4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2016 4:22 AM by johnd58352336

Importing Illustrator files to animate/flash cc

johnd58352336

I am embarking upon creating a tablet app using Animate/Flash cc. I will be creating graphics in Illustrator.

Could any wise members give me some info on:

What size I should create my graphics. Should I just create to the rectangular ratio of tablets.

Illustrator creates vectors so will my imported graphics resize (roughly) automatically across different screen sizes?

Animate/Flash asks for screen dimensions in pixels,inches etc - when a new project is opened. I am unsure what the best dimensions are to start working - layout screens, add interactive elements etc.

Thanks in advance

John

PEACE

• 1. Re: Importing Illustrator files to animate/flash cc
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the only easy answer is, use pixels for everything that will be displayed on an electronic screen.

because vector graphics resize with perfect fidelity, the only thing about the size that matters is the aspect ratio.  in flash/animate you have several options on how you stage can be resized.  from the help files:

EXACT_FIT : String = "exactFit"

[static] Specifies that the entire application be visible in the specified area without trying to preserve the original aspect ratio.

NO_BORDER : String = "noBorder"

[static] Specifies that the entire application fill the specified area, without distortion but possibly with some cropping, while maintaining the original aspect ratio of the application.

NO_SCALE : String = "noScale"

[static] Specifies that the size of the application be fixed, so that it remains unchanged even as the size of the player window changes.

SHOW_ALL : String = "showAll"

[static] Specifies that the entire application be visible in the specified area without distortion while maintaining the original aspect ratio of the application.

• 2. Re: Importing Illustrator files to animate/flash cc
            johnd58352336 Level 1

Thanks for a most helpful reply kglad. Exactly what I needed to know and more.

thanks again.

• 3. Re: Importing Illustrator files to animate/flash cc
              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

On the topic of device screen ratios, there are several approaches you can take. Here are some examples:

1. You lay out your interface using code, to set the position and size of elements. In that case the noScale option would make sense.

2. The important part of your interface is in the center area of the layout, and you don't mind if iPad crops some of the sides, and iPhone crops some of the top and bottom (in a landscape example). Then using noBorder would make sense. For a range of devices going from 4:3 to 16:9, you would want to have a 14:9 ratio stage.

3. You need the user to see everything that is in your fixed ratio layout. You would then use showAll, with a stage size that is either 4:3 or 16:9. If it's 4:3 you would have extra content off the left and right sides of the stage, that will be revealed on wider devices. If you use 16:9, you would have extra content off the top and bottom of the stage, that gets revealed on narrower devices.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Importing Illustrator files to animate/flash cc
                johnd58352336 Level 1

Thanks Colin, your help is very much appreciated.