4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2006 3:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

From a designer's point of view...

sswenson
      This hasn't seemed to be talked about much so I thought I would see if I could get some dialogue generated on the subject.

When it comes to my graphic designers in the Flex workflow:

1. should I keep them in the Flash environment or move them to the Flex environment?

2. where is the delineation between Flex & Flash (from a design standpoint)?

3. to what level should things be designed/developed in Flash vs. Flex?
      a. does it make any sense to have my Flash designers doing anything with the Flash drawing API (or other programmatic design elements) or is there a Flex equivalent?

4. if I make the assumption to have Flash be used as a designer for "interactive" elements and Flex for UI and other elements am I on the right track?
        • 1. Re: From a designer's point of view...
          Level 7
          At the bottom of the Developer Center Getting Started page is a section
          specifically for Flash Developers (at the bottom of the page).

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/getting_started.html

--
          Jason Szeto
          Adobe Flex SDK Developer

"sswenson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e4dmgk$4ne$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > <i>This hasn't seemed to be talked about much so I thought I would see if
          > I
          > could get some dialogue generated on the subject.</i>
          >
          > When it comes to my graphic designers in the Flex workflow:
          >
          > <b>1. should I keep them in the Flash environment or move them to the Flex
          > environment?</b>
          >
          > <b>2. where is the delineation between Flex & Flash (from a design
          > standpoint)?</b>
          >
          > <b>3. to what level should things be designed/developed in Flash vs. Flex?
          > a. does it make any sense to have my Flash designers doing anything
          > with
          > the Flash drawing API (or other programmatic design elements) or is there
          > a
          > Flex equivalent?</b>
          >
          > <b>4. if I make the assumption to have Flash be used as a designer for
          > "interactive" elements and Flex for UI and other elements am I on the
          > right
          > track?</b>
          >

• 2. Re: From a designer's point of view...
            ElectricGrandpa
            Yes, but the question was about Flash *Designers*, not developers. I'm also interested in this topic.

q] Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            At the bottom of the Developer Center Getting Started page is a section
            specifically for Flash Developers (at the bottom of the page).

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/getting_started.html

--
            Jason Szeto
            Adobe Flex SDK Developer

• 3. Re: From a designer's point of view...
              sswenson Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: ElectricGrandpa
              Yes, but the question was about Flash *Designers*, not developers. I'm also interested in this topic.

ElectricGrandpa has it correct. In particular I am trying to decide how much workload should be kept in Flash and what is more reasonable to have developed/designed in Flex. In deciding to use Flex it is crucial to know how I need to re-organize my team so as to best use them and their skills, where to apply additional training and where I may have gaps that I need to fill.

Should "look and feel" elements of my RIAs be designed and developed in Flex or Flash? Should interactive content be kept in the Flash realm and added programmatically to my RIAs? If so, where is a logical line to draw between what Flash does best and where Flex can take over?

Any help would be appreciated.
              • 4. Re: From a designer's point of view...
                Level 7
                Hi there -

There aren't really any cut and dry answers, but there have been some posts
                and blogs in the past that offer some opinions and can help get you thinking
                about the topic in more detail. Folks like Jesse Warden and Mike Chambers
                have talked about the division of labor between Flash and Flex and the
                designer/developer workflow that can add more color to this topic. Some of
                these postings apply to Flex 1.5, but I don't see too much of a difference
                with Flex 2.

Jesse Wardens' thoughts from over a year ago which might give some guidance:
                http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2005/01/why_flash_devel.html

Mike Chambers wrote something when we released the alpha of Flex 2 that
                provides some ideas:
                http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flex2_flash.html

And one posting that came up just this week:
                http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flex_builder_flash.html

Best,
                Deepa Subramaniam
                Flex SDK Developer

"sswenson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e4g1tg$7gn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > <blockquote>quote:<br><hr><i>Originally posted by:
                > <b><b>ElectricGrandpa</b></b></i>
                > Yes, but the question was about Flash *Designers*, not developers. I'm
                > also
                > interested in this topic.
                >
                > ElectricGrandpa has it correct. In particular I am trying to decide how
                > much
                > workload should be kept in Flash and what is more reasonable to have
                > developed/designed in Flex. In deciding to use Flex it is crucial to know
                > how I
                > need to re-organize my team so as to best use them and their skills, where
                > to
                > apply additional training and where I may have gaps that I need to fill.
                >
                > Should "look and feel" elements of my RIAs be designed and developed in
                > Flex
                > or Flash? Should interactive content be kept in the Flash realm and added
                > programmatically to my RIAs? If so, where is a logical line to draw
                > between
                > what Flash does best and where Flex can take over?
                >
                > Any help would be appreciated.
                >