4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 12:05 PM by Rick Gerard

After Effects: Displacement Map Problem

anastazjas16052029

Hello everybody,

i want to use a displacement map over a moving stroke to create a liquid effect. My problem is, that the stroke don't change anyway! I have no idea what

i've done wrong. Everything seams ok but the stroke layer (solid) don't change... any ideas?

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-19 um 16.49.50.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-19 um 16.50.05.png

• 1. Re: After Effects: Displacement Map Problem
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you run into problems like this pre-compose. For example, if you apply Fractal Noise to a layer to generate the displacement map then you have to pre-compose the fractal noise layer and move all attributes to the pre-comp so that the displacement map will be rendered before it is used as a source for displacement.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 8.21.14 AM.png

BTW, this screenshot to completely explain the process was set up by selecting all layers in all comps and pressing the U key twice to show the modified properties of the layers. When you have a problem it's a lot easier to precisely diagnose the problem if we know what you are modifying. Your screenshots only hint at the problem. You can just use print screen and paste in the reply field on Windows or Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 and drag to the reply field on this forum to post a screenshot of the entire project.

You may want to try a shape layer with only a stroke and add trim paths instead of using Stroke applied to a solid. There are more options like end caps and gradient fills. and you may get a better result.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 8.36.30 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects: Displacement Map Problem
            anastazjas16052029 Level 1

thank you for the fast answer!

attached you receive some screenshots showing the modified properties. perhaps this shows my problem in detail?

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-19 um 17.43.28.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-19 um 17.43.38.png

• 3. Re: After Effects: Displacement Map Problem
              anastazjas16052029 Level 1

well, i tried it with a shape layer as you said. it works (thank you ) but i'm still wondering what's going on with the first method...

• 4. Re: After Effects: Displacement Map Problem
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The fractal noise layer is analyzed for its pixel content first and then effects are applied. When you use Desplacement Map it looks at the reference layer's original pixels before any effects are applied. Pre-composing changes the order so the effects are now rendered before the pixels are used as a reference.