5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 10:07 AM by Peru Bob

Can anyone see any problems this $3K build (for video editing)?

best-light Level 1

My goal is to have a quiet, fast PC for video editing (mostly Premiere, possibly some AfterEffects) with a max budget of CAD $3000. If any of you hardware experts see anything wrong with this list, or can suggest items that could be improved upon, I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VMGQ7h

PCPartPicker part list:

CPU:
      Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($491.98 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler:
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($103.93 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard:
      Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($369.88 @ Canada Computers)

Memory:
      Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($398.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Storage (boot disk & programs):
      Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($107.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage (scratch drive, active project files):
      Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($398.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage (completed projects):
      Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($253.98 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card:
      Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($359.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case:
      Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.98 @ NCIX)

Power Supply:
      Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Optical Drive:
      Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($24.35 @ Vuugo)

Operating System:
      Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($118.98 @ DirectCanada)

Other:
      Vantec USB 3.0 Multi-Memory Internal Card Reader ($27.50)

Total: $2956.50

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 22:24 EDT-0400

• 1. Re: Can anyone see any problems this $3K build (for video editing)?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may want to consider a full size case rather than a mid size.

You also may want to consider W10 Pro instead of Home.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Can anyone see any problems this $3K build (for video editing)?
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

CPU:
            upgrade to latest broadwell-e, i7-6800k. they do not overclock as high, reports are 4.2ghz averages vs 4.4 of haswell-e, but still reported faster at the slightly lower clock speeds.

CPU Cooler:
            take a look at the noctua NH-D15S, its a modified version of the D15 with only one fan. a second fan can be bought separate and added for higher overclocks. max overclocks will need liquid 280mm or larger, but air is often recommended here to avoid pump leak/failure problems.

Motherboard:
            there are new motherboards out, refreshed x99 models for the new broadwell-e cpu's. the asus models have a "II" in the name, like the "X99-A II". the asus strix x99 is new, but doesn't have the "II" in the name. these new motherboards seem to be better designed for the 28 lane cpu's, as they can split the pcie lanes to x8/x8/x8, vs the older models that do x16/x8/x4. so the new motherboards can use the third x8 slot for a third gpu or raid card etc, vs only x4 cards on old motherboards. you can download the pdf manuals for more info/specs too.

Storage (completed projects):

you may want to look for enterprise drives, some models aren't too much more money but usually much lower failure rates and better protection against data corruption. enterprise NAS drives are another option that are somewhat cheaper, but can be slower. HGST or Hitachi has the best reputation for quality, was bought by WD.

Video Card:
            gtx 970 prices should come down to $200-$250 USD or less, once the new amd rx 480 is released soon. if you are using a card like the strix version that has two fans that exhaust air inside the case, make sure you have enough case fans moving enough air thru the case so the hot air from the gpu doesn't interfere with the cpu overclock. some cards use a blower style fan, like the white asus turbo gtx 970, that helps keep hot air out of the case, but is slightly louder.

Case:
            the Fractal Design Define R5 is the gold standard for cases, but it won't support larger e-atx size motherboards. so check the motherboard you pick. most of the asus x99 motherboards are atx, but some like the WS is larger.

Power Supply:
            the higher you plan on overclocking, the higher watt you will want, up to 850w to 1kw. the corsair RMx is ok/good. evga usually has good prices on their models, like the G2, P2, or T2, which for close to the same price are usually better quality than the corsair models. evga has one of the best oem's for those models, while corsair has been using a more value, but still ok/good oem to save money. corsiar was using a better oem, and that's how they got their reputation, but now only uses that high quality oem for their AX models.

Operating System:
            there are several features pro offers over home, but the only one you may find of use is the control over windows updates that is locked out in the home version.  Windows 10 editions - Wikipedia

Price:

swapping to the i7-6800k cpu, asus x99-A II motherboard, noctua NH-D15S, hgst enterprise hdd, and evga 850w P2 psu was similar in price. you may have to add some 140mm fans to your part list for the case airflow and another noctua fan if doing medium to high overclocks with the NH-D15S.

• 4. Re: Can anyone see any problems this $3K build (for video editing)?
              best-light Level 1

Awesome feedback, thanks RoninEdits! I'll do more research and look into all of your recommendations.

The i7-6800k sounds great, makes sense to get the latest since it's not a huge price difference.

I actually looked at the ASUS x99-A II first, but chose the x99-Pro mostly because it adds WIFI. But considering the advantages you list for the II, maybe I can just add a wireless PCI card instead.

I appreciate all of your other suggestions as well; will check them out. Putting together this build has been quite a (fun) learning curve for me, and it's definitely helpful to get pointers from the real experts!

• 5. Re: Can anyone see any problems this $3K build (for video editing)?
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RoninEdits wrote:

Operating System:
                there are several features pro offers over home, but the only one you may find of use is the control over windows updates that is locked out in the home version. Windows 10 editions - Wikipedia

Thinking about the future, Pro supports more RAM than Home.