28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 6:16 PM by Susan Loncar Design

Indesign CC not responding on every action

leannechow

Hi all

I need some urgent assistance from you guys who may know a fix or what is causing this.

Since I upgraded from CS6 to CC, Indesign has been nothing but trouble. Practically 3 out of 5 Indesign files I work on suffers from the app "not responding" or just crashes. The "not responding" is much more common.

It always happens when I remove a text frame, insert a page break, adjust text frame between 1 or 2 columns etc. Anything to do with 'text flow' it will give me the spinning death wheel and then the app "not responding" in Finders. I have to force quit it.

It has no trouble recovering my files. But the point it, I am not making progress at all. It's been three days straight, working on the same problem. I am going a little insane here.

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Because Indesign didn't crash, I was never given a crash report. I just don't know what to do anymore. My growing frustration is pushing me towards smashing this 5K Retina into pieces even though I know it's not the computer's fault, but I honestly, honestly, honestly cannot think of a solution. I have tried for three days, repeatedly changing one column to two column, then "not responding" happened. So I tried, changing another text, "not responding"... I think you guys get the idea. For 7 hours a day, 3 hours, I have made zero progress.

Any help, advice, assistance will be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Leanne

• 1. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
          Derek Cross Level 6

Try resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow!)

You'll probably have to have a couple of goes before you get the hang of it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
            leannechow Level 1

Thanks Derek. I will give that a try.

• 3. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
              Derek Cross Level 6

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

• 4. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try exporting legacy files to IDML. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                  leannechow Level 1

I have done the preference reset. So far it's working. Just curious why does CC Indesign needs preference reset so often? Also, I noticed a lot of preferences get reset after a crash anyway.

I always turn off Smart Reflow and it seems it was reset to default. It may be the reason why.

I will try exporting legacy files if it has the same issue again. Will report back. Going to give this a few more days.

Thanks all.

Leanne

• 6. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

If you need a frequent reset you have other conflicting software corrupting the prefs.

• 7. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                      leannechow Level 1

Hi all.

OK, the same issue is happening again. I make one change, then the wheel of death comes up, and then InDesign became 'not responding'. It has happened four times with the same file.

I thought it was because the file was on an external hard drive. So I moved it to Desktop and worked on it. Then it happened.

So I thought it's the file and exported the file to IDML to remove any corruption as Peter suggested.

Tried it again, and again InDesign went unresponsive.

Re: conflicting software, I'm not sure what. I have CC installed and Font Suitcase (the latest version).

I run CC 2015 on El Capitan, iMac 5k Retina, spec'ed up.

Time Machine is on for every hour. It shouldn't crash the InDesign should it?

Another suspect is the GREP I have set for the body text. I used GREP to remove widows and keep hyphenated words together with 'no break' character style. I also have used the Keep Options to remove orphans.

Right now, the task I'm doing that sending InDesign into endless cycle of unconsciousness is using Find/Replace with a GREP command to change all ' - ' with '—' etc. I find it one at a time but it would make one change, and then crashes the next.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm honestly really over this. I can't think of anything else and it has taken me one week to work through 56pp publication. It's ridiculous and it's costing me a lot of time.

Any other suggestion?

/// A while later ///

I reset preference again and InDesign CC did it again after just making one change. This time, it provided a crash report. I have placed it on my Google Drive (coz too large to do pasteit) and here is the report. Can someone please help me find what is wrong?

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

Hang reports are difficult to interpret, but hangs can be converted to crashes, which might be easier to read. See Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding

Grep Styles can definitely be a drag on performance. How many do you have in your paragraph style? One or two should be fine, but 10 could be an issue.

Have you tried exporting the text to InDesign Tagged Text and placing that into a new file? IDML is not always successful at removing corruption.

• 9. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                          leannechow Level 1

No, I haven't tried export text into tagged text. Will this need reflowing the text?

The problem started when I was towards the end, where there are large tables.

I will try the method to convert to crashes. Once I do, I will post the report.

Thanks Peter.

Leanne

• 10. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

There may be some reflow -- you won't know until you do it -- but that won't necessarily be because of the tagged text. The point of this is to get your text into a new file that does not crash in as painless a way as possible.

• 11. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                              leannechow Level 1

Hi all.

CC Indesign hung just then on another document, much smaller document (only 3 pages).

I followed the instruction to convert a hang into crash.

The crash report is here Abort report - Pastebin.com

and the Sample Process report is Sample Process - Pastebin.com 

I have a sneaky feeling this time may be caused by Suitcase Fusion 7 which is a new software I upgraded recently.

• 12. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

I can't give you a definitive answer from the crash report, but I would try removing the Suitcase Plugin from InDesign and see if the problem persists.

• 13. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                  leannechow Level 1

Hi Peter. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had trouble updating Suitcase last week, and finally uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.

Indesign was working fine on the problematic file for a while after I reinstalled Suitcase.

Then I went to open another file, it hung.

So I converted the hang into a crash again. Here are the reports.

Crash report - Second report - Pastebin.com

The sample report was too large to put on pastebin. If you need it I will post it on Google Drive.

I think I will have to revert the Suitcase version. This problem started when I upgraded from Suitcase Fusion 6 to 7.

• 14. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                    leannechow Level 1

Again it crashed.

This time I have disabled the Suitcase InDesign plugin, and I tried inserting one page at the start (urgh, clients!) and InDesign went into hang mode and I had to convert it into a crash.

Crash report - Third Crash Report - Pastebin.com 

I'm really dreading to layout the whole document again because they have moved the deadline forward and it's due this Friday. I'm so late with everything because of it. I'm really running out of time and ideas.

I might have to seriously consider outputting tagged InDesign file and reset the doc.

I will try downgrading to Suitcase Fusion 6 and see if it works. I will report back.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hope I can resolve this soon.

• 15. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                      leannechow Level 1

Hi all,

I exported an IDML file from CC and took it home to try it. At home I have Yosemite, Suitcase Fusion 4 and CS6. And the file still caused the CS6 to hang. I have the crash report here - Crash report from CS6 - Pastebin.com Once again the Sample Process Report is too large to post online.

I think I can sort of conclude it is the file corrupted somehow. I'm unsure how as I created from scratch. I really hope I can figure out what is causing this crashing because if I don't know what is corrupting the file. The file has heaps of large text boxes. I'm unsure if it is what's causing it. But that would be absurd.

It doesn't look like I can avoid not relaying the text out. It's really frustrating.

Lastly, the action I'm trying to do is inserting a page at the beginning of the document and it went immediately into unresponsive.

BUT, if I add a new page at the end of the document, it is fine.

I really think it's some of those large text boxes. I will have to play around with it. Not ideal but it really bugs me.

If anyone could still take a look at the crash reports and let me know what is causing it, I can try to avoid it in the future.

Thanks all once again. Appreciate the help.

• 16. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

I looked at the reports, but I still can't point a finger at anything specific.

• 17. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                          leannechow Level 1

That's ok Peter. Thanks for trying.

It's really unfortunate that the reports didn't tell us anything.

I found a workaround and it worked.

I basically copied the entire text out of the original INDD file into a new blank INDD file.

Inserted a new page into the original INDD file. (This way all the text frames are still linked and in its correct sizes/settings.)

Copied the text from the new INDD file back into the original INDD file.

It worked.

Also, this way would also work with importing the Indesign tagged text I exported instead of copied from the new INDD file.

It seems like the threaded text frames could be the reason. I came to this conclusion when I tested the scenarios below:

1. When I inserted a new page between two threaded text frames, InDesign went into not responding.
                                          2. When I inserted a page break instead of a new page, it was fine but then I had to reflow the rest of the document which I'm trying to avoid. (This is because my client needed a new page at the very beginning instead of the end which is annoying. I'm not going to go through the entire document and reflow all the pages.)
                                          3. It also worked fine if I inserted a new page right at the end, no threaded text frames in between.

Anyone has issue with threaded text frames acting up like this?

By the way, when I imported the InDesign tagged text, there were two errors:

<Line No>:- 14 <Error>:- Ignoring invalid attribute "pShadingColor" found in the style definition.

<Line No>:- 14 <Error>:- Encountered errors while importing the paragraph style "Text". This paragraph style has been set to [no paragraph style].

Any idea how to find where these two errors are in the document?

• 18. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                            leannechow Level 1

It turns out, there is absolutely nothing fixes it.

I decided to lay out the document again to be safe because this working file is just not workable anymore. It hangs with every command.

So exported InDesign tagged text and RTF and placed in a new INDD file. Guess what? Why just creating new text frames, it hangs again. I haven't even started applying styles.

This is crazy. I am really close to chuck in the towel and cut my losses but I can't because I have people waiting to publish this document tomorrow.

Adobe, this is a good time to step in now. I have absolutely run out of ideas what to try.

• 19. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

Did you remove the suitcase plugin (and any other third-party plugins) and restart ID? This is definitely not normal, and looks an awful lot like a conflict.

• 20. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                leannechow Level 1

What did you mean by remove?

I disabled suitcase auto activation plugin and i checked ID, there is no auto activation plugin at all and the plugin wasn't loaded at the startUp.

I also disabled two of the fonts which I thought were problematic, replaced them all. They worked for a while and then as soon as I tried flowing the text in the new INDD file, it went frozen again.

I dunno what's the conflict.

So uninstall ID and reinstalled ID again. Disabled font auto activation plugin. Started working on the new INDD file again. Got the same frozen result. Nothing worked.

I completely chucked it. I couldn't deal with it anymore.

• 21. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

I mean completely remove any third party plugins from InDesign, not just deactivate. Also remove any third-party browser plugins from Chrome.

• 22. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                    sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

• 23. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                      MC48103

Hello, I need to know how this resolved, as I am having similar problems. Also, leannechow, how do you finish the project if InDesign just is not working? I also have a deadline and have a 120 page book that continually crashes: error logs, program aborts, keyboard shortcuts stop working, or seem to swap functions, InDesign tries to add more than ten pages to a single 2-page spread when I add a single return on one page in the threaded text..... "InDesign does not allow more than ten pages per spread."

• 24. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                        MC48103 Level 1

Another question: I have been using the book and chapters functions of InDesign for this project, as it seemed to make sense. However, with the continual crashes and my attempts to resave files regularly to try to capture a working set of files, file management has become a nightmare. Am I making a mistake trying to use the Book function, and would you advise creating one huge file for this 120-page book? Not sure if the Book/Chapters is contributing to the problems, and I will happily do anything to get a working file or files.

• 25. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

It sounds like you have a lot of different things going wrong at once. The very first thing I would do is export each of the files to IDML, open the IDML and save with a new file name, then add those new files to a new .indb Book file.

Your spread issue may be caused by a combination of page shuffling being disabled and the use of smart text reflow (along with the possibility that you are using the Enter key on the number pad instead of the main keyboard, but that's not clear from the description).

120 pages is a lot to scroll thorugh, but not impossible. One file is easier to control, but if something goes wrong you would lose everything, not just one chapter. You need to weigh the pros and cons.

2 people found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                            MC48103 Level 1

I think I will go with a single file at this point, as multiple files for chapters is relatively new for me, and I need to get back to my comfort zone. Have worked with InDesign since it was Aldus PageMaker, so have always felt like a power user until this point.

Regarding spread issue, the settings I have now are:

Preferences:

Smart text reflow - ON

Add pages to - End of story

Limit to primary text frames - ON

(Preserve facing page spreads and delete empty pages are turned off)

In the pages panel, I have tried several different settings, but currently, in the new file I have created to receive the text export from the bad file:

Allow document pages to shuffle - ON

Allow selected spread to shuffle - ON

Would these be the settings you would use for a 120 page document? Also, would you suggest that I import the text files as separate threads, or combine them into one thread?

Thanks for your help.

• 27. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action

Your shuffling settings are correct. I personally never use Smart Text Reflow, but that's a personal choice. I would keep each chapter as a separate story for text flow rather than using one long thread, but again that's mostly a personal choice.

• 28. Re: Indesign CC not responding on every action
                                                                Susan Loncar Design Level 1

This is the story of my life these days. Abode ID hangs even when I type text. Type three words ... spinning circle of rainbow death. repeat and repeat and repeat. Going nutty.