8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 4:23 PM by SteveH59

No MPG audio

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I am working on a Prem Elements 11 project for a friend and have saved it on a Flash drive as a MPG file for her to view and approve before I burn it to a DVD.

On my own Win 10 PC, the MPG file plays with VLC and Windows Media Player. There is no problem with the video or audio.

She also has Win 10 and can play the MPG file, but there is no audio (I will not have access to her laptop until tomorrow afternoon, so I cannot troubleshoot any issues that Windows may be having with her sound/audio).

She can, however, play movie files (both sound and audio) that she has downloaded from the Internet without a problem.

Why might she not be able to play my MPG movie, please?

Thank you.

Steve

• 1. Re: No MPG audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'll bet she's trying to play it with Windows Media Player, which is a pretty lousy media player.

I'd suggest your friend try viewing your file on VLC Media Player.

• 2. Re: No MPG audio
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

I can check which player she is using tomorrow - I expect it is WMP.

But either with WMP or VLC, could this be a codec problem?

Wouldn't Windows MP give her an error to say she needs a particular codec?

Thanks

• 3. Re: No MPG audio

Windows Media Player has let me down more often than it's helped me.

• 4. Re: No MPG audio
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Yes, she has Win Media Player installed. I have installed VLC for her.

Neither can hear the audio, so I will need to have a look around for the correct codecs.

Yes, the visual quality of VLC is higher (the images are clearer) than WMP.

I take it you won't be applying for a job with Microsoft any time soon

Steve

• 5. Re: No MPG audio

I wouldn't mess with codecs, Steve. You can really mess your software up tinkering with them.

Besides, DVDs don't need special codecs. They're DVDs! Every computer running Windows or Mac OSX has all of the necessary codecs to play a DVD!

There's something else at work -- though I don't know what, since you say that other videos play fine.

My recommendation? Play the DVD on your TV with your DVD player and see if there is audio on it!

EDIT

Actually, now that I re-read your original post, this isn't a DVD, is it? It's an MPEG. And it is certainly possible to create an MPEG with no audio or with audio in some non-standard codec. But I still wouldn't tinker with your codecs. You can really mess stuff up.

Instead, create an MP4 rather than an MPEG of your video for your friend's approval. MP4s are, among other things, the de facto standard for computer-based video. She will definitely not have an issue playing an MP4 on any current media player. (Though I still believe VLC should be everyone's default video player.)

• 6. Re: No MPG audio
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Thanks again.

How would I save it as an MP4?

If I go to Publish + Share, then Computer, the options are Adobe Flash, MPEG, AVCHD, AVI, Windows Media, Quick Time, Image, Audio.

Thanks.

Steve

• 7. Re: No MPG audio

Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD preset.

• 8. Re: No MPG audio
                        SteveH59 Level 1

That's looking good, Steve.

I can see/hear everything on my own PC and have saved it for my friend.

She will play it tomorrow.

Yes, it is an AVCHD file (Blue Ray) - that's the way it was filmed in the camcorder - so I need to scale down the final, saved file for a normal DVD for a normal DVD Player because not everyone has Blue Ray. I would save that as an MPEG file, wouldn't I?

Thanks again for your time.

Steve