13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2016 8:04 PM by Bob Somrak

LR freeze on import (OS X)

dpgeller

I've been having problems with LR and PS since the last upgrade. The most replicable one is that LR hangs when I do an import. I found a post from April thats suggested turning off  . I did this (in preferences) closed the app and then opened it again, and was able to import. But later in the same session I tried an import again and LR hung.  I closed and reopened and it hung again. In all of these cases I'm importing files that are on the hard drive (in the folder I want them to be in), either placed there by Finder or by saving from Photoshop.

The symptom is that when I select Import I get the beginning of the  list of devices and files. In some cases not all connected devices show up, in others all the devices show up but although the triangle next to the internal hard disk is pointing down, I don't see any folders. The rainbow wheel begins to spin, and that's the end.  The LR version is 2015.5. The OS is 10.10.5 (14F1808);the machine is 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB. THe video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB but, as noted, graphics card acceleration is now disabled.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to be told that my hard disk is having problems, but I looked at the logs as best I could and didn't see any large logs or and error messages. (I do clean up permissions daily -- its part of the backup procedure).

MY first thought is to reload the app -- if I uninstall and then do a reinstall will a fresh copy be downloaded?

But, of course, I'd appreciate any more targeted suggestions.

• 1. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
          Sunil_Bhaskaran Adobe Employee

Dennis,

I assume that you upgraded recently. Could you please let us know the version of Lightroom are you using? 6.5 or 6.6?

Is the machine connected to any external drives?

If yes, could you please remove the external drive and try again?

Thanks,

Sunil

• 2. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
            dpgeller Level 1

Thanks for the reply. First off, I did make a type in the version number: I do have version 2015.6.

Update: Last night I did a manual permissions repair. This morning (after I read your reply -- you know how things always work when you pay attention) I did a number of import tests and used LR and everything was fine. Then, after spending some time on Netflix (probably irrelevant but I do get Firefox -- Silverlight I think -- taking over huge chunks of CPU sometimes when it should be idle) LR again hung on import. (And then I had to Force Quit PS, which had been openedd from LR). I did another permission repair, but that didn't help this time. I did a reboot and one of my external drives generated a transient error message. So I have dismounted that drive and will run that way for a while -- and get info from the manufacturer about looking for the logs. That's my backup drive so it isn't normally accessed, but if the import dialog goes and touches all of the drives and this one is slightly ill, that could be an explanation.

Anyway, if its ok, I'll keep testing until I get some new information. (If there are no more problems that will settle it, and if there are I can dismount another external drive...) But would welcome a suggestions that might expedite the process if any come to mind.

• 3. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
              dpgeller Level 1

THis turns out to be unrelated to external drives. I can replicate it reliably whether or not external drives are powered on by the following sequence

1. Open LR (from the CC icon on the menu bar on my iMac)

2. Do anything at all in LR

3. Select any image, right-click and choose "Edit in Photoshop"

4. Edit it in Photoshop and  save it.

5. Return to LR, so anything else, and then select Import (using the Import button).

6. The import screen opens and begins to list the drives on the system -- it may or may not liost all of them, but at some point the rainbow spinner appears and LR is hung.

• 4. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                dpgeller Level 1

Hi

I'm wondering if I have failed to do something in my replies, or if I should repost this query someplace else?

Thanks

• 5. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are not too concerned about the new Guided Upright feature you could roll back to LR CC 2015.5.1

Launch Finder and Go to:

Applications >> Utilities >> Adobe Installers

Double-click (control-click) on Lightroom CC 2015.6 to uninstall

Re boot you Mac and use the link below to install LR6.0/CC 2015.0

After successful installation download the update for LR6.5.1/ CC 2015.5.1

Install Photoshop Lightroom 

• 6. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                    ubermuse

Any progress to report? I have the exact same issue and might need to roll back as well if this actually fixed the problem for you.

• 7. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                      brendam89

I'm a new Lightroom user, as of a couple of weeks ago.  I can't import on my MacBook Pro, everytime I try I get the spinning beach ball.  I can import on the app on my phone, but with over 16,000 images I was hoping it would be faster on the Mac. I'm getting frustrated!!

• 8. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                        dpgeller Level 1

I ended up calling the help/chat line and some technician took control of my machine and rolled back LR. I haven't had the problem since. (Of course, every time I look at the CC menu I get told that there's an update to LR. Not sure how I'll know when the next upgrade comes out.

• 9. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                          dpgeller Level 1

I ended up calling the help/chat line and some technician took control of my machine and rolled back LR. I haven't had the problem since. (Of course, every time I look at the CC menu I get told that there's an update to LR. Not sure how I'll know when the next upgrade comes out.

• 10. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                            ubermuse Level 1

That sucks. Did you have to downgrade your catalogs? I installed an earlier version but it won't read my regular catalog file.

• 11. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                              dpgeller Level 1

I don't recall any catalog problems. It was only a reversion to the previous point release. The "About" says "2015 release, Camera Raw 9.0" The splash screen is light yellow colored pine trees in front of darker green on the side of a mountain.

What I think "sucks" is that I have no idea whether this problem is being addressed by Adobe.

• 12. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                                jeffreym

This issue has been going on using those steps you mention for some time now. I've had this issue since before 2015.5. What is actually happening is that when the import action is started LR it tries to use the total amount of physical ram the system has and stalls the machine. Check Activity Monitor to see if it's trying to use as much ram as your system has. In my case, with 32GB of ram, it tries to use 32GB of ram, even though Photoshop and the OS are using some, and it stalls the system. Eventually a warning will appear saying that LR is stuck. I just force quit and relaunch and it's fine. But it's definitely a bad bug and it's been there in my experience since before 2015.5.

• 13. Re: LR freeze on import (OS X)
                                  Bob Somrak Level 6

I just went through the steps listed and Lightroom maxed out at about 1.5GB Ram usage.  There were some severe memory leak problems in earlier versions (I never ran into them) but these were supposed to be  fixed in 2016.6.1 released a few weeks ago.  This is on OS X 10.11.6.