6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 11:04 AM by Alexander Morozov

How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras

Alexander Morozov

How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras?

I'm running the latest LR5 5.7.1 version but can't open raw files from Sony cameras, a7 and a7RII.

Please help.

• 1. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras
          dj_paige Level 9

Sony A7 should import just fine in Lightroom 5.7.1. Exactly what is happening? What is the exact complete unedited word-for-word error message?

Sony A7R II requires Lightroom 6.1.1/Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 or later. You'd have to purchase one of these; or alternatively, use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert these RAW to DNG, which can be imported into LR.

• 2. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras
            Alexander Morozov Level 1

dj_paige, Thanks for your quick reply.

So I'm forced to purchase a new version just to see raw files? That's disappointing. I would rather not do a conversion to DNG as it adds wasteful step in the editing.

Sony A7 can't be imported, just like the Sony A7RII. I've just got both of them recently and updated the firmware on the A7. Maybe it's the firmware. I was not able to see if the old RAW files were opening.

• 3. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras
              dj_paige Level 9

dj_paige, Thanks for your quick reply.

So I'm forced to purchase a new version just to see raw files?

What? No one is forcing you to buy anything. Adobe offers a FREE alternative, as I explained. Yes, it involves an extra step. You get to choose, extra step but FREE, or no extra step but involves a purchase. Nothing is forced on you.

Regarding the A7, you didn't explain what happens and what the complete error message is, as I specifically requested.

• 4. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras

In current situation if I want to see RAW files from the sony cameras I mentioned I have two options:

1. Transfer the files into a DNG

2. Purchase the next version of LR.

First option creates a waste of time and space since DNG files are larger if I want to keep the original RAWs.

Second option forces me to buy Adobe next version of LR.

As a user of Lightroom, if I don't need the latest new feature I should not be forced to upgrade.

I just want to use the same features on my LR5.

Hope this explains why I feel Adobe is forcing me to change my routine or to spend more money just to open raw files from the sony cameras I mentioned above.

IDEAL SOLUTION would like to see an update to LR5 maybe 5.7.2 where the RAW files will be visible.

• 5. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras
                  dj_paige Level 9

A complete mis-use of the word "forced". No one is forcing you to upgrade. You are given a choice.

If you said "I don't like these two choices, I want a 3rd choice", that may be a fair statement. No one is forcing you to upgrade. You are given a choice.

• 6. Re: How to open Sony Raw files in LR5 - a7 and a7RII cameras

My point is that Adobe is squeezing it's current customers, just like in my situation, for buying a new version of software instead of providing support for previous version.

I have been using LR since version 1, and upgraded all the way to 5. Didn't see advantage of going to LR6 until I realized that I RAW files are not working.

I just purchased LR6 and updated to LR6.6 version and all the RAWs are working.

My goal was to see and edit RAW files from sony a7RII camera in LR.

The only way to do that was to purchase LR6 since LR5 updates were not supporting RAW files of the a7RII camera (and some others)

I call it un-necessary upgrade because I was happy with LR5.

Would have been happier if Adobe would have continued supporting it's previous version LR with updates to current RAWs.