4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 9:20 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Pdf to Text

thais781

Hi all,

I am using the X version of Acrobat with pleasure.

When I open a pdf document , I can save it as txt format in using "File / save as / other options / Text" and it is ok.

Is there a way to do the same thing without openning the document (script shell, applescript, javascript ......) ?

I tried the script "pdftotxt", but it do not respect the column selection in the page ....

Thanks by advance

Thais

• 1. Re: Pdf to Text
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are various ways of doing it, but since none of them involve Acrobat this is not really the place to discuss them.

• 2. Re: Pdf to Text
            Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what environment you are using, but you are mentioning AppleScript, so I assume you are on a Mac and we can forget about VB on a Windows machine.

Adobe Acrobat allows you to remote control it via the IAC (Interapplication Communication) API. This allows you to run certain functions from outside of the application. Take a look at the "save" method here:

Acrobat DC SDK Documentation - save

You can then write an AppleScript to save the currently open document to a filename as text using this script:

tell application "Adobe Acrobat"
              activate
              save document 1 to file "Macintosh HD:Users:username:directory:conversion.txt" using conversion "com.adobe.acrobat.plain-text"
            eend tell

You can also run any JavaScript using AppleScript via the "do script" event: Acrobat DC SDK Documentation - do script

• 3. Re: Pdf to Text
              thais781 Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

I am effectively using Mac Os environment

I already use the save command of Applescript but for it, we need to open the document with Acrobat

For this operation, I do not need (and I don't want) to open it.

I am just trying to know if Adobe allow this operation without opening the document ... perhaps I have to take a look to the Acrobat SDK ....

Thais

• 4. Re: Pdf to Text
                Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

You cannot develop for or with Adobe Acrobat without using the SDK.

The Acrobat SDK is not a tool to create a solution without running Acrobat. Anything you do with the SDK relies on Adobe Acrobat and therefore a document will be opened in Acrobat. At least on the Windows side, there are ways to open a document in the background so that it does not get displayed in Acrobat, but you cannot use the SDK without actually having Acrobat open.

If you are thinking of creating a server or server-like solution (without anybody sitting in front of the computer), then you are not using the right tool: Acrobat is not licensed, nor technically feasible for such a solution.