11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 6:11 PM by terrys30580497

Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?

CoryS

I am using Premiere Elements 14, on Windows 10. I got 9 hours into editing a project when I started to have a lot of odd little bugs. My timeline render button would do nothing when clicked, the pan and zoom tool was missing the timing overlays, and most annoyingly, changes made to the motion effect couldn't be properly removed. It would show as removed on the timeline preview, but scrubbing it showed the old settings, and that is how it would export.

That is when I noticed my project settings was 1080i30 instead of 3840x2160p/30. The option to change any of that is greed out and I have spent the entire day on this video. Is there anyway to change the project settings and maintain my edits? Are the bugs I'm seeing inactive of having the wrong project settings? If not what problems can it cause? Will my video still export properly in 4K?

Thanks guys.

• 1. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your project settings are based on the first clip you add to your timeline on Audio 1/Video 1. You can try replacing that first clip with your 4k video and see if it automatically updates to these new settings.

That is really pretty much the only way to change project settings in this program.

• 2. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
            CoryS Level 1

All my clips are 4k. I did however start my project by creating a title. Would that count?

• 3. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?

Your first clip on your timeline NEEDS TO  be a 4k clip if you want your project to set up as 4k.

It doesn't need to be a long clip. It can be just a half a second long. And you can even lower the opacity to zero so that it shows up as black on your video and it will be virtually invisible. But starting your project with a title is the reason the program didn't set up to your video specs.

• 4. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                CoryS Level 1

Thanks you Steve, so being my first clip is 4K, and deleting my title doesn't help, there isn't any way to correct this project? On a slightly different note I have noticed a lot of trouble with the auto project settings after I got a new camera (Lumix G7) Last time it set it up as a RED camera (I wish). I guess that is reason enough to always check it before putting hours of work into it, I just always seem to forget about it being it was accurate with my old camera.

• 5. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                  terrys30580497 Level 3

I'm hate to say it but you must start over.

Much to my surprise you cannot change much in Project settings once you have begun a project.

Here is a copied and pasted excerpt from Premiere Elements help page.

Check your project settings

Project presets include project settings under three categories: General, Capture, and Video Rendering. After you start a project, you can’t change most of the settings, such as frame rate, size, and aspect ratio. However, you can review the settings to ensure that the media you want to add to the project is compatible.

Here is a link to that page Adjust project settings and presets for Adobe Premiere Elements

Regards,Terry

• 6. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?

One possible option that may save you time is to create a new project with the correct settings and then use ClipMate to copy your edited video from one project's timeline to the other.

Technically, you can't copy video from one Premiere Elements project to another. But many have been able to do it using ClipMate.

• 7. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                      CoryS Level 1

Thanks Steve! Btw, I have watched a ton of your videos on Lynda.com which have been a great help getting me started.

• 8. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                        terrys30580497 Level 3

Are you saying clip mate will copy the video at it's native 4K resolution even though Premiere Pro has placed it on the timeline and scaled it to fit automatically?

I created a 1080i project like CoryS to see if I could force a change somehow. I placed a 4K clip on the timeline and it was scaled to fit in the preview window. Plus,when I checked it's scale in applied settings it was scaled to 100%.

Regards, Terry

• 9. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                          CoryS Level 1

It be nice to know exactly what the project settings do. I exported my project in 4K and it looks every bit as good as my raw footage. It is the proper scale and resoloution. Both my 4k files and its preset are the same aspect ratio though.

• 10. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                            terrys30580497 Level 3

I'm intrigued by this ClipMate program you mentioned.

Are you saying that ClipMate will carry over the edits or will it just copy and paste the videos? How do you place all the files on the timeline on the clipboard so ClipMate can copy them?

ClipMate is listed as a copy and paste extender as far as I can tell? Unless it is marketed under another name?

It looks like you must purchase ClipMate as well.

If you want to just transfer all the media contained in a project than why not just archive the project using Premiere Elements? Open the new project from that folder.

Regards, Terry

• 11. Re: Any way to salvage a project with wrong settings?
                              terrys30580497 Level 3

As long as your source footage has a resolution as high as your output settings. Then you should just render your video to 4K and change nothing.

I just loaded a project with project settings of 1280 x 720. It contained a lot of 1280 x 720 footage and I couldn't change the project settings.I placed some new media on the timeline that was 1920 x 1080. Then I rendered the video to 1080p. The 1080p was clear as a bell and had no degradation whatsoever.

Granted, the clips all were of the same frame rate.

I wouldn't re-edit, Use ClipMate or add any extra steps to your project.

You can even change the frame rate or anything else by doing a Custom Export.

In my unprofessional opinion. You're all set. Enjoy

Regards, Joe

One thing the project settings do is give you a Project default size. Larger clips or images are scaled down to fit within the project dimensions automatically. So I can see some benefits in getting the settings right.