7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 2:35 AM by Laubender

Linked text boxes in Table Cells

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

I read that as a work around to flow text from cell to cell in a table- -it was suggested to paste threaded text boxes into the table cells, but I can't figure out how to click on the in and out ports to thread the text boxes. I can't click on them once they are in the cell. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

No, I don't think that's possible:

• Cells themselves are standalone, and can't be threaded
          • When you thread text boxes in advance and paste them into cells the threads break
          • You can't load the text cursor from an in port or out port in a table (it's just ignored)
          • And if you convert a cell to a graphics cell (a CC feature), you can't select the cell and convert it to text—it's grayed out.
            InDesign CCss_001.png
          • 2. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells

Ugh, maddening. I had asked this question awhile back and the reply was the threaded text method that I mentioned, but when I attempted it recently I couldnt do it and I thought I had just forgotten how. Seems really bizarre that there is no option in tables to have the text flow from cell to cell. Thank you for your help today, Barb.

• 3. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells

My pleasure... I tried everything I could think of.

• 4. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells

I did come across this link by Ann-Marie Concepcion - -she is an InDesign Master Wizard! Seems complicated- -but in re-reading it now - -maybe I can make use of it . Gonna give it a shot. Here it is- -if you're interested - -http://indesignsecrets.com/thread-text-between-table-cells.php

• 5. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells

That looks pretty easy, actually. Merge two cells, paste a text frame and make it 2 (or more) columns. Very cool!

It won't work, of course, if the text needs to hop around the table—it will need to stay on the same row. With column breaks you could make it skip a column or two but that's about it.

• 6. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells

Yup, AMC is a smarty pants ! For my purposes, it's probably not going to work, but maybe I can fake it by just anchoring a text box over the table. Seems barbaric, but might work. Thanks, again.

• 7. Re: Linked text boxes in Table Cells
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello Barb,

what is actually possible—by scripting, not in the UI—is to anchor the first text frame of a threaded story to an insertion point of a text cell of a table. If that would help much is a different question:

AnchoredTextFrameOfThreadedStory-To-TextCell.png

To achieve this, you could experiment with the code (ExtendScript/JavaScript) below.
                      What you need to run the script snippet without error:

1. One single table in a document where the first cell is a text cell

2. Selected the first text frame of a threaded story (best on the same spread with the table)

Important notes:

1. After running the snippet you cannot add new text frames to the threaded story in the UI. With another script this should be doable (not tested).

2. The snippet has no extensive error handling for the selection, the table object or the cell type.

// AnchorTextFrameToTableCellInsertionPoint.jsx
                      // Uwe Laubender

/**
                      * @@@BUILDINFO@@@ AnchorTextFrameToTableCellInsertionPoint.jsx !Version! Mon Jun 20 2016 11:07:36 GMT+0200
                      */

/*
                          See discussion at InDesign forum:
                          "Linked text boxes in Table Cells"
                          SIcsempertyrannis Jun 19, 2016
                          https://forums.adobe.com/message/8821034#8821034
                      */

main();

function main()
                      {
                          //Some checks on the document, the selection and the stories:
                          if(app.documents.length == 0){return};
                          if(app.selection.length !== 1){return};
                          if(app.selection[0].constructor.name != "TextFrame"){return};
                          if(app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().getElements().length < 2){return};
                          if(app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().getElements().length == 0){return};

var textFrame = app.selection[0];

var table = app.documents[0].
                              stories.everyItem().
                              tables.everyItem().
                              getElements()[0];

textFrame.anchoredObjectSettings.insertAnchoredObject
                          (
                              table.cells[0].insertionPoints[0],
                              AnchorPosition.ANCHORED
                          );

};

Regards,