16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 9:22 AM by mashiaragraphics

InDesign Link Problem

mashiaragraphics

Hello. I do the design work for a magazine. I typically send the Indd file to the editor to make article changes, then she sends it back to me. A couple months ago, when she sent it back, it no longer remembered the link paths and I had to relink every single image, ad, graphic etc. It's been that way ever since. Does anybody know how to fix this??

• 1. Re: InDesign Link Problem
          Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

Sure. Go to the Links panel in InDesign by choosing Window > Links. Now click in the panel menu (far upper-right corner of the Links panel) and choose Relink to folder. Choose the folder that contains all of your graphics and InDesign will relink to the graphics in that folder. If your graphics are stored in multiple folders, you may need to repeat this process a few times but each time you perform the operation, only the graphics that have not been relinked will remain selected.

• 2. Re: InDesign Link Problem
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

When sharing files with someone else, use the Package command on both ends. You package the file and send it to her, and she packages the updated file and sends it back. Package gathers up all of the document assets. Zip the folder and send it on it's way.

Here's a 5 min video that you can share with her and you will avoid this situation in the future: Package files for handoff in InDesign | Adobe InDesign CC tutorials .

• 3. Re: InDesign Link Problem
              mashiaragraphics Level 1

That's what I've been doing, but the links are all organized in different folders for each advertising client and different articles, so it is very time consuming.

• 4. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                mashiaragraphics Level 1

I've been packaging it on my end, but she doesn't package it when she sends it back. We'll give that a try and see if it works. Thank you!

• 5. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                  Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Packaging will lose all your link organisation and put all your links into one folder. So your editor opens the file and re-links to the new link folder, breaking your original link paths.

Does your editor need to have the actual links if they're just making text changes? If not, you could just send the INDD document, and hopefully, when you get it back it will remember the link paths.

Maybe InCopy is worth a look?

• 6. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

InCopy is absolutely worth a look and at $5.00/month for an annual subscription is just about a no brainer now.

• 7. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                      BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I'm an InCopy trainer and fan, so no argument there (although there's a small learning curve to get up and running on the various workflows), but am wondering about Danny's response:

Packaging will lose all your link organisation and put all your links into one folder. So your editor opens the file and re-links to the new link folder, breaking your original link paths.

I think the strength of Packaging in putting everything into one project folder. I do this anyway as I start a job: I create a project folder and everything that pertains to that project goes in it. When I'm done, I zip up the folder and archive it. I have long-term clients who routinely ask for reprints (sometimes with minor updates) of layouts completed years ago. By having the archived folder, it's an easy task. If my assets are scattered around various drives, I can guarantee this would be a nightmare.

Packaging can allow one who is less organized and/or experienced get organized after the fact.

• 8. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I've no doubt that Packaging has its benefits, but personally, I rarely use it for work in progress. I'd much prefer to keep my assets organised in a particular way (certainly not scattered), especially ones that are used in multiple jobs.

I'll generally have a folder for a client with a 'Common Assets' folder within it, that will contain their logos etc. For things like regular mailers that contain a different array of product deals each issue, many of which get repeated, I'll have a folder of product shots, organised by brand. I guess this is similar to the OP's method of filing ads.

For assets that are specific to a job, I'll put them an 'Assets' folder within the job folder, similar to what Packaging does, but I might have subfolders called 'Graphics', 'Images' etc.

I will occasionally use Packaging to clean up all the unused assets that have built up in a job's Assets folder, though, and for its intended purpose of getting all the necessary files over to someone else, but that's pretty rare these days.

• 9. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                          Abambo Level 4

Package is no good in this case, as it changes the links to a copy of the graphics. That is fine for sending a final copy of an InDesign work, but not for iteratively getting back and forth.

There should be no problem in your workflow, except if "someone" is relinking graphics to somewhere, to get rid of that error message.

Take a look at to where the links are pointing when you get the InDesign file back and compare that to your original links.

• 10. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                            Abambo Level 4

Packaging is not the good way to work for some types of workflow.

I reuse graphics heavily on different projects. This would create a copy of the data instead of accessing the original data. When that data changes (because the illustrator file has been updated to reflect a new situation), you need to redo the work of linking the new graphics into your document...if you still remember or even learn that the file has changed.

Also data for a certain subject is grouped at one place. I would scatter that, when adopting your type of workflow.

• 11. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                              Abambo Level 4

I typically send the Indd file to the editor to make article changes, then she sends it back to me.

That means only the Indd file or also the pictures and graphics?

• 12. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                                mashiaragraphics Level 1

Only the Indesign file and the fonts. I don't send her all of the links because she is only editing text.

• 13. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                                  mashiaragraphics Level 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm not really sure the conversation about packaging is relevant to the issue I'm having. I've always sent her the file and fonts and she sends me the file back. No problems with relinking. Even if she changed the document name. I just drop it in the same folder it was in and it keeps it's links. But all of the sudden she sent me a file back and it didn't remember the paths. Now that's happening every time. InCopy sounded like a good idea at first, but it seems like I would have to store all of the files including links, on dropbox (since we work remotely). If I'm going to do that, I might as well give her access to the file and skip the hassle of selecting certain stories for her to edit in InCopy. But I don't think I have enough storage space on my dropbox for this. The magazine is about 350 MBs.

• 14. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                                    Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

I agree, although packaging has its benefits, in your workflow you want to stay linked to the original graphics, not the ones in the package folder. That breaks the workflow in my opinion. I'm still trying to understand why the links don't update when you get the files back.

Are you able to reproduce this problem? What I'd be interested in finding out would be to look at the link path for a couple of the links before you send it. I'm sure they're up to date at that point and we can see where the links are linking to. Now I'd like to see the path of the links when the file is sent back to you. If it isn't linking them up to the original location (which it should) I'd like to know where InDesign is looking for the path to those links. Also, what version of InDesign are you both using? Please be specific (i.e. 2015.3, etc.).

I'm sure you know this, but the way it SHOULD work is that even if the other person doesn't have the links, as long as they don't re-link those links to another location, when you open the file, it should find the original files and just update them. Keep us posted, I'd like to determine why this is happening.

• 15. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                                      Abambo Level 4

Look for the paths of the links (original and back). Try to figure out, how they change and if the change is consistent. If you have more infos on that, you can post them.

Your workflow is logical to me, I would work the same way (and sometimes I do).

• 16. Re: InDesign Link Problem
                                        mashiaragraphics Level 1

Ok, so after some testing I've figured out the problem. When the file comes back it's looking for the links in a folder on the desktop. I was packaging the file in order to get the fonts collected. What I was doing wrong is... when I packaged I would save that to the desktop for easy access instead of in the folder where the original working file is. So once I got the file back and placed it back into the correct folder it had lost the original paths. So there we go.