6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 2:00 AM by bataibarat123

iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working

JCS1 Level 1

With Apple abandoning iPhoto I have bought and installed Lightroom 6, however, when I use the plugin it returns an error message (error ?: nil) and does nothing. I see other posts with the same problem with LR 5.7 but I don't see any solution posted. Am I just hooped and need to load all my originals from source and lose all edits, key words and faces or is there a solution out there which will help?  Any guidance would be appreciate, even if it is just start over and kiss you earlier work good bye. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jcs,

Please try and reset the Lightroom preferences back to default.

Press the shift + option keys immediately after you restart Lightroom, and select Reset Preferences from the resulting dialog box.

If the above solution doesn't help, then uninstall the Lightroom version and re-install it.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
            JCS1 Level 1

I tried both steps, no success.  Still getting the error "?:0. attempt to index a nil value". Any other thoughts out there or am I hooped? Thanks.

• 3. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Please check the below discussion  and check if that helps.

Error when trying to import from Aperture Library

Regards,

Mohit

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
                JCS1 Level 1

I started with that thread before I waded into this in the first place, though unfortunately after I bought LR 6.  Most of the dialogue focuses on an earlier version of both the plugin and LR (5.7 as I recall). There are comments about it being still early days and perhaps Adobe will sort it out. No such luck it appears as it has been more tan a year and the problem persists. The last comment indicates if you get it working, you lose most if not all of the data I was striving to save and as it was an aperture comment I am not sure it is all that material. My base problem is I can't get to importing anything before it errors out. This was an opportunity for Adobe to come in and grab some market share from disgruntled iPhoto users.  No positive feedback here.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
                  bataibarat123

I just bought LR6 and have the same issue importing my 56,000+ photos from iPhoto. Adobe please help!

Thanks.

• 6. Re: iPhoto to LR 6 plugin not working
                    bataibarat123 Level 1

I have successfully converted my 55,000 photographs in iPhoto to separate event files which I then imported into Lightroom 6 using a work around. The iMac OSX app "Sync for iPhoto" which is developed by Oktoid was crucial in the conversion process.

There is a feature in the app which moves all the photographs from the iPhoto database into separate event files (using the same event names as in iPhoto) and it can also be separated by year and month. What was also good was the ability to move the star ratings across to Lightroom.

Hope this helps!