8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 10:19 AM by homeboy4

Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report

homeboy4 User Group Manager

I created a 48 page report which includes an appendix of about 10 forms. I want three of the forms to be fillable. I saved those three separately, I created the forms using Acrobat and replaced them back into the original document. But when they were put in they lost their fillinability. I eventually solved the problem by opening the entire 48 page report as form in Acrobat and then deleting all the unwanted elements it automatically found (including boxes around cross references) -- except for the three pages I wanted.

I assume there's a better workflow, particularly since I expect corrections to the document. Lay it on me.

• 1. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Best advice I have is to ask in the Acrobat forum.

• 2. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report
            Derek Cross Level 6

You can create the form in InDesign (adding text boxes, tick and radio boxes, and so on), then export it as an Interactive PDF and fine tune it in Acrobat.  That's the preferred workflow.

This is a very comprehensive online video tutorial: http://www.trainsimple.com/CourseDetailUser.aspx?id=242

• 3. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried moving the non-form pages into the form document, instead of the other way around?

• 4. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report

SJRiegel wrote:

"Have you tried moving the non-form pages into the form document, instead of the other way around?"

Yes, and when I do that, the non-form pages become forms (with automatically created form boxes) which puts me in an identical situation as if I bring the entire document into Acrobat.

• 5. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report

Derek Cross wrote:

"You can create the form in InDesign (adding text boxes, tick and radio boxes, and so on), then export it as an Interactive PDF and fine tune it in Acrobat.  That's the preferred workflow."

Thanks. But the problem isn't how to create forms. It's how to create forms on only three of 48 pages and leave the other 45 pages "un-formed."

• 6. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report
                    SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its sounds like you are talking about having the whole thing together in InDesign. What I meant was to create the two documents separately in InDesign, outputting the one as a form, and the other as not. 

Then combine the documents within Acrobat, only after you are done finalizing the form section.

• 7. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report

SJRiegel wrote:

"Its sounds like you are talking about having the whole thing together in InDesign. What I meant was to create the two documents separately in InDesign, outputting the one as a form, and the other as not.

Then combine the documents within Acrobat, only after you are done finalizing the form section."

Oh. I think I understand you. All I did in Design was create tables that actually looked like forms. I didn't do any of the interactivity while I was in InDesign. Then I exported them as two separate documents: 45 pages in one PDF and 3 pages in another PDF. Then I opened the 3-pager in Acrobat and used its form facility to automatically create the fillable boxes. I didn't it this way because if I had done it while in InDesign, I would have had to create all those boxes by hand. Acrobat does it automatically. Are you suggesting it would make a difference if: (1) I originally started with two separate InDesign documents rather than one, or (2) I create the boxes while in InDesign  -- in a separate 3-page document?

Although I haven't done it, I suspect I'll get to the same place: PDFs seem to "know" if they are a form or not. If a PDF is a form like the 3-page document, then whatever you add to it, it assumes is also a form -- and if there is form-like stuff on it, it will add unwanted boxes that need to be deleted by hand. (Unless there is a "turn off automatically making a form" switch -- which would solve the problem.) Alternately, if a PDF is NOT a form like the 45-page document, then whatever you add to it -- even if it is a form -- loses its "form-ness."

• 8. Re: Want 3 PDF Fillable Forms in 48 Page Report

SJRiegel: You are right. problem solved. I did it again just now. Replacing the three form pages in the document with new-created fillable pages does indeed cause them to lose their form-ness. But I added the 45 non-form pages to the three form pages and and everything is fine. Not sure why when I did it last night and opened in Acrobat it created all those unwanted boxes. Anyway, thanks.