3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 7:26 AM by Szalam

AE hangs or freezes if autosave runs while previewing.

Incept2ed

Hey guys, so this is occasionally happening to me on big projects.

I'm using 13.7.1.6 atm on Windows 10.

The autosave will pop up in a blank white dialogue and will continue the preview in the background, but sometimes it will just never go away or crash (http://i.imgur.com/ZhHzyhg.png).

Occasionally it will go away and save fine and allow you to keep working, but then sometimes it will produce other dialogue box's that you have to click 100's of times for you to be able to get back to the program such as this http://i.imgur.com/xyiph25.png (another variation is the drawer buffer).

Was just wondering if anyone knows whats going on or if this is should be listed as a bug?
      I think autosave shouldn't run while you are previewing, it should wait for previews to stop to avoid this issue.

I'll be happy to share more information, but for now, I'm not sure what else to include.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: AE hangs or freezes if autosave runs while previewing.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It certainly sounds like a bug. You can file a bug report here.

Now, there is a new version of AE coming out "soon" that has a new preview system that will probably fix this bug. The sneak peek videos from Adobe and their NAB presentations talked about how much more stable this new previewing system is. I would be unsurprised if it fixes your issue.

In the past three years, the new version of AE has come out in June. So, if it happens this year too, you will only have a week or two to find out if your problem is gone.

• 2. Re: AE hangs or freezes if autosave runs while previewing.
            Incept2ed Level 1

yeah, the randomness of the bug was just kinda confusing me, but I assume it's just because this system isn't that stable as you alluded too. I went ahead and filed a report but I hope you're right with that update news. Looking forward to it because random crashes have been a lot more frequent after the 'real-time' update.

I'll go ahead and mark you correct as It seems like a fairly isolated thing and my question was pretty vague anyway haha.

• 3. Re: AE hangs or freezes if autosave runs while previewing.
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Incept2ed wrote:

forward to it because random crashes have been a lot more frequent after the 'real-time' update.

I know what you mean! I'm very excited about the future of AE despite the issues CC 2015 had. They're separating the UI and the renderer for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. It's been a bit buggy in the beginning, but they're laying the groundwork for a much better system in the future (I hope!)