2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 8:17 AM by Geobop

Creating an Image Library

Geobop Level 1

I have two fairly simple questions.

First, I work on a Mac, and I'm subscribed to Adobe Creative Suite. I have several websites focusing on a variety of topics. One site focuses on biology, which means I'm eventually going to need images of thousands of species of animals and plants. It's going to be a lot of work.

I need a software program that allows me to organize images into categories and subcategories, like this...

Animals

> Mammals (Mammalia)

>> Carnivores (Carnivora)

>>> Cats (Felidae)

>>>> Lynx

Suppose I find thirteen images of lynxes that I'd like to add to my library. I want to annotate them with a variety of tags and notes - the source, copyright status, permissions I've received to use them, black-and-white vs color, etc.

I started working on such a project a few years ago using Aperture, but I ran into some sort of snag. I can't even remember what happened, but I'm trying to decide if I should start over with Aperture or switch to another program. So my first question is kind of stupid, but if I go with Adobe, should I choose Lightroom or Bridge?

The reason I ask is that someone told me that Bridge is actually better suited to this project than Lightroom.

Second question: Importing a few thousand images into any program is going to result in one helluva big file size. How do people deal with this problem? I've thought about creating thumbnails of my images and importing those instead. Each image would then be annotated with the path to the original, so I can easily obtain a bigger image.

Rather than create one huge biology library, I'll probably break it down into mammals, birds, etc.

Thanks for any tips.

• 1. Re: Creating an Image Library
          dj_paige Level 9

Depending on a bunch of factors that you haven't addressed, Lightroom or Bridge may be the better tool. In fact, you could easily do the whole thing in your operating system.

Nevertheless, since this is a Lightroom forum, and I'm kind of biased, I'd say Lightroom is the better tool, it does more things, and it does them better than Bridge ... and you can't actually purchase Bridge by itself. But you may not need the entire set of tools Lightroom provides.

The photos are not stored in Lightroom. They are stored on your hard disk somewhere, in the place that you put them, or in the place where you instruct Ligthroom to put them. Lightroom's catalog size shouldn't be an issue.

I've thought about creating thumbnails of my images and importing those instead.

Don't do this. Lightroom does it for you in the background. As I said, the photos are not stored in Lightroom.

Rather than create one huge biology library, I'll probably break it down into mammals, birds, etc.

Big mistake. Make your life simple. Use one catalog. Lightroom can handle it.

• 2. Re: Creating an Image Library
            Geobop Level 1

Great tips; I think that's about all I need to know. Thanks.