8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 9:13 AM by claudeduguay

'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%

claudeduguay Level 1

I searched the forums for related issues but found no suitable answers so here is a description of my current problem:

I've been doing frequent round trips and builds via trial-and-error builds today and at some point 'Update code' started timing out. I presume the form upload is working since I see the percentage count in Chrome on Windows. When it reaches 100% is hangs in limbo and eventually goes to a blank browser page (the URL/address is the same so I presume it's failing to get confirmation from the server rather than switching pages).

Clues: one of my zip uploads was apparently missing the index.html file at one point and the problem seems to have manifested at that point. I saw warnings on the portal and subsequent attempts at replacing the ZIP content (via Update code') seem to be failing.

So related questions are:

1) What would cause this and how can I recover?

2) Are there limitations on the number of ZIP file uploads on the free account (can't find anything in the docs) in a given day?

3) Is there any way to reach the current zip file online? Maybe deleting replacing it via FTP, HTML or something would be useful.

• 2. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
          claudeduguay Level 1

Is there a way to get priority on this? If I'm a paid member do I get some level of support. I have tried uploading my zip file using gulp-phonegap-build, curl, online portal, etc. The description remains the same

App ID
          <snip>

Version
          I can build but I never get the updated file which has a 1.0.4 version in config.xml. I cna run my app in PhoneGap Developer. this used to work. Incredibly frustrating. Please help
          • 3. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
            kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional
            1. Any number of issues could be getting in the way here -- it could be something on your computer (antivirus related, perhaps?), something with your ISP, or something with the PGB backend. It's hard to know which (especially since I'm not PGB staff and can't take a look at the backend! Their service page looks green, though: PhoneGap Build Service Status )
            2. There aren't any limits as far as I know. I would have to defer to PGB staff on this. (I would expect some anti-spam measures are in place, but that's just guessing on my part.)
            3. No way that I know of. All I know to do would be to delete the app in question from PhoneGap build and create a new one. Have you tried doing that, or does the issue eventually occur with any app you create?

Some questions for you:

1. What is the project structure of what you are uploading to PGB?
            2. Are you using hydration?
            3. Have you tried using a git repo? That might help alleviate your issues (although I think you have to create a new app to switch to using a git repo).
            • 4. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
              claudeduguay Level 1

Re: Any number of issues could be getting in the way here -- it could be something on your computer (antivirus related, perhaps?), something with your ISP, or something with the PGB backend.

First everything was working before so it's not clear what would have changed. I'm pretty sure it's not a connectivity problem as the upload completes when I use the settings page upload vs. the Update Code button elsewhere. I've zipped the file up using 7-zip which worked before and also gulp-zip, which should be the same (I compensated for the issue related to directory permissions, per other postings). I can get a valid completion response if I upload via curl. I simple doesn't stick.

One though was that there is either a quota or a plethora of older files. I have uploaded often, both before and after this started to happen to determine the cause. The current issues that I need to resolve is that uploading the zip file either doesn't work (via the portal) or completes but doesn't update under the builds list that identifies the version number. One suspicion I have is that the server has hit a quota and has not reaped the previous uploads as it did seem to correct itself for a short time but came back after a few more attempts.

My uploads have been fairly frequent, since it doesn't work I keep trying different things, so anti-spam may be a valid suspect. There is not documentation anywhere that sheds light on what's actually going on on the server though.

Deleting the app and re-creating is is something I haven't tried yet. It feels a lot like the generic support answer for Windows 'have you tried rebooting' or to quote the IT Crowd 'have you tried turning it off and back on again'. ;-) It doesn't shed any light on the cause and just means it'll likely happen again. If it's a know issue, it should be documented.

My structure is standard and worked before. All of the www directory assets from the root of the zip file, plus the config,xml file. Took me a while to figure that out initially - docs are not very clear - but once I had that figured out everything was fine. I had incrementally, and successfully, added features, including the use of status bar plugin, icons and splash screens before this happened. I've bee pretty much stuck for 3 days because of this.

Yes hydration is on and no I have not used a git repo because this is a private project.

Thanks for helping. Let me know your thoughts and point me in the right direction if I need to connect with someone on staff for PGB. I can't even tell whether, if I paid for a better service level, I would have anything more than community support based on the relevant comparison page. It's not clear whether mission-critical application would be sufficiently well supported this way (it did take 3 days to get this response) and it's only a start (though I do appreciate it, don't get be wrong). When this app is deployed, support in times of need will become event more important.

Regards...

• 5. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
                kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

Some quick thoughts before I head off to bed:

• Try turning hydration off, upload a new version of your code, remove then reinstall the newly built app on your device.
                  • Logic: Hydration applies to web content only; it does not handle changes to plugins/config.xml. Having a mismatch there can cause all sorts of problems.
                • "Turning it off and on again": I fully acknowledge that this doesn't give you any indication of what the problem is and that it might recur. But if your timeline is short and it works, sometimes one takes the less ideal path. I don't know how tight your timelines are, but that's why I suggested it as a possible option. (Plus if it recurs, maybe it will provide additional debugging information on the backend?)
                • You should be able to build from a private repo; you get one on the free plan and 25 on the paid plans. I don't know what your account level is or if that makes sense for you to pursue. (I think you'd have to create a new app anyway to switch to a git repo.)

I hope that helps some; I know how frustrating it can be to not have any movement on a problem. I'll ping someone tomorrow if possible if there's no additional activity on the post.

• 6. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
                  claudeduguay Level 1

I will try a few things today and make sure I write something up by Monday if not later today.

1) I doubt the problem is hydration since the zip file version number isn't changing and this would seem to be pre-build. That said, if the config.xml file is scanned only at build time, this is a reasonable suspect so I will try it.That said, I get the impression the config.xml file is scanned at ZIP file upload since some errors like missing index.html (or other name) would depend on the relevant setting - assuming someone pointed to a different starting file).

2) I'll try deleting the project. I'm hesitant since it worked before. I may sign up for the paid program (since I plan to anyway) and create a new project so I can always reference back anything I had before that way.

3) I have a github account. I didn't know there were any private repos on the free account but I can check. I have a bitbucket account with private repos but that doesn't seem to be supported (although I could be wrong). Either way, this is another case where the paid program is affordable and may be worth a try.

Thanks again for your help. Your thoughts are very helpful in narrowing the cause.

• 7. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
                    claudeduguay Level 1

FYI: Deleting and re-creating the app worked so I am in a functional state.

I am very grateful for your help (thanks) but I have to say that not knowing the cause or having any way to diagnose these kinds of issues (with no actual clues pointing to a reasonable place to even start looking) seems woefully inadequate for a professional product.

Perhaps a larger investment in proper logging and feedback would be warranted here.

• 8. Re: 'Update code' times out to a blank browser page after it hits 100%
                      claudeduguay Level 1

I'm still seeing odd behavior as I upload changed zip files. Sometimes the version number updates and sometimes it doesn't. I will report details as I narrow things down if possible.