32 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 6:08 PM by ddqtc Branched to a new discussion.

Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

andy-mario Level 1

I just updated (Windows 10).

After effects is not starting.
      Premiere gives an error at the splash screen and crashes.

Same crash at splash screen for Media Encoder.

I already rebooted etc etc...

PS and AI are working correctly.

Looks like is a "video suite" issue.

Glad that as usual I kept old versions.

Is there something I can try to make the new version apps work?

thanks

• 1. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the text of the error message you get?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling. (Luckily, it seems they're using a new, much faster installer!)

• 2. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
            andy-mario Level 1

Hi Szalam,

I am currently reinstalling, i'll let you know.

The error is the standard Windows crash, on all 3 video apps (AE, PR, AME):

0.png

• 3. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
              andy-mario Level 1

Tried again these steps:

- installed one by one and tried to launch: all 3 apps show splash screen then it's displayed the Windows crash error.

- installed keeping previous preferences AND also without, same results.

I don't know what to do now.

• 4. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                rrosales22

I'm having the same issue.  Any luck on getting it to work?

• 5. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                  andy-mario Level 1

Still no luck, I was about to start a new client work and wanted to test the new AE but I think I will call adobe support and use the old version for this project.

Never had a launch problem with CC, this is the first time.

Although...I am using the new PS and AI and they work perfectly.

I really hope someone can help us.

• 6. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                    ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

Hey Andrea,

Thanks for the additional info that illustrator and Photoshop work correctly. After Effects, Premiere, and Adobe Media Encoder all share a GPU acceleration subsystem. Since you're seeing the crash in these three products, it's possible that initialization of this is crashing. Is there any chance there are newer drivers you can install for your graphics card?

--chris

• 7. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

I've heard of some folks having issues with a newer NVIDIA driver, but if you go back to the Mac OSX driver, it works.

• 8. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                        andy-mario Level 1

Thanks Chris,

I'm on windows 10 on an NVIDIA 980ti. Just checked and drivers are already the latest update available (368.39 released 6/7/2016)

• 9. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                          rrosales22 Level 1

If I were to go back to the Max OSX driver wouldn't that disable CUDA and Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (CUDA) on Premiere?  I'm using Mac OSX 10.11.3 with a GTX 980 Ti, I have the latest driver installed.

• 10. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                            justinbacle Level 1

Same problem here, on Windows 10 using a GTX 670 after 2015.3 Update

Premiere doesn't launch

After effects hangs as soon as started

Media Encoder works perfectly though but crashes on exit

• 11. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                              andy-mario Level 1

Update:

I contacted Adobe support:

They asked me to remove old versions, but I am too scared to do that, if something doesn't work I can't go back (unless I reinstall everything..). Then I have to reinstall all the scripts and plugins (I have a lot of them).

Other suggestion is to create a new "Admin" user.

I think these are useless suggestions, and as someone pointed out the problem might be in the gpu / gpu drivers. As I said photoshop and illustrator (2015.3) are working smoothly (so are all the 2015.2 apps).

I decided to give up for now and wait to finish this month projects before doing critical updates.

In the meanwhile I hope someone solves the problem.

• 12. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                rrosales22 Level 1

Well for the sake of us eliminating possible solutions, I did remove the old versions and installed the new apps with the same results.  It is definitely a gpu/gpu driver issue specific to AE/Premiere/AME.  All my other apps are working fine.

• 13. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                  Reg Santo Tomas Adobe Employee

If you revert the NVIDIA GPU driver to a previous version, does that resolve the issue?

• 14. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                    justinbacle Level 1

The problem somehow got fixed by itself by reeboting a couple of times. I guess some windows updates gave trouble

• 15. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                      Reg Santo Tomas Adobe Employee

Often, when updating drivers- even though they don't always require you to reboot - it is generally a good idea to do so.

• 16. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                        Eclipscape

I was having the same issue after upgrading to Premiere Pro 2015.3 on a Win10 x64 machine with an AMD FirePro GPU... Problem was solved after I reverted to a driver from February...

• 17. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                          alphanine Level 1

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Same Story here.

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Nvideia GeForce GTX680 (Tested with the previous Driver and with the latest update)

Also tested with removing the old version and with it installed.

Premiere crashed on the first launch, but now its working, Media encoder, Photoshop & illustrator is working fine.

AE Render engine working fine also.

P.S.: I guess the crash happens when AE is trying to load the libraries.

• 18. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                            andy-mario Level 1

I gave up...Premiere, After Effects and AMe are crashing.
                                            Illustrator and Photoshop are working but I'm having lot of crashes too (especially today when doing copy paste between them).

Will wait a couple of months or an update from nvidia/adobe.

I have a lot of work atm and cannot lose days with unreliable versions of my main software.

• 19. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                              alphanine Level 1

Hello, Problem is solved and here what i did exactly:

1. I Moved AE's Preference Text file (Adobe After Effects 13.8 Prefs.txt) to the Desktop.

you can find the file at this path: C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\13.8

2. Start AE 2015.3, this fixed the problem to me, if u want ur old settings continue to step 3.

3. copy the old preferences file from Desktop and replace the new created one in the path above, this will restore all your old settings except for the workspace layout.

IMPORTANT:

Do not use the Migrate option from AE preferences, this will cause the crash problem again.

Hope this could help.

2 people found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                Robb Shaw-Velzen

I am on a Mac, have had a similuar issue with an update before, they will fix it, but the question remains why release it until it works? we are professionals paying top dollar for our gear and software, make it work, or people will go back to knocking it off for free. Happy to pay if it just works. But i always keep an older stable version, thank god, because my biggest client came in today and I was able to go back to an older version and load their edit up with crashing. talk about sweating bricks. Thanks Adobe but i have already moved over to DaVinci Resolve 12.5 for all my editing, grading and delivery solution, once more it's free.

Robb Shaw-Velzen ACS

Once again a disappointed Adobe update sucker.

• 21. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                  andy-mario Level 1

UPDATE: I have a week off from work, so I tried to install again and make it work the new versions.

As before, PS, AI and ID are working perfectly.

I reinstalled AE, PR and AME, tried all the above suggestions (remove preferences etc...) but these 3 apps are crashing at launch during splash screen (I can see the splash screen but the app is never loaded).

After Effects doesn't even show the splash screen, I click the .exe and nothing really happens apart from a few seconds spinning loading circle.

Now: I really can't reinstall Windows, that's out of question. Either I can't get rid of previous versions, for plugins and projects compatibility I need to keep the 2015 version of all these programs.

What can I try now? I'm really lost and disappointed, never had these problems in years with Adobe updates.

Can it be the graphic card driver? (win10 64bit / 32gb ram / Nvidia gtx980ti - latest driver 368.81)

Adobe suggested to switch to a new user, but that's not a great suggestion.

It's a lot of work to change user for me since it's a year I'm working with this user and I have customised a lot of Windows settings (can't even remember what). Someone with the same problem also told me that changing users have not solved the issue for him.

• 22. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

andy-mario wrote:

Either I can't get rid of previous versions, for plugins and projects compatibility I need to keep the 2015 version of all these programs.

The Creative Cloud app lets you download and install CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 at any time and they can all be installed alongside each other. So you can use whichever versions work best for you and your system.

andy-mario wrote:

Now: I really can't reinstall Windows, that's out of question.

The fact that you have several programs all failing to start points to something a bit serious going on that would likely be fixed by reinstalling Windows, but that is a fairly drastic move and I understand your reticence to do it.

andy-mario wrote:

Adobe suggested to switch to a new user, but that's not a great suggestion.

It's a lot of work to change user for me since it's a year I'm working with this user and I have customised a lot of Windows settings (can't even remember what). Someone with the same problem also told me that changing users have not solved the issue for him.

It may not be a "great suggestion", but it doesn't take much time or effort to try it. Just because it didn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you. Sometimes very different problems present very similar symptoms. So, it couldn't hurt to just try it to see. It's a good troubleshooting step. If it works, great - we know what to look at! If it does not work, we will have eliminated some potential causes of the problem.

andy-mario wrote:

Can it be the graphic card driver? (win10 64bit / 32gb ram / Nvidia gtx980ti - latest driver 368.81)a

Issues with the GPU usually have error messages associated with them, but it wouldn't hurt to try an older driver like 361.91 to see if it behaves differently.

andy-mario wrote:

What can I try now? I'm really lost and disappointed, never had these problems in years with Adobe updates.

Does any information appear in the crash logs in Windows when they fail to start? Sharing what they say could help.

• 23. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                      andy-mario Level 1

Hi Szalam, thanks for taking your time to reply.

The Creative Cloud app lets you download and install CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 at any time and they can all be installed alongside each other. So you can use whichever versions work best for you and your system.

Yes I know, but It's reinstalling the plugins and scripts and all my settings that really bothers me and it's keeping me from removing old versions. I also found another thread where a user with a similar problem to mine had removed and cleaned everything (w/ adobe cleaner) and now 2015.3 it's working. As a last resort I will try this.

The fact that you have several programs all failing to start points to something a bit serious going on that would likely be fixed by reinstalling Windows, but that is a fairly drastic move and I understand your reticence to do it.

This would be truly drastic as you said...really the last thing I hope I have to do. My workstation is pretty "clean" but it's all the settings and addons that keeps me from formatting right now.

It may not be a "great suggestion", but it doesn't take much time or effort to try it. Just because it didn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you. Sometimes very different problems present very similar symptoms. So, it couldn't hurt to just try it to see. It's a good troubleshooting step. If it works, great - we know what to look at! If it does not work, we will have eliminated some potential causes of the problem.

You're perfectly right. As you can see I really like to troubleshoot everything before starting throwing words to Adobe (which I never do).
                                                      Already tried with the different user, not working with same crashes for video apps.

Issues with the GPU usually have error messages associated with them, but it wouldn't hurt to try an older driver like 361.91 to see if it behaves differently.

I have to try this, I'll let you know.

EDIT: tried with 361.91 and even an older one, same crash.

Does any information appear in the crash logs in Windows when they fail to start? Sharing what they say could help.

Here is the crash log:

After Effects - Process: AfterFX.exe [11136] Path: C:\Program - Pastebin.com

Premiere - Process: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe [5380] Path: C - Pastebin.com

I found some errors but I really don't know what the hex code in the same line means.

Also in premiere log it says "AMD processor" but I have an Intel I7, that is strange.

Thanks

• 24. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                        andy-mario Level 1

UPDATE:

Between works I followed the steps I found in another thread (Ae 2015.3 stuck on flash screen suddenly )

Result of the total wiping/cleaning/reinstalling: same issue/error as above with the video apps (AME, PR, AE).

Now: I can't use my main apps, I have to reinstall old version and a tons of plugins/scripts. Really?

Every other software it's working.

Will try one more time with Adobe support, I can't really format this workstation now.

• 25. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                          kulpreet singh Adobe Employee

Hi Andy,

My sincere apologies for the trouble that you are experiencing with Premiere Pro, After Effects and AME.

Checked your case history and I can see that you and Adobe technical support have already tried all the possible troubleshooting steps.

I understand that re-installing operating system is not a great option and it is time consuming as well.

I would suggest you to check these applications in a different user account and trust me that will not take much time.

If that does not work only then you might need to got for the operating system re-install.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

• 26. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                            andy-mario Level 1

Thanks Kulpreet, your help is very appreciated.

I already tried everything (even the new user) so I think a new install it's the only way to have the new apps working.

I'll let you know here if everything it's working after this procedure.

Thanks,

Andrea

• 27. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

You are most welcome and thanks for confirming.

Regards,

Kulpreet Singh

• 28. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                                andy-mario Level 1

I finally did a clean Windows install, every Adobe app is working BUT After Effects behaves strangely on startup.

Every time I launch AE the splash screen get stuck on "Cleaning Up" as in the image attached.
                                                                The component under "Cleaning up" changes every time so it's not related to a specific plugin/script (by the way I have not installed any 3rd party stuff yet).

1.PNG

Then nothing moves. If I click on the splash screen this happens for a couple of seconds:

2.PNG

Then I got the "Close program / wait" windows dialog like AE is crashing, but then after 1 second AE starts correctly and It's working.

If instead of clicking the splash screen I do something else (like open a web browser, go to the start menu) AE is starting without the crash warning.

Already tried to reinstall AE, same behaviour. All softwares/system/drivers are updated to latest version as 04 Sept. 2016 (everything genuine).

Even if AE it's working, it feels like something is wrong (not blaming Adobe, maybe it's the latest win10 update...).

• 29. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing this update.

I am glad that all of your Adobe applications are working now.

I understand that you are still experiencing some issues with AE but I would suggest you to observe it for sometime.

(not blaming Adobe, maybe it's the latest win10 update...).

It could be an issue with the Window's update, not sure.

Please observe these applications for few more days and kindly share your conclusions.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

• 30. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                                    andy-mario Level 1

To summarize, long story short:

(Windows 10) If your CC apps (June 2015 update) crash on start, try the following:

- Start apps as a new windows user

- Clear preferences (move preferences file to desktop)

- Remove older versions of the software

- Run cccleaner or similar to clean your system and registry

- Remove scripts/plugins/3rdparty codecs

If none of the above works

- Use Adobe Cleaner Tool and remove everything Adobe and manually also the Adobe folders (Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems) then reinstall Adobe CC suite.

If it's still crashing, sorry but:

- Reinstall windows (clean install) and all the Adobe CC suite.

This worked for me. But even with a clean install I still have problems with the startup (freezes), but then it's working.
                                                                    We'll see with the next update, I hope i don't have to format again!

UPDATE :

I also found out a thing I didn't try before formatting and could have solved the problem.

As someone pointed out on some other post also I had the GDIPP module for font smoothing.
                                                                    Removing GDIPP solved the problem for another user.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

• 31. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working

Hi Andy,

I am sorry for all the troubles that you have been through & I am glad that everything is up and running again.

Thanks a lot for being so cooperative, patient and for sharing all of your observations.

Regards,

Kulpreet Singh

• 32. Re: Update 2015.3 AE and Premiere not working
                                                                        ddqtc

Finally... This solved the crashing issue I'd had since launch of 2015.3 - This answer needs more exposure, it was hidden amongst everything else in search.