4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 2:41 PM by RoninEdits

Need inputs on my computer build for Premiere/AfterEffects/Photoshop/Lightroom

jomsjoms Level 1

Hi,

I am in the middle of buying a new computer and I have purchased most parts already. I do have some questions though.

To begin with, I am a hobbyist and would be building this for Creative cloud Premiere/ After Effects / Photoshop / Lightroom. (No games)

I take pictures with my Sony a7rii (40MB+ RAW pics) and home videos with my Sony AX33 video cam (4k recording).

I am an average Photoshop user, currently learning Lightroom, and will learn Premiere and After Effects in the near future.

I am not a professional and I only do this as a hobby.

My system:

CPU - Intel i7-6800K Broadwell-E (mildly overclocked to 4Ghz)

RAM - 32GB Gskill Ripjaws 4 F4-2666C 15Q-32GRR (red) - 8GBx4pcs

Vcard - Asus Geforce GTX960 (soon to be GTX 1070)

Mboard - Asus X99 Deluxe USB 3.1

Power Supply - Corsair AX 860i Power Supply

Case - Corsair Case 600T Mid-Tower Case

CPU cooler - Noctua D15

Monitor - BenQ BL3201PH (4K monitor) 32"

Calibrate - Xrite i1 Display Pro

Windows 10 - 64bit

Drives: (I don't really want to do any RAID as I have no experience in that)

New - Samsung 850 PRO SSD 512GB

New - Samsung 950 PRO SSD M.2 NVM PCI-Express 512GB

New - Western Digital Black - 4TB

New - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB (For use on my other computer or should I use it here too?)

New - Western Digital Enterprise Class WD Re+ WD6005FRPZ - 6TB Datacenter storage (Got this from my brother. He won't use it anymore.)

Used - 256GB SSD

Used - 2TB Western Digital Green - 2TB x 2

Questions:

1) i7-6850 won't be a dramatic upgrade for me since I will only be using 1x video card right? The 8core/10core is much too expensive for me.

2) What would be the best configuration for my hard drives? Is this correct?

OS/Programs = Samsung 850 PRO SSD 512GB

Scratch Disk  = Samsung 950 PRO SSD M.2 NVM PCI-Express 512GB (since ive read that I should assign the scratch disk to the fastest drive)

Storage = Western Digital Black - 4TB (For storage of stock images/video)

Backup = Western Digital Enterprise - 6TB (Backup of edited image/video. Note: I have a 2nd backup of my stock images/video at home)

Office files = Used Western Digital Green 2TB (No need for a fast drive since they are only MS office Word / Excel files)

3) How do I configure each program? (Premiere/ After Effects / Photoshop / Lightroom) to get the most performance. Where do I put the catalog files/scratch disk/save files/etc? Any tips, tricks, etc?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need inputs on my computer build for Premiere/AfterEffects/Photoshop/Lightroom
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My only comment is that if you have space, consider a full tower with LOTS of spots to add case fans to blow air through the case

I have had mid tower and now use a full tower which makes installing everything much easier

-reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849

• 2. Re: Need inputs on my computer build for Premiere/AfterEffects/Photoshop/Lightroom
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the i7-6850k is the 40 lane 6 core, are you asking about the 8 core i7-6900k? its over 2x as much money, but only 20-25% faster. it and the 10 core are on the expensive side, only for those that can justify the time saved vs money spent. premiere is still very much a cpu bound program, odds are you would see a benefit in performance with the 8 core or 10 core cpu, even with a single video card. some people that are working with raw video and doing lots of gpu based effects, might need a second gpu to help with performance.

the samsung 950 pro is largely wasted as a scratch/cache drive. its best use is for a media drive, for larger bitrate video files. smaller bitrate files will be fine on a samsung 850 sata ssd. if you already have the samsung 950 pro, you might want to see if you can load current premiere project Sony AX33 media on it, and then when done move the files to the backup drives.

you can put all cache/db/scratch on the samsung 950, or choose to leave part on the os/apps ssd, as there should be enough performance left on that drive to handle some too. any automatic backup saves should be set to another drive than where you are saving your working project, to protect against a drive failure.

the case you list should support several fans, i think even two 200mm. it should be more than enough air flow for the hardware you list. if you are worried about it, you could also look for a blower style gpu for the gtx 1070. something that looks like the white asus turbo gtx 970 or reference/founders edition nvidia cards. these exhaust the hot air of the gpu out of the case, but can be louder as they have only one fan.

• 3. Re: Need inputs on my computer build for Premiere/AfterEffects/Photoshop/Lightroom
              jomsjoms Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

So you suggest that I put my current video files in the Samsung 950 as well as the scratch files? Won't that hinder performance if they are both in the same drive? What if I put the video files in the 950 and the scratch files of premiere in the 850? Would that be better?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Need inputs on my computer build for Premiere/AfterEffects/Photoshop/Lightroom
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

it shouldn't make much difference either way, since both the os/apps drive and 950 pro should have performance left over to handle cache/scratch. if you don't have enough room for media and cache/scratch on the 950 pro, you can place cache and/or scratch on the os/apps drive (850 pro).