11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2017 10:23 AM by aland94384507

Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC

aland94384507

I’m looking for more the supreme end of the sys reqs for Adobe CC on Windows.

I’m investing in a New Desktop PC (not laptop) and wish to get the max setup for running for pretty much Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design open all day every day,  and hopping between all 3 pretty much all the time.

Do I opt for higher ram? Processor? I’m assuming a super duper graphics card isn’t too important as it won’t be for gaming?

So while I’ve read Adobe recommended sys req's, I’m keen to spend a little extra than just "recommended".

So for example Adobe recommends 8GM Ram, but if I get 16 will I notice a difference?

To go one step further with my question, if I pushed to 32GB for example, would that be a waste of money as I wouldn't see much/any difference from 16 to 32 on PSD/IND/AI at least?

Or alternatively after X amount of Ram, should I then be giving priority to the processor?

Hope my question makes sense.

I really appreciate your input folks, and please don’t direct me to the general sys req page.

I’d like to ensure I get the best spec setup, but without wasting money on unnecessary ram, processor etc.

That said I’d like to think the spec would future proof me for the next 3-5 years at least as I’m a small operator and don’t have the time or funds to invest again anytime soon.

Thanks folks!

• 1. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
          KanikaS Adobe Employee

Hi,

Kindly refer the the link for basic system requirements ::

System requirements | Adobe Creative Cloud

For further clarifications, kindly get in touch with Adobe support ::

Contact Customer Care

**Be sure to remain signed in with your Adobe ID before accessing the link above**

• 2. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

a four core cpu should be enough power, something like the i7-6700 or i7-6700k (the k version might be around 10% faster). if you wanted to spend more on something faster, there are 6 core cpu's, like the i7-6800k. however it needs to be overclocked to get it running fast. some custom pc shops will build it this way for you. 8 cores or higher gets wasteful for the software you mention.

16gb of ram minimum. since you plan on having several programs open at once, chances are decent it will be near or over the 16gb. it will just depend on the media and projects you have. more ram may not be noticed much in performance, it just helps when switching between open applications. 32gb would play it safe, and its not too expensive these days. if you do decide 16gb, just make sure its 2 sticks of 8gb, and the system/motherboard you get is able to hold 4 sticks, so you can add in another 16gb (2x8gb) later if desired.

a gtx 950 or 960 should be ok, unless you are planning on using a 10bit monitor for color accuracy. then you might want to look at the quadro M2000. some cards will be 2gb of vram or 4gb, more memory will help with multiple monitors at high resolutions.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
              aland94384507 Level 1

thanks but as I said I did not need a link to the Adobe sys reqs which do absolutely nothing to address my specific question.

For comparison, RoninEdits' reply is exactly what I was looking for in my post.

• 4. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
                aland94384507 Level 1

Thanks very much, this is exactly the type of helpful and moreover useful information I was looking for. Thanks a million RoninEdits!

• 5. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
                  aland94384507 Level 1

RoninEdits Im not sure if I should be considering Xeon over i7? Any advice again based on the software mix Im using? Thanks.

• 6. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC

xeon's on workstation/server motherboards can offer many different features, but most are for IT management or server stuff. for adobe software the only feature a xeon system would offer is ECC memory. desktop (non-ecc) memory currently is very reliable, so ecc memory isn't really needed. i would just stick with I7 builds, they are usually cheaper than xeon builds, and with the i7-6700k have higher clock speeds than xeon, and can run faster ddr4 memory with a z170 motherboard.

• 7. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
                      aland94384507 Level 1

Super helpful and super clear thanks - just the clarity I needed. Decision made :-)

• 8. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
                        aland94384507 Level 1

Hi Ronin, finances got in the way so only now in position to hit the Go button. Just one last question.

The main scenario I face and really wish to avoid with new Hardware, is, if Im working in Pshop for example substantially enlarging a photo for use in super high res, very large scale artwork (e.g. 4ft square) for large scale printing, I often have to sit and wait for over 10mins while the progress bar builds.... slooooooowly. It also means my PC is rendered unusable during this so its total downtime. Is this GPU? Then, when all is done and I want to Save, same issue as it writes to the drive. Is this RAM, HDD vs SSD?
                        Someone suggested 16GB DDR4 RAM would be plenty, that 32 DDR4 would never be used, and so Im wondering if true should the difference be better spent on more powerful GPU?

• 9. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC

this is the premiere pro hardware forum, so i'm not as familiar with photoshop as the folks over in the the photoshop forum. i will give you my 2 cents, but you may want to ask there.

this article Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ   suggests photoshop cc uses gpu for the "image size" function. if your current machine doesn't have a dedicated video card it may be using the cpu to resize and that may explain why its taking so long. the various recommendations i have seen for photoshop usually top out with the gtx 960. if you are looking for something faster or with more vram, then you may want to consider the new amd rx 470 4-8gb or nvidia gtx 1060 3-6gb. both cards are a fair jump in performance over the gtx 960. the pixel count of your document/pictures may determine how much gpu memory is needed. after those cards they take a large jump in price for something faster and may not be worth the extra cost unless constantly batch resizing.

the amount of ram needed will depend on the document/project in each program and how many programs you have open together. if the motherboard supports 4 sticks of ram you can start with 16gb (2x8gb) and add more memory later if you decide. i would guess most photoshop folks would opt for 32gb ram and a mid level gpu vs 16gb ram and a high end gpu.

for saving, i believe cpu speed, ram amount, and drive speed should all come into play. ssd's are alot faster than hdd's and if budget allows you might consider the samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd. its several times faster than a sata ssd like the samsung 850. the motherboard would have to support a nvme/pcie m.2 or an adapter would be needed. the 512gb model may be large enough to hold os/apps/scratch/media and then use a second large hdd for backups and/or misc storage.

• 11. Re: Optimum System Requirements for AI PS and ID on PC
                            aland94384507 Level 1

Hi RoninEdits I hope you don't mind another question as you gave excellent advice in the past on this setup.

Basically I ended up purchasing a great PC and with a GTX 1060 6GB GPU. Again PC is pretty much for multi tasking between Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator all day, every day.

A small amount of Video processing/rendering.

My question is my Gamer son, recently built his own PC and got a 1050Ti 4Gb. He's now trying to convince me for what Im doing, Id see zero difference in swapping my 1060/6GB for his 1050ti/4GB but he would see a difference in his Gaming. Im not pushed either way. But would love to know is he "managing his message to suit his own needs". :-0

For what its worth Im not offended if someone tells me he's taking me for a ride. Wouldnt be the first time.