3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 2:44 AM by Sven EI

Open InDesign files from 2001

Sven EI

Hi I can't open my old files that have been dormant for some years (since 2001), thee where saved on a PC and I am now on Mac and CS6. I could open a few but not all files, especially the ones I need.

When trying to open ID is shut down and files are not open creating a fail report each time.

Is there any settings in CS 6 to open old files?

Is there any service where you can send old files and have them reopened?

• 1. Re: Open InDesign files from 2001
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Sven,

you mentioned a "fail" report. Is this a simple message or is this a "crash" report?
          What is/are the InDesign version/s of the old files?

Do you have access to older versions of InDesign on your Mac? CS4, CS5, CS5.5 perhaps?
          If yes, try to open the files there. But before: Do it with duplicates of the documents.

Speaking about "duplicates": How did you transfer the InDesign documents to your Mac?
          Maybe the files went corrupt in the process of transfering them…

Regards,
          Uwe

• 2. Re: Open InDesign files from 2001
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Most likely the files are damaged -- newer versions of ID should open legacy files without any problem.

Your crash report might provide a clue (but might not). Post it on pastebin.com, NOT HERE, and provide a link.

• 3. Re: Open InDesign files from 2001
              Sven EI Level 1

Thank you

Yes, it's a crash report (used wrong name).

I unfortunately don't have older versions of ID on my Mac, I copied them from my old hard drive so as you say they might have been corrupted but that doesn't explain why I can open some and some not.