6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 11:42 AM by Bill Gehrke

Problem in Editing 4K footage...

RevanthLevaka

Hi everyone, I edit 1k footage of sony FS7 regularly and I don't get any errors or hang-ups while editing or rendering,now I want to try edit 4K footage.Here are my configurations

AMD Fx 8350,16GB DDR3,HDD Seagate Barrcuda 7200,ASRock 970 extreme4,GTX 970 4GB DDR5

all my edits are done through external hard disks,so please help me with the configurations are settings to be done on my PC

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the amd fx-8350 will hold back your system with 4k media, especially if its highly compressed avc/h264 media. you can try transcoding and/or using the new built in proxy system. dnxhr or cineform will be some codecs to try.

if you don't want to transcode/proxy, you may want to upgrade to a new 6 or 8 core intel cpu, the i7-6800k or i7-6900k. even the intel 6 core should be much faster than your current cpu with adobe's software. you could also wait for amd's new zen cpu's to be released, to see how their 8 core performs.

you may want some ssd's for storage, and use the 7200rpm hdd's for backups. a 250gb ssd for os/apps is usually enough, and another ssd for your media. it will depend on your media and project to determine the media drive speed. if you are working with avc/h264 media, a single sata ssd like the samsung 850 should be fast enough. if you are using external hdd drives and they aren't fast enough, a samsung t1/t3 or samsung 850 in an external usb case should be enough for avc/h264.

the gtx 970 will be good enough for basic 4k editing, if you want to carry that over into a new system.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
            RevanthLevaka Level 1

Thank you so much for the reply.

• 3. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RoninEdits wrote:

if you are using external hdd drives and they aren't fast enough, a samsung t1/t3 or samsung 850 in an external usb case should be enough for avc/h264.

Scratch that as my quick check said you only have USB 2 with that CPU.  I hope you are not using any USB 2 ports for those external drives.  You could consider an add-in card to give you USB 3 speeds.

• 4. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

looking at that motherboard, it has 2 usb 3.0 ports on the rear i/o, and 2 more from a front usb header. so there should be no need for an add-in card, unless the OP needs more usb 3 ports.

• 5. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
                  RevanthLevaka Level 1

your right there are 2 USB 3.0 in the rear and one in the front

• 6. Re: Problem in Editing 4K footage...
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then you can use the Samsung T1 or T3 for fast external storage that then is even portable.