8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 3:23 AM by Ann Bens

Create Large mp4 is unreadable?

weslowsk

Hi,

I used Adobe Premiere Elements 12 to render a video file that was over 2 hours in length and the resultant file size was about 4.6GB and it was generated as an mp4.

When I tried to open it, every video software I try says that the file is unreadable. I think the size of the mp4 file has something to do with it. The drive (file system) where the mp4 is saved is NTFS, so 4GB file size is not a limitation on that file system.

As a test, I cropped my project down to about 15 seconds of video and rendered that as the same type of mp4...no problem reading that mp4 file by any video software.

So, it seems like "large" mp4 files generated by Adobe Premiere Elements 12 are unreadable. Is this the case? Is it documented anywhere?

Is my only option to render multiple mp4 files that are each less than 4GB (or whatever the limit is)?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The size of the file shouldn't be an issue -- assuming your computer doesn't have a marginal or slower processor.

But try using the free download VLC Media Player to play the file. Default media players, like Windows Media Player, often leave a lot to be desired.

• 2. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
            weslowsk Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried both vlc and wmp. Neither will open the mp4.

I have a medium-high end i7 cpu.

Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?

What's the resolution of this file? Is it a plain old 1920x1080 high-def mp4?

Maybe it's size does make a difference. I've never experienced a limitation before -- but then again I've never tried to create a 2 hour mp4 before. Though IMHO, a 2 hour video isn't that excessive. Unless it is.

• 4. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
                weslowsk Level 1

Yeah, it's a 1080p one...nothing fancy. I used one of the publishing presets for Apple TV, iPad, etc. that are available in PE 12.

I wouldn't have thought around 2 hours is excessive either, but I'm really suspicious of a ~4GB limit.

I can just split it into 2 mp4s that are each less than 4GB and confirm that works for me.

I'll update the post when I try that...

• 5. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
                  weslowsk Level 1

Confirmed. I created 2 files that are about 2GB each and I can open those files fine. I didn't do anything special...I just hacked the project to roughly half (1 hour instead of full 2 hours), published to mp4, then undid my changes and then hacked to the other half and then published to mp4...to achieve two 2GB mp4s.

It's a pain, but it works. Hope it helps somebody else...I hope that Adobe also fixes this too!

• 6. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?

I'm not sure it's an Adobe issue, weslowsk. Unless you have other 4 gig, 2-hour MP4s that have been able to play on your computer.

• 7. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
                      weslowsk Level 1

Good point. But it is an Adobe issue if PE 12 lets me publish an mp4 without giving me a warning or letting me know that the file I'm about to generate won't be readable. After I generated the original 4GB+ mp4, I felt like saying, "Thanks, Adobe, it would have been nice to know that I couldn't open this mp4 BEFORE I published it."

Why would a piece of software let me generate a file that is unusable? It's subtle, but Adobe has to share some of the responsibility.

• 8. Re: Create Large mp4 is unreadable?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

[quote]but Adobe has to share some of the responsibility.[quote]

No this is not an Adobe issue.

Adobe or any video software does not need to tell you: Hé your file is over 4 gig it might not play on your computer or exceeds the 4 gig limit (when it the latter it wont even export).

Many factors can play a roll in the playback of the file: resolution, bitrate, length, pc specs, player.