9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 5:58 AM by KarynRH

InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch

KarynRH Level 1

I updated my apps this morning and while Illustrator and Photoshop are functional (neither has a splash screen at all now), ID isn't. It hangs on launch, apparently stopped at the point where a splash screen would load.

I'm on Windows 10 using a Dell Latitude E7470. ID was perfectly fine this morning before updating.

• 1. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)
          2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
            KarynRH Level 1

Thank you for the link. Now I get error messages and then a crash.

ID_Update_Fail_1b.PNG

ID_Update_Fail_2b.PNG

ID_Update_Fail_3b.PNG

This is my third week using Win10 but the first two don't count as I was working too frantically on projects to pay any attention to the change. I haven't explored at all.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
              sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please share the screenshot where ID hangs? Also,

Please follow the step to clear preference and cache

• InDesign Preference:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<language>\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>

• InDesign Cache:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

• 4. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                KarynRH Level 1

The screenshots are above. I can't clear the preferences or cache because the error messages appear as soon as I start ID. Hitting the keys is doing nothing at that point.

• 5. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                  sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please follow the following step:

1. Uninstall ID

2. Please delete both the folders -

Local:

AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign

and roaming:

AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

3. Reinstall ID.

Hope this might solve your issue.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

4 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                    KarynRH Level 1

That worked like a miracle! It made me install 2014 first and then update to 2015, and the icon is showing as a blank page, but the app seems to work just fine! Thanks!

Also thanks to Peter Spier, who responded quickly and with a link to a solution I wasn't able to find with my own search.

What my icon currently looks like, next to the CC icon. It's OK, the app works!

• 7. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That blank Icon means something is still wrong....

• 8. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                        KarynRH Level 1

It does, and I was afraid the program wouldn't work. But it does, so I can at least work while whatever was wrong with the install is fixed. I've been testing everything I can think of to see if something doesn't work and so far, so good. But I do think I'll save everything I'm currently working on as .idml so that if needed, I can revert to 2014. That's something I should have done before updating, but as I've never run into a real problem with an update, I hadn't given it thought before.

• 9. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 hangs on launch
                          KarynRH Level 1

My icon was normal when I logged in this morning and as near as I can tell, everything is as it should be.

Thank you again to Peter Spier and Sanyamt!