3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 6:51 AM by adamlewen

Letting a client an ability to control images?

adamlewen
      Hello there! (haven't been here in a while).
      I need to design a very simple photo gallery, where 3 slots are showing 6 photos. (each slot is automatically switching between 2 different photos). Simple.
      A good reference of such design will be the gallery on adobe's website :
      http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/ (although here they don't change...)

I would need to let the client the ability of changing these photos later on.

Is there a simple way, or example that someone can share with me of approaching something like that?
      I am trying to avoid republishing a swf file each time...

Thanks a lot!

Adam.
        • 1. Re: Letting a client an ability to control images?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          You can use a data file to define what pictures get loaded that could easily be edited by a client. If you use an xml file for the data it becomes fairly easy to manage from an editing point of view. And beyond that the client only needs to size and upload the images to the server.

If you visit gotoandlearn.com there are probably a couple of tutorials there regarding how to implement xml with Flash, likely one for whichever version of actionscript you'd be using.

If you've never dealt with Flash/xml, it's worth getting a handle on. It opens up a new world of possibilities.
          • 2. Re: Letting a client an ability to control images?
            adamlewen Level 1
            Will look into that!
            Thanks.
            • 3. Letting a client an ability to control images?
              adamlewen Level 1
              Yey! Ned thanks. This is it. seems XML with flash is a great way of doing that.
              I made a basic image viewer and I can change the images via the xml!

I will both look online and ask you or anyone else right now for the my next step.

I want to have a couple of image holders
              Each holder will have 2 or 3 images transitioning in it.
              I would use the XML to change the images every once in a while...

Anyone has an idea of how to approach it? How can I transition images in a holder?
              Again, I am on a basic level but I get the gist of it
              :)
              Thanks in advanced.