3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 2:34 AM by quintr54717816

Output Distance Between Two Null Objects Used As Trackers

quintr54717816

I'm new to AE, so hopefully the way the topic is stated makes sense.

The objective is to create a polar chart where the x-axis is time in seconds and the y-axis is the distance between the two null objects. 

In order to create the chart, I need as output from AE, the distance between the two objects being tracked over the clip's duration.  If creating a polar chart in AE were possible, I would ask; however, I believe it isn't.  Therefore, the next best outcome is to have AE produce the output which I can then use in external charting software.

Can someone help put me on the right path?

Cheers,

Quint

• 1. Re: Output Distance Between Two Null Objects Used As Trackers
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post a photo or a sketch of what you want the chart to look like. It's entirely possible in AE using a number of techniques but it won't be in real time. You would use expressions to measure the distance between two null objects - easy with the Length method that is part of the expression language library that comes with AE. You can turn that into a motion path or scale or angle or any value you can animate. Without details and a sketch of what you want the final product to look like there are too many op;tons to give you what you want as a list of steps.

You will need to be fairly familiar with AE to pull this off. If you have never worked with expressions before you'll either need to have someone translate your vision into reality or spend a few days experimenting on your own.

• 2. Re: Output Distance Between Two Null Objects Used As Trackers
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure you can produce a polar chart in AE, you just completely lack any experience in using the program, which will make this endlessly complicated for you.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Output Distance Between Two Null Objects Used As Trackers
              quintr54717816 Level 1

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your input.  Here's a working example done in the Highcharts javascript library (the script should run automatically, if not, click on "Run"):

http://jsfiddle.net/pqvgv5k0/2/

In this case, it represents a 30-second clip where the y-value is the distance between the two null objects each second.  The data is just an example but as you mentioned, it could be obtained from the length method using expressions.  Getting that data isn't the difficult part.  Using it to construct a similar/better polar chart animation in AE would be, as pointed out by you and Mylenium, a steep hill to climb.