13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 3:25 AM by Roland Rick

Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?

Roland Rick Level 1

On the Mac.

I moved - of course by the Lr Library Tab on the left side - a folder, containing subfolders, to a new folder I created in my Pictures folder.

After moving, the subfolders of the moved folder did not show up and all references to Collections are completely weird, they show pictures I never ever put into a collection...

Please see also the pictures below and comments there.

Really appreciate any help.

Cheers, Roland

The 2016 folder now in LR folder was first directly in Pictures. I created the LR folder and moved the 2016 from Pictures into LR.

Folders_and_references_blown_up.jpg

Lr did the moving, the folders and pictures in it are all there. But why the references are lost??? This is a heck of work lost if this is not reconstructable...

Folder_blown_up_OS_level.jpg

• 1. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
          dj_paige Level 9

The folders as shown in your operating system does not show a LR\2016\2016-06-14 folder. So of course, Lightroom cannot find it, and it cannot find the photos inside either.

You have to find this folder/photos in your operating system. Then you can move it to the desired location (LR\2016\2016-06-04) in your operating system to fix the problem. Alternatively, you can right-click on the folder in Lightroom with the question mark and select Find Missing Folder and direct Lightroom to the actual location of the folder.

• 2. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
            Roland Rick Level 1

Hi dj_paige, thanks for reply.

Yes, it's on a different place (please see folder bar)

Folder Structure scrambled.jpg

I'm just wondering what happened that it was not moved... I could reconstruct this using the 2nd opinion you mentioned.

But: The major problem is, that the collections are blown up. E.g. the "Remug" collection contains pictures I never put in there - and: completely different filenames which have never been part of the collection... Weird, isn's it?

I am in the lucky situation, that I exported this collection as a catalog before the "accident" happened.

What I am really wondering is, how could this happen. Before I started testing Lr, I carefully watched Julianne's excellent Youtube videos, specially this one at 0:30: Lightroom CC - Organizing Your Photographs - YouTube - and I am one of these persons carefully obey such advices...

• 3. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
              Roland Rick Level 1

Typo, correct is: "...contains pictures I never put in there - and: pictures with completely different filenames..."

• 4. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                Roland Rick Level 1

I also forgot to attach the second screenshot - please make forum entries editable for owner of entry - to avoid the need of such additional postings..

The pictures now shown in "Remug_2016-06-16" collection

Pictures with filenames never been in collection now in the collection.jpg

are in the imported folder and shot with a Lumix, having filenames like "P1030449.jpg" instead of "DSC_*.NEF" resp. "DSC_*.DNG" from the Remug_2016-06-16 shooting:

Imported folder.jpg

• 5. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                  Roland Rick Level 1

Is it possible, the "dynamiclinkmediaserver" process crashed? Before I got this problems, the dynamiclinkmediaserver was heating my whole appartment by CPU consumption it had. So I rebooted the Mac, but there has been no warning or such things, that dynamiclinkmediaserver is preventing Mac from reboot while it is working.

The folder reorganization I made BEFORE rebooting the Mac.

• 6. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I don't know why it wasn't moved. I recommend moving photos outside of Lightroom and reconnecting, as described in the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders There are just too many reports of photos/folders not moving and sometimes disappearing when the move is done in Lightroom.

You also want to make sure you have backups of all of your photo files and the catalog file (don't forget this part) so that if something does go wrong in your move, the photos/folders/catalog/collections can all be reconstructed.

However, even though I recommended a technique to move your photos above, I have another recommendation that I consider superior: develop a workflow that doesn't require you to move photos from here to there. Put them in the desired folder straight out of the camera, and leave them there. I use folder names by capture date (which is a Lightroom default) and nothing more complicated than that. This is superior to moving because now these moving problems can't happen! You organize and search for your photos by keywords and other metadata, and not by folders. This is more powerful and flexible, and less prone to errors (like the ones you have encountered).

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                      Roland Rick Level 1

Your workflow suggestions: I now already have. I am a newbie to Lightroom and in first few days of 30 day testing period. Learning by doing (after watching almost all of Julianne Kost's Lightroom Youtube postings at least twice) and making mistakes...

Thanks for help!

• 8. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                        Roland Rick Level 1

PS: Please consider also that since I have the SmugMug plugin installed Lightroom started to crash permanently if you use the one or other function of the plugin. Maybe the error occured cause by one of this crashed, there are many reasons for this e.g. connection to dynamiclinkmediaserver process lost or impossible to re-establish after Lr restart. Whatever...

FYC: Lr was running for days super stable until installation of SmugMug plugin. Are you developer? If so, possible you may escalate this with the SmugMug staff... (Y)

CU, Roland

• 9. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                          Roland Rick Level 1

OMG: ...caused by one of this crashes...

• 10. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                            Roland Rick Level 1

To be more precise concerning SmugMug:          SmugMug Publish Plug-in       causes crashes. OK, it's free...

• 11. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                              Roland Rick Level 1

How can I kick-off a backup manually at a later time? My backup disk has not been connected when importing new pictures.

So, there are now many files missing on my backup disk.

I can not find this. If this exists, it's very good hidden...

dj_paige schrieb:

I don't know why it wasn't moved. I recommend moving photos outside of Lightroom and reconnecting, as described in the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders There are just too many reports of photos/folders not moving and sometimes disappearing when the move is done in Lightroom.

You also want to make sure you have backups of all of your photo files and the catalog file (don't forget this part) so that if something does go wrong in your move, the photos/folders/catalog/collections can all be reconstructed.

However, even though I recommended a technique to move your photos above, I have another recommendation that I consider superior: develop a workflow that doesn't require you to move photos from here to there. Put them in the desired folder straight out of the camera, and leave them there. I use folder names by capture date (which is a Lightroom default) and nothing more complicated than that. This is superior to moving because now these moving problems can't happen! You organize and search for your photos by keywords and other metadata, and not by folders. This is more powerful and flexible, and less prone to errors (like the ones you have encountered).

• 12. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                                dj_paige Level 9

There is no way in Lightroom to make backups at a later time

• 13. Re: Folder references blown up, how to reconstruct?
                                  Roland Rick Level 1

Oh, that's a pity! However: Thanks for reply.