5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 10:28 AM by Szalam

Flash or After Effects

Alex_Cissokho Level 1

I've been asked to create an animated infographic presentation (no interactivity) which will eventually sit on the web (client's intranet). I have used Flash in the past and wondered if it's ok to carry on using this. I realise I may need to convert the final movie file from an swf file to a mpeg4 (for youtube) and presume there are converters out there that make this possible. Alternatively we will upload it to Vimeo. I don't currently have After Effects so would need to upgrade my system and then buy a license to use AE, so ideally I would like to stick with creating the animation in Flash but wondered if anyone can offer any advice on any potential problems with using Flash in this way. I know it's usually used for more interactive presentations but as far as I remember it was perfectly possible to just animate in Flash without using the interactivity. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex

• 1. Re: Flash or After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are comfortable using Flash (now called Adobe Animate CC, by the way), I would suggest sticking with it. There is a steep learning curve to After Effects, so if you need to get something out with any kind of deadline, just use what you know.

For what you're talking about, it would be wise to start learning After Effects. I'd recommend going through these resources to get a solid foundation. Remember, you can poke around with the free trial for a few days.

• 2. Re: Flash or After Effects
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

While everything above is completely correct, I'll just add that Flash is now considered unfavourable by Apple, Google and Facebook - the biggest tech names on Earth.

Flash is a technology that is very unlikely to survive mainstream browsers more than another year or so. If you're working on content that has a projected lifespan beyond that, look carefully at Adobe's more up to date web creation tools, or at After Effects for motion graphics design.

• 3. Re: Flash or After Effects

Which is why it's now called Animate CC. It can create a lot more than just Flash. For example, you can create HTML5 animations in it, SVG, etc.

• 4. Re: Flash or After Effects
                Alex_Cissokho Level 1

Thanks Szalam for your response. I know Flash is unpopular and on it's way out but yes I do have a fairly urgent deadline and probably won't have time to learn After Effects AND create the infographic in time. Also the issue of needing to update to Adobe CC is going to involve quite a bit of updating my Mac beforehand!

Sounds like there's no problem though with creating in Flash and will then convert the swf into an mp4 file rather than supply them with a swf file. Don't know if there are any issues with the converting process I need to be aware of?

• 5. Re: Flash or After Effects

Alex_Cissokho wrote:

Sounds like there's no problem though with creating in Flash and will then convert the swf into an mp4 file rather than supply them with a swf file. Don't know if there are any issues with the converting process I need to be aware of?

That would be a better question for the Flash forum. Wait, excuse me, the Animate forum.