1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 6:11 PM by GGRG_42

InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

I have a 2013 Mac Pro with AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D300 2048MB x2 GPUs, why is my GPU not compatible? It supports OpenGL 4.1, surely it should work.

• 1. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to have a Retina Display, either on your computer or with a connected monitor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
            ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

Surely not, surely you could get the benefit of the GPU Performance with a standard display as well.

I'm not running a Retina display, I'm running two Dell 2515 2560x1440 displays, considering the hardware is capable of increased performance, I would have thought it could use it.

And Adobe have blown up the UI, making everything bigger.

Thanks Adobe.

Good job.

• 3. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
              ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

Thanks for replying so quickly Steve, perhaps Adobe can provide a patch as quickly to support GPU performance and to resize the UI.

Here's hoping...

• 4. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                ohmnath Adobe Employee

Hi Stephen,

As mentioned above you need to have certain system requirements for the new feature. Here's a link with more details : Adobe InDesign GPU Performance feature enhancements

Regards,

Om

• 5. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                  ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

But why should the display I'm using prevent the GPU from providing the performance it is capable of?

The same information os still being displayed, just fewer pixels, the GPU is still the same, the GPU is supported, so why does the performance option REQUIRE a retina display?

It's like preventing GPU Performance from working because you are using a wired mouse instead of bluetooth. The GPU providing the performance increase is there and supported, but not enabled because of the display I'm using.

Even better, GPU Performance is available in both Photoshop and Illustrator, with my hardware!

• 6. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                    Earth Oliver Level 3

>You need to have a Retina Display, either on your computer or with a connected monitor.

Yes, but the question is why? No other application is the Adobe suite has this requirement... why does InDesign?

• 7. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                      ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

Exactly, and you would expect Photoshop or Illustrator to have higher GPU requirements than indesign.

• 8. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                        Murat Ozgul Level 1

Yeah this is super stupid. Our Illustrator and Photoshop already support GPU performance but InDesign don't.

Illustrator

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 19.34.50.png

InDesign

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 19.35.08.png

• 9. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                          ohmnath Adobe Employee

Hi Murat,

It is a new feature and you certainly can expect lots of improvement in it. At this moment it is limited to the machines with specs mentioned in my previous link.

Regards,

Om

• 10. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                            ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

I understand about the machines specifications, BUT, how, in my case, does an external screen affect what performance an internal GPU can provide?

That's my point, they are allowing extra performance if you have purchased a HiDpi screen, which has nothing to do with the specification and capability of the hardware inside the Mac Pro, that extra performance should be available for the Mac Pro regardless of what screen you have it plugged into.

Now I have got home, I've updated InDesign on my 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display and an Nvidia GT650m 1GB GPU and i get the GPU performance, I understand it has a Retina display, but the GPU is not as powerful or capable as the ones (plural) in the Mac Pro.

The difference in performance is astounding, my MacBook Pro now is so much faster than my Mac Pro, with a lesser/mobile GPU.

Come on Adobe, you've messed up with your requirements here, the screen you are using SHOULD NOT have any bearing on the GPU supporting any performance improvements.

2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                              Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might not find a technical reason if the reason is not a technical one. Om's response explained that it's limited "at the moment" and that you can expect "lots of improvement." That indicates that Adobe is not intending to lock our non-Retina displays out of this feature forever. I can't speak for Adobe, but my guess is that this might have been something like a QA resources limitation, not being able to test and verify all GPU scenarios right away and wanting to focus on Retina first just to get the feature out sooner. Why Retina first? Because Retina is where GPU acceleration is needed the most. It was largely because of the high pixel load of Retina displays that Lightroom implemented GPU acceleration.

I am hoping that Om's statement means that non-Retina displays will get GPU acceleration eventually, but of course we might not know that officially until it happens.

If the reason is not strictly technical, it won't be unusual. There have been many posts on Apple discussion boards by users trying to figure out how Apple determined the hardware cutoff for macOS 10.12 Sierra, because Mac users are having trouble identifying a clear hardware reason why Apple dropped support for the Mac models that it did. Again, my unofficial guess is that it might have had to do more with Apple deciding to limit the scope of testing to help keep the project on schedule or some other project-related decision, rather than a specific hardware limitation of the older models.

3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                Sandra MacPherson Level 1

I hope so. I was also wondering why I wasn't getting the GPU performance option in ID, that I was getting in PS and Illustrator. I did notice in the app upgrades, however, that PS was 2015.5, Illustrator was 2015.3 and ID was just 2015. So… still more to come it appears.

• 13. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                  Garry Bradley Level 1

Yeah I'll chip in as well here. I've got a 27" top spec iMac late 2013 with a 4GB VRAM nVidia card inside and no retina screen unfortunately. I do plenty of InDesign work so this acceleration would have been really welcome. Hope it comes to the next dot version sooner rather than later as it feels like I've been left behind in the hardware already.

• 14. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                    ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

I know what you mean Garry, My Mac Pros' spec qualifies for the GPU acceleration, but, because my external displays are not retina/HiDpi I don't get the acceleration either, madness.

If the GPU is up to spec, we'd all like to receive the performance improvements.

I don't think thats unreasonable, do you Adobe?

Lets hope a patch/update comes out sooner rather than later.

• 15. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                      W2 Net Level 1

Well, to activate in a Mac Pro the GPU under Indesign you can do this:

Activate HiDpi: There are many ways in Google search... (typing the correct sentence in Terminal comand and Option+Clic in adjust resolution system preferences panel, ResXtreme, SwitchXRes, etc) This perform a serial of HiDpi resolutions supported by your Mac.

Select a HiDpi resolutión.(1280x720 HiDpi, it's double wide pixels from 2560x1440)

Open Indesign and now, you have GPU and zoom accelerated.

Not exit Indesign, go to System preferences and back to your default resolution.

Then you have activated GPU and zoom with the native resolution of your screen without HdiPi for this session until you close Indesign.

The bad part of this is you need to do it, every time you restart Indesign. But if you have long sessions, worth it

2 people found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                        pstrudl

I use a LG Ultrawide 34" Display (Non Retina) on my MacPro. So I switched resolution in system preferences to 1720 x 720 (HiDPI) and InDesign gave me the opportunity to activate GPU-Acceleration and animated zoom. After switching resolution back to full, it´s no longer available. Even switching back and forth does´t allow me now to activate GPU-Activation. The Monitor seems to be recognized

and the "animated Zoom" is checked. (I´m working on german version).

So there must be something in the Indesign Preferences where this information is stored. Hopefully Adobe will fix this soon since it works with that Hardware and there should bo no reason this should depend on selected resolution.

• 17. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                          ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

@pstrudl I completely agree, if the hardware support the acceleration it should be available no matter what resolution you are outputting.

• 18. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                            100pk Level 1

OK, now I am away and try to turn GPU acceleration ON but still not available.

My MBP late 2014 qualifies so it should work…

Weird…

• 19. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                              ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

That is odd, my 2013 Retina MacBook Pro automatically had the GPU acceleration enabled, all previews became high res and scrolling is awesome. I assume you've tried restarting your Mac, i didn't need to with mine, but it's worth a go.

• 20. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                rudo123 Level 1

Hmm, see here:

What’s New in the June 2016 Release of InDesign CC | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

GPU performance enhancements (for Mac only) renders your artwork faster when zooming, scrolling, and panning without sacrificing display quality — even on HiDPI monitors. Along with the increased speed is a new Animated Zoom that lets you zoom to the exact center of an area by clicking and holding, or zoom in and out quickly by clicking and scrubbing left and right.

- “even on HiDPI monitors”? So not ONLY on HiDPI? Do I understand this correctly?

In the screenshot on @InDesign Twitter, no mention about compatible (HiDPI) display (as in screenshot above by Murat):

ClpOXzMVAAEJYcv.jpg

Is it possible that GPU acceleration should work universally, just for various technical reasons is for now restricted for HiDPI displays?

• 21. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

I can't tell you for certain, but my feeling is that the engineers see adding the GPU acceleration features is a multi-step process. They wanted to focus first on one platform (Mac) and only on where the need is greatest. Once they've gotten most of the bugs out of this area, they will expand to non-HiDPI Macs and the Windows platform.

From what I've seen in the Illustrator and Photoshop apps, there are inevitable display bugs which will appear when adding GPU acceleration as all the graphic display processes are being re-written.

• 22. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                    100pk Level 1

For the time being I am not able to get my (fully specced) MBP late 2014 to let GPU acceleration working while it does work in Illustrator and Photoshop.

• 23. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                      pstrudl Level 1

You can try to delete the  InDesign Defaults in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 11.0/ but you will lose some of your settings. Worked for me on my MacPro. But I have to switch to HiDPI setting every time before launching InDesign then switching back to full resolution. Not good! Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-27 um 09.10.35.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-27 um 09.11.10.png

• 24. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                        jhodges13

When can we expect this to be fixed?

I have 2x D700's w/ 7 Teraflops of performance that are completely being ignored because my monitor isn't 'hiDPI' - except I am using a 4k monitor, just at default resolution!

This is pretty ridiculous.

• 25. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

Supporting GPU performance is incremental. It's not yet supported at all yet on Windows. I'm sure both the Windows platform and non-Hi-DPI monitors will be supported in time. It's not a trivial thing to implement. There are still small glitches in the initial release for Macs that meet the initial criteria.

The same process of development happened earlier with Photoshop and Illustrator.

• 26. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                            jhodges13 Level 1

Well I went ahead and set my secondary monitor to a scaled resolution instead of running at default resolution and now it works. Seems rather trivial to me.

• 27. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                              DeanB Level 1

I am confused by the feature's availability in Illustrator but not InDesign as well.

• 28. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

InDesign is developed by a different software team than Illustrator. Each team bases new features on needs and requests from their users. The applications won't develop at the same pace in all product areas.

• 29. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                  Squidy666

I've got the Macbook Pro 15 inch with 390x and a retina screen, Indesign STILL won't allow me to turn on GPU acceleration. It says a compatible monitor is available but I can't tick anything as it's greyed out.

• 30. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                    [Ravi Kiran] Adobe Employee

What is the VRAM on your Retina MBP? The minimum that is required for GPU to work is 1024 MB.

Try restarting InDesign if your machine meets this requirement.

• 31. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                      Squidy666 Level 1

2048mb, I've restarted and even reinstalled Indesign. It works fine on Illustrator but not Indesign. I've deleted the preferences with CMD Opt CTRL SHFT and it says there's a compatible GPU available but its greyed out and won't let me select it

• 32. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                        christopherh70903091

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro with AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB and a 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt display attached. Is that not enough to have the GPU to work? I am able to use it in Illustrator and Photoshop.

• 33. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

Is the VRAM 1024 Mb? Is the monitor a Retina display? Those are the current requirements.

Photoshop and Illustrator have been doing this a much longer time and have their own specifications.

• 34. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                            christopherh70903091 Level 1

Yes, VRAM is 2048MB. The monitor is most recent Apple 27" Thunderbolt display, which I assumed was retina since it is the only display Apple makes, but maybe it isn't?

• 35. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                              Squidy666 Level 1

The thunderbolt display definitely isn't retina, it's the only thing I dislike about that screen (I have one here also that I use occassionally)

• 36. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                                pstrudl Level 1

I was exited when I saw the update today. But not only the bug of not supporting MacPros powerful GPU was fixed, it even got worse. No my workaround (switching to HDPI in System preferences - then start InDesign - then switching resolution back to full) does´t work anymore. Only by deleting the InDesign preference file I was able to do the trick once, next time I opened InDesign it was gone. So this is not practicable anymore, so sad I did the update.

Come on Adobe - its a shame you can't do a quick fix for pros that work daily on a powerful machine like the MacPro!

• 37. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                                  ed.jones.kk427 Level 1

Todays updates to CC 2017 still don't enable GPU enhancements in InDesign on a Mac Pro!!!

So, thanks for... nothing?

Seriously, it's still not enabled because I'm not using a HiDpi display?

Are you going to start penalising users for being left handed next?

• 38. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance
                                                                                    jasperlevi

I am using a Mac Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 with 4GB of VRAM and a 28-inch ASUS PB287Q 4K display. Surely this should be enough. Animated Zoom and GPU Preview are available on Photoshop and Illustrator, and were also available on the last version of InDesign. How come they are disabled on the new version?

The funniest thing is that when I scale down my display from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440, the GPU Preview and Animated Zoom come right on! How do you explain that! !

• 39. Re: InDesign 2015.4 GPU Performance

I'd suggest posting your feature requests here. I was at the InDesign Conference where the InDesign product manager specifically said that he monitored these requests:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

1 2 Previous Next