb.  Anyone else seen a dramatic increase in the amount of ram used?  I'm on Win8.1.  Anyone else seeing a large increase in ram usage?

I didn't see any announcement from Adobe about the 50-100% increase in ram usage.  I would think that at the very least this should have been highlighted.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
          shikamu Level 1

I checked and Adobe has not changed their ram recommendations for 2015.6.  It is the same as it has been since LR 5 first came out:

2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When is this happening? In which module?

A big change in .6 is to pre-loading images. Develop should be faster when you initially take a picture into it, and Lightroom then loads into RAM the 2 images before and 2 images after the current image, so when you navigate in either direction you should see loading time improvements.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
              Sunil_Bhaskaran Adobe Employee

Is there any other service like sync is running in parallel?

Thanks,

Sunil

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                shikamu Level 1

John, I first noticed it while in the Develop module when I happened to have the Task Manager running.  Even when I switch back to the Library module though the ram usage usually stays quite high, much higher than 2015.5 and earlier versions.  I have been using LR for almost 5 years since LR 4 came out (I have had LR 4, 5, and now CC and all the updates for all 3 versions) and I often have the Task Manager running to check my ram usage.  I typically have LR running along with Firefox (usually 12 tabs open), Faststone, 2-3 File Explorer windows open, Notepad, Calculator, and sometimes PS CC too.  I work on 16mp files so not huge.  My big 17.3" laptop that I have had for 4 years has 8gb and my new HP Spectre x360 13.3" ultrabook that I just bought 2 weeks ago for travel also has 8gb.  Now with this new version of LR and with no warning from Adobe about the huge increase of ram usage the 8gb which has always been fine is borderline now.  With all the stuff I had running mentioned above I usually was only using 60-75% or ram.  Sometimes I would see it get up to 85-90% if I was using LR and then shipped a photo over to PS to work on too.

I realize that this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing for Adobe.  Everyone wants faster LR performance, but such a huge increase in ram usage with no warning or notice about it from Adobe is not so good.  I am seeing that LR is using 50-100% more ram.  That is not a trivial change.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                  shikamu Level 1

Sunil, no, I am just running the basic functions of LR:  Library and Develop.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

john beardsworth wrote:

When is this happening? In which module?

A big change in .6 is to pre-loading images. Develop should be faster when you initially take a picture into it, and Lightroom then loads into RAM the 2 images before and 2 images after the current image, so when you navigate in either direction you should see loading time improvements.

It appears this change has created a memory leak: Lightroom 2015.6 Extremely Slow | Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                      shikamu Level 1

Thank you.  That looks like it may be a related or the same problem.  I read in that thread a workaround that I tried and it works for me too:

Someone had discovered that if you minimize the LR window and then maximize it you will immediately get a significant reduction in LR ram usage.  It works.  I was at 3gb+ and while watching the task manager I minimized LR and then a couple of seconds later maximized it.  I immediately saw that the LR ram usage went down by over 1gb.  Clearly Adobe has some sort of bug, but this is a better workaround than having to constantly kill LR and restart it.

3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                        Shaiith Level 1

In my case, Lightroom has slowed because of higher consumption of RAM.

Previously Lightroom consumed 4-8 GB of RAM.

After the update 2015.6 Lightroom consumes 15-20 GB of RAM, that slowed down Lightroom considerably.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 uses much more ram
                          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi All,

This issue should be fixed in the CC 2015.6.1 update that went live today.Please update Lightroom to latest version.Refer the link Lightroom CC 2015.6.1 now available

Regards,

Akash