3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 11:50 AM by Rick Gerard

Realistic 3D text on a surface - Which tool is the best for matching perspective?

jacobo_friso

Hello guys, I have this shot in my project and i want to attach 3D text on the cinema screen so it looks like its on it surface... What method would be the best to achieve realistic look? Realistic in a meaning that it will just fit the perspective of a screen I dont need to simulate that text is projected on it...

Can this be achieved with 3D tracker?

image:

hilfe forum.jpg - Google Drive

Thank you

• 1. Re: Realistic 3D text on a surface - Which tool is the best for matching perspective?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects has no 3D tracker, it has a camera tracker. For Track Camera to work your shot needs fixed geometry in the scene and a fairly standard camera move. Your description of the shot you want to use does not say anything about camera movement.

Matching perspective on steady or locked down shots is usually easiest to handle with Corner Pin or Corner Pin tracking. The trick is that the Corner Pin effect uses the full layer size so you need to take that into consideration. Corner Pin tracking uses the frame size of the layer you are tracking.

With a little better explanation of what your camera shot is like we can point you in the right direction. If you want to explore options on your own and you are relatively familiar with AE then type corner pin or Track Camera into the search help; field at the top; right corner of AE and check out the community resources.

BTW, it's so easy to post images to this forum. you just have to drag them from the desktop or finder. Screenshots on windows are a simple matter of pressing Print Screen and then Ctrl/Cmnd + V (paste) in the forum's reply field. Referenced images from the internet can be added using the little icon at the top of the screen -

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.30.39 PM.png

so in the future please add your images to your posts. It makes it easier for us to help you.

• 2. Re: Realistic 3D text on a surface - Which tool is the best for matching perspective?
            jacobo_friso Level 1

Hello Rick, thanks for advice sorry for the image, here it is: (hope it helps)

hilfe forum.jpg

• 3. Re: Realistic 3D text on a surface - Which tool is the best for matching perspective?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the camera is not moving then your best option is to just apply Corner Pin to the replacement screen and then do some color grading. You might want to experiment with blend modes.