3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 3:25 PM by johnrellis

Setting capture time to File Modified Date

sebastianw61955453

The Edit Capture Time dialog box (Metadata > Edit Capture Time) has the following options:

• Adjust To A Specified Date And Time
      • Shift By Set Number Of Hours (Time Zone Adjust)
      • Change To File Creation Date For Each Image

Why is there no option to change the capture time to the File Modified Date?

In my case I have a number of .mp4 videos that where copied at some point and thus have a creation date that does not reflect the capture time. The last modified date does however, as the videos haven't been edited or changed in anyway. Additionally, this is verified by the filenames that contain the date and time.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about fixing this, preferably without changing the files themselves.

• 1. Re: Setting capture time to File Modified Date
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          Why is there no option to change the capture time to the File Modified Date?

It may be because the original developers had a Mac-centric view in which file creation dates were traditionally preserved by Mac applications and utiilities when a file was copied or modified.  (That was never true on Windows, and it is unfortunately no longer true on Mac.)

In my case I have a number of .mp4 videos that where copied at some point and thus have a creation date that does not reflect the capture time. The last modified date does however, as the videos haven't been edited or changed in anyway. Additionally, this is verified by the filenames that contain the date and time.

Is your goal to have the correct capture time reflected in LR?  Does LR not show the correct capture time?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting capture time to File Modified Date
            sebastianw61955453 Level 1

The videos currently have incorrect captures dates. I would like to correct this using the modified dates of the video files.

• 3. Re: Setting capture time to File Modified Date
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I've used BulkFileChanger in the past to manipulate file dates on Windows.  It has the option to copy the file modified to the file created date, but I've never used that.

Exiftool (free) can also do this, but unless you're experienced with command-line scripting, it has a steep learning curve.