15 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 6:25 PM by danielr92480043

"could not initialize disc burning engine" error

Kevindouglas1979

Program: Adobe Premiere Elements 14

Error: "Could not initialize disc burning engine"

Operating System: Windows 10

I'm trying to burn a DVD created within premiere elements to an ISO image and I receive an error message ("Could not initialize disc burning engine") or the disc burn begins, staying at 0%.  I've tried adjusting the burn settings, but still receive the same results.

I've looked into solutions for this error online, without any success. Space isn't an issue as I have nearly 500 GB of free space on the 1 TB drive.  I've also tried defragmenting the drive, but that didn't help either.

I've successfully burnt DVDs to folders with the program in the past, so I'm not sure what is causing the issue.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Kevin Douglas

• 1. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try opening the preferences and unchecking the option to use GPU acceleration.

• 2. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
            Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I don't see that option within the preferences... unless you are referring to the "Use Hardware Acceleration (Intel HD graphics 2000 and newer) for rendering, playback and export" checkbox.  If so, I have unchecked that option, but still received disc burning engine error message.

• 3. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Are there any photos in your video? If so, have you ensured that they are no larger than 2500x1875 pixels in size?

How long is your movie?

Are there gaps on your timeline in which there is no video?

Have you ensured that there is NO stop marker at the end of your movie?

• 4. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Thank you again for your reply, Steve.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.  The DVD that I'm trying to burn was created from a series of MP4 and M4V video files and not from a camcorder.  The resolution for these files is 708x480 px.

There are no photos within the video itself; however, there is an image file within the DVD menu.

The overall length of the movie is just over 2 hours and 18 minutes.

There are no blank gaps in the timeline.

There is not a stop marker at the end of the movie.

• 5. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

That's some pretty non-standard video, Kevin. And it's longer than one would normally make a DVD. (DVDs hold about 70 minutes of full quality video.) I'm not sure I'm going to be able to help you troubleshoot this.

And I know you're going to tell me that you've been able to create DVDs using this video and at this length before.

One possible option is to see if you can output your movie as a 720x480 mp4. If you can, there's a workaround that may work.

But with this mix of non-camcorder video and this length, I can't make any guarantees with your current project as is.

• 6. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                    Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks again for your reply.  I'm not sure what you mean about the video being "non-standard".  Is there something wrong with the resolution?  In regard to the DVD's length, I can cut it down to below 70 minutes, if necessary. 

On a related note, I have another DVD movie project that is facing the same error.  It is made of MP4 files, with a resolution of 1280 x 720, and a length of 1 hour and 39 minutes.  Even though it's still longer than usual, is this closer to the standard?

Going back to the first DVD project, I was successful in outputting the entire movie as a 720 x 480 MP4 file as you suggested.  What can I do next to try to burn the DVD? 

• 7. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

re the movie that you output as 720x480:

1) Do a Save As and save a copy of your project file.

2) Delete all of your media from the project. Add your 720x480 to this project and to your timeline. You shouldn't have to do anything with the menu markers and movie menu.

3) Output a DVD or, better, a DVD to ISO file.

Did it work? If so, that means that your original, non-standard (non-camcorder) media was choking the program and you can use this workaround in the future.

If it did not work, try cutting the project in half so that its running time is more like under an hour rather than 90 minutes long and try again. If this works, it indicates that the project length was the problem.

If you're still stuck, we can help you with more detailed troubleshooting on my free Community Forum at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

• 8. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                        Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Steve,

Thank you for your reply.  I followed your suggestions, replacing all the media with the single video file, and tried outputting the DVD to pay ISO file.  Unfortunately, I still received the same error message.

I also tried cutting the project down to 22 minutes and eliminated all of the menu markers and problem still persists.

Could I have a defective version of the program?  I'm wondering if uninstalling and then reinstalling the program will make a difference.  What are your thoughts?

If not, I think I'll need to take you up on your offer and take the issue to your Community Forum at Muvipix.com.  Thanks for your help here.  Hopefully we'll be able to diagnose and fix the problem at your site.

• 9. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

The program is digital, so all copies of the program are identical. But all operating systems vary a bit.

I'm not sure what is bugging up your file, Kevin. If you are using exclusively an MPEG output from the program as your only media on your timeline, it should go smooth as gravy.

There are only two other things to try:

1) Go to the program's Preferences (under Edit menu on a PC) and, on the General page, UNCHECK the option to use hardware acceleration.

If that doesn't do it:

2) Try removing your DVD movie menu or replacing it with another menu as a test. Sometimes a corrupt font or image creeps in that messes up a DVD burn.

• 10. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                            Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Thank you again, Steve.

The hardware acceleration option was already turned off, but I followed your second suggestion of removing and replacing the DVD menu.  Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the error message, even after trying more than one alternative menu. 

Lately, the program has also been freezing up when I try canceling the DVD burn, which just sits there at 0%.  This is why I questioned whether the program's installation could've been corrupted.

Do you have any other suggestions?

• 11. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

Sorry no. I really don't know what to suggest.

• 12. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                                Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Shoot!  Well thank you for your help.  I appreciate you looking into the issue for me!

I did find a solution… Although it wasn't exactly a solution I wanted.  I reinstalled my older version of the program (i.e., v 8) and was able to burn a copy of the project to a disk.  Unfortunately, since the newer version of the file was not compatible with the older program, I had to re-create it from scratch.  This wasn't the most ideal option, but at least it worked.  I wonder why I was able to burn the project with the older version of the program but not the most recent?

• 13. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error

Can't even speculate.

But you needn't have started your project from scratch in version 8. You could have output your finished video from version 14 by using Export & Share/Device/Computer 720x480 AVI and it would have loaded right into version 8 and you could have burned your disc from there.

• 14. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                                    Kevindouglas1979 Level 1

Thank you again for your reply.  Fortunately, it didn't take long to re-create the project.  I could have exported a single video and used it for the project, but then I would still have to re-create all the scene markers.

When looking into your suggestion, I noticed that the "Could not initialize disc burning engine" error message was no longer present.  On a lark, I tried burning an image copy of the disc and it worked without any complications.  I'm grateful that it's now working, it's but what the heck happened?  I imagine that the reinstallation of Premiere Elements 8 have fixed the problem, but I'm not sure how.  Shortly after installing Premiere Elements 14, I uninstalled version 8.  Could that uninstallation have affected version 14's ability to recognize the disk drives?

• 15. Re: "could not initialize disc burning engine" error
                                      danielr92480043

Mira la solución que encontré al problema ("Could not initialize disc burning engine")... fue dejar la compatibilidad en Windows XP SP3...yo tengo instalado el Windows 7, y me arrojaba ese error, luego de varias pruebas y leer e instalar una y otra vez, fui al icono que queda en el escritorio, le di clic en PROPIEDADES, COMPATIBILIDAD, y lo cambie a Windows XP SP3...esa fue mi solución y ahora quema tanto en carpeta como directo a un DVD,

saludos a todos desde Chile.

Daniel RoaCaptura.PNG