7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 1:30 PM by Szalam

After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse

nazmuss46503092 Level 1

Hi All.

I took a Moon rise Timelapse. After that I cropped all images in Lightroom and made Tiemlapse in After Effect.

Unfortunately my Tripod was not too heavy and the environment was windy hence I found some Vibration in my shots.

My Frame is full dark and the Moon moves from one edge to other diagonally over a Tree. Here the Tree leafs are out-of focus so it may looks like clouds and something like Silhouette.

But the Moons trail vibration is noticeable. I tried After Effect Wrap Stabilizer but it reports me about "Extreme Crop or Adjust Parameter" Can you advise how to stabilized this shots?

Below is the link of my Timelapse Video. You can see the Moon Rise is very much vibrating.

https://youtu.be/jv-u7zkrWwk

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

• 1. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the legacy point stabilizer.

• 2. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse
            nazmuss46503092 Level 1

Hi Szalam.

Thanks for reply. Can you advise more where is this point stabilizer option? I looked it into effects panel but did not found it.

Regards.

• 3. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse

It's part of the motion tracking panel. See this page for further details.

• 4. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That shot is going to require a fair amount of hand work because of the trees in the foreground. Warp stabilizer is not at all suited to the task.

You want to use Stabilize motion to make the moon stay perfectly still in the frame, then you add a null and make it the parent of the footage. Then you animate the position of the null to put the movement back in the moon. You will probably have to scale or crop your footage.

AE does not have a Point Tracker - it has Stabilize Motion and Track Motion, both of which track areas of detail. Lots of folks have inaccurately called this a Point tracker because there is a little + in the center of the inside square, but everything in the inside square is what is being tracked.

It is important that the detail you are tracking is first big enough to get some usable data, and second, has enough detail to track. There are parts of the moon that will work well for this but when the tree blocks those areas you'll have to make some adjustments. There are tutorials on this. Simply type Stabilize Motion in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the tutorials. You Get to the trackers by simply selecting the Motion Tracking workspace, selecting the layer you want to track in the comp panel, then, if it is not already selected in the Motion Tracking panel, choose Motion Source, select stabilize motion. This will open the Layer panel. Now you size and position your search area and track area and begin analyzing the footage. When you get a good track then you apply and go back to the Composition Panel.

• 5. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse

Rick Gerard wrote:

AE does not have a Point Tracker - it has Stabilize Motion and Track Motion, both of which track areas of detail. Lots of folks have inaccurately called this a Point tracker because there is a little + in the center of the inside square, but everything in the inside square is what is being tracked.

In my defense, it's called the point tracker in AE's documentation...

• 6. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I didn't mean to offend. I know that is what it is often called by Adobe staff and it's in the help files - but that's not what it is. I've pointed that out for about 15 years. The inaccurate term leads many folks to think that they can squeeze the tracking area down to a few pixel around an x made with black tape on a wall 20 feet from the camera and that will never work. I should have mentioned that even AE's writing staff calls it a point tracker. It does deliver a point but it tracks an area. I don't know what the best term would be but it's not point...

• 7. Re: After Effect Warp Stabilization for Moon Rise Timelapse

I see what you're saying.

Is the term really inaccurate or just misleading? I mean, it kind of is a point tracker in that it tracks a point.

Granted, it uses the surrounding area as a reference (which isn't clear by the term "point tracker"), but under the hood it really is tracking a point as opposed to a planar tracker which actually tracks the whole plane.