2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 9:34 AM by doognukem

Request: Unreliable UDP for P2P

lutc
      For multiplayer games, it would be good if we are able to send unreliable UDPs from peer to peer as well. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Request: Unreliable UDP for P2P
          doognukem Level 1

Unreliable UDP for P2P gaming is a feature I'd like as well. For real-time games where you're managing 8, 16, or 32 players, you'd want to be able to send positional updates (that could be dropped, and would be re-synced the next time an update is received). In real-time games you cannot afford to wait for in-order delivery of the socket stream (because the nature of it you're actually managing 16+ parallel entity simulations, that are moving forward in time and lost past data can be resynced with current data.)

• 2. Re: Request: Unreliable UDP for P2P
            doognukem Level 1

Researching it a little more it sounds like for Flash 10.1 RTMFP NetStream API has been modified to include configuration of NetStream.dataReliable.

source at 50:41 in the video: MAX 2009 - P2P on the Flash Platform with RTMFP

Partial Reliability Control at publishing peer

• NetStream.audioReliable
            • NetStream.videoReliable
            • NetStream.dataReliable

I'm not sure when Flash Player 10.1 beta will be out, but I'd really like to try it out and see how a real-time  multiplayer game can work with unreliable UDP data.