10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2016 11:38 AM by Bill Carson Minneapolis

Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

Bill Carson Minneapolis

I need to hit the spacebar •6• times to stop previews. I've been researching online for a week now, and trying all the suggestions, and none have worked for me. Often the suggestions refer to preview options that do not exist for me. Hitting the esc key does stop previews but the CTI flies off to some random area, not where I want it to. I'm using AE 13.7.2.3 and a Mac/Yosemite.

I simply want to cache my work area, hit the spacebar to start playing the cache, whether or not the entire work area has been cached, and I want it to stop when and where I hit it.

Related: I like to mark certain musical points in the timeline by highlighting the music track, hitting the period key, and then hitting asterisk key at certain points. This now causes the music playback to stumble, and none of the marks are where they're supposed to be.

• 1. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you drag the bottom of your preview panel down and show us a screenshot of your settings?

• 3. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I mean, I usually don't use spacebar to do the cache before playback option - I usually reserve that for one of the other keyboard shortcut options - but that shouldn't matter. Are you working on a keyboard with a number pad or are you on a notebook of some kind?

The issue you're describing of having to hit the key a bunch of times was pretty common in older versions of AE CC 2015, so it's weird that you're experiencing it in 13.7.2

As to your audio playback issues, hold on a bit. The new version of AE that's coming out "soon" is supposed to have a much more stable preview engine in it that will likely solve this problem. (The new version of AE has come out towards the end of June for the past three years, so, if this year is the same, you'll only have a week or two of this frustration before the new version comes.)

• 4. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill Carson Minneapolis wrote:

Related: I like to mark certain musical points in the timeline by highlighting the music track, hitting the period key, and then hitting asterisk key at certain points. This now causes the music playback to stumble, and none of the marks are where they're supposed to be.

A much better way to get your markers accurately positioned is to work in Audition. You can use the M key to place markers while the audio is playing back, you can then accurately drag them to the exact point where you want them, name them, and get all of the timing worked out. If you are editing to music you can even find the beats and put markers exactly where they should be.

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 4.45.04 AM.png

When you save the file make sure that include markers is checked

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 4.34.52 AM.png

Then when you add the audio in AE you get this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 4.47.03 AM.png

This is by far the best and fastest way to prepare an audio track for editing. For example, most of my AE comps are just single shots that average somewhere between 5 and 7 seconds. For a lot of these shots Audio is included. Markers help me quickly position the audio tracks accurately in the comps so that I can line things up. I also use audition to create modified audio tracks that may be cleaned up or equalized to help with the editing and compositing process. These guide audio tracks are replaced in the final production with the final mix. It sounds like extra work but it's really the fastest and most efficient way to get things done and will save you a bunch of time in the long run.

BTW, Those markers show up in Premiere Pro also... but you have to hover over them to reveal the name of the marker:

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 5.01.59 AM.png

• 5. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3
                Bill Carson Minneapolis Level 1

In AE CS6, I set the area I wanted to preview using the B & N keys, then I used shift-0 to begin caching the work area for RAM preview. I liked that the cursor would start to blink, letting me know the process was underway. At times, before the cache was complete, I'd hit the spacebar to start playback, and I used the spacebar to stop playback.

As one of first Media 100 editors, I quickly learned to let everybody else update before me. That way, when I updated, all the wrinkles had been ironed out by others while I worked.

I'm still using a Early 2008 tower that I've kept upgraded over the years. Until the time I dived into the CC programs, I really haven't had any software issues that stopped me from working on client projects. Yesterday morning, without fail, I had to hit the spacebar exactly 6 times to stop playback. No more, no less. I took a lunch break, came back...one tap of the spacebar would cause the playback to hiccup a bit and then stop. This morning, the spacebar is functioning exactly as it has for the past few years. I'm kind of at a loss about what to think. I just want to work, creatively and quickly, with no software issues.

By the way, I'm really happy with Premiere. The migration from FCP was flawless. I was excited about back and forth between Premiere and AE, but at the moment, I just don'r have Ae working the way I expected it to. It occurs to me that there's the possibility that the reason the spacebar complaints have stopped is because people just gave up.

I can hang on for a few weeks, although now I'm reluctant to update.  :-)  Thanks!

• 6. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

I really do appreciate the feedback... I was content to do things the way I was. I could place the markers, then go back, reveal waveforms, enlarge the timeline, adjust as needed by dragging the cursor while holding the command key, and name keyframes as well... all in AE. I was content to stay in After Effects and insert markers the way I have been. At the moment, I'm taking the audio over to Premiere to do it, but that's now an extra step. More steps makes my work harder and slower and work harder and slower wasn't my goal when I signed up for the CC Club.

:-)

Having said that, thank you for taking the time to prepare the remarkably detailed feedback. I'll give it a go.

• 7. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

I've getting paid for making films for more than 40 years. Trust me - Trying to do everything, even something as simple as setting markers on complicated pieces all inside AE is not very often the most efficient way to go. Using the right tools for every job is critical to speed and efficiency, and most importantly quality of work.

By the time you open up a wav file in AE, zoom in to the timeline and reveal the wave form, preview what you can see in the timeline and set markers, then fine tune the markers on 20 seconds of audio you could have opened up Audition and done the same on two or three times as much audio. My suggestion, on all but the simplest clips, will save you time.

Your screenshot gives no indication on the length of the comp you are working on but when folks say editing and After Effects in the same sentence it makes me worry. In almost every case each AE comp should be a shot or a sequence no longer than a single sentence. Sure, folks have cut five minute movies in AE - but editing is painful, changes are insanely difficult and, more importantly, it takes longer than it should by a bunch.

If I were doing a cartoon style project (and I've done quite a few) I would storyboard with sketches or stills first using the script as a guideline, then I would record scratch audio and animate the storyboards. I actually do a lot of that for all kinds of projects using a script from my friend Stu Maschwitz called Provost Boardo.

After that I would start in on finalizing character design and run a few simple tests to make sure my characters can be properly rigged. Each character would be a separate AE comp.

Then I would start building scenes, if possible with a final audio track one shot at a time, each in their own separate comp. with very limited effects and other polish. While working on each shot a test render would be running in the background using the AME. When all the shots were rendered I'd take the test renders into Premiere Pro and see how they worked when they were cut together. Additional audio would be added, and in some cases a final production mix would be made in Audition. Then the final cleanup and effects would be done for each shot in AE, the footage in Premiere Pro would be replaced with the final shots from AE, the color grade would be done in Speed Grade or DaVinci and the final production master would be rendered. From the production master I would render my distribution copies. This is how animation as been done since it began. Storyboard, scratch audio, pencil test, ink and paint, editing, master print, release print. It is the way all major studios work on ALL of their projects, not because they have big budgets, but because that's the only way to get control of the budget and deliver on time.

I urge you to try getting familiar with the right tools for the job and promise you that in the long run you'll turn out higher quality work in less time.

• 8. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

Thanks... you'll note I was a Media 100 editor and am currently quite happy with Premiere CC. It was a coincidence that the screen shot you saw was an animation... That entire project (00:19) was done by a storyboard artist and then an animator, and there wasn't any music. My job was to insert fart sounds and fine-tune the VO, and it was a nicely sophomoric and profitable job. It's another project I'm working on that uses the music to drive the edits... something that I want to happen in front of my eyes as I work.

I've loved After Effects, since 1998, as a companion to my editing, not as an editing application. I simply want to use the period key to audition a song and the asterisk key to drop markers in time. It used to work for me; it no longer does.

• 9. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

For something that simple try creating a new comp that's 100 x 100 pixels and drop your audio track in there to set the markers. You can set resolution to half or skip two or three frames.  As long as AE is up-to-date I can get this to work on a 2010 Mac Mini just fine.

if your job was to manipulate audio I would've rendered quick little movie and opened that in Addition and edited the audio in there.  That would be way faster and much more profitable.

• 10. Re: Spacebar still doesn't stop previews AE 13.7.2.3

I appreciate the effort and gave your idea a try, but every time I hit the asterisk key, the audio paused for a split second, which didn't happen with AE CS6.

I do not edit audio in AE and I don't want to, I just want to make a mark here and there without AE hiccuping... like in those olden days of yore...

Again, thanks for your ideas.