7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 2:58 PM by tytlyf

LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)

tytlyf Level 1

My powerful laptop runs very slow when editing RAW files and 3x slower editing an HDR merge file.  However, when transferring an image to photoshop and bringing back into Lightroom as a TIF file, the movements are extremely fast with no delays.

I can zoom in and out of the huge image with no delay (moving as fast as I can click the mouse), the speed is incredible and what the program functionality should be.

Why would Lightroom treat file types differently?  If they could focus on this TIF file anomaly, I think we may get somewhere as to the slowness too many people are getting.

• 1. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
          dj_paige Level 9

tytlyf wrote:

My powerful laptop runs very slow when editing RAW files and 3x slower editing an HDR merge file. However, when transferring an image to photoshop and bringing back into Lightroom as a TIF file, the movements are extremely fast with no delays.

Lightroom and Photoshop have very different underlying architecture and it is entirely possible for some operations to be lightning fast in Photoshop and very very slow in Lightroom. Can you tell us exactly what editing you are doing? Are you doing a lot of brushing or spot healing on an individual photo? Also please do tell us the hardware specs of your powerful laptop.

Why would Lightroom treat file types differently?  If they could focus on this TIF file anomaly, I think we may get somewhere as to the slowness too many people are getting.

The merged HDR file is likely a lot bigger than the RAW, so of course editing the HDR will be slower on some operations. It has nothing to do with the file type.

As explained above, this isn't the file types being treated differently. And so I don't believe you have found an actual problem that hasn't been previously known.

• 2. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
            Abambo Level 4

Lightroom is using caching techniques to "edit" data faster. But if you zoom in, Lightroom needs to read the original file and depending on the file format, this means moving a lot of data in the memory. In addition Lightroom needs then to apply the "Develop" parameters. As TIFF files are basic files that do not need to be "constructed" and "rendered", you can move faster with them, but you have more limited editing possibilities, as some parameters have been "burned" in.

• 3. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
              tytlyf Level 1

I have an i7-4720HQ, 16GB memory, GTX860M.

The TIF file after importing back to lightroom appears to be 500MB in size.  The file is tons bigger than the extremely slow HDR files, yet doesn't have any slowness issues.  I do use brushes and very rarely use spot healing.

I'll be working on multiple Raw files in the catalog and next to it will be the TIF file, it's like night and day the speed difference.

• 4. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
                dj_paige Level 9

It's not the megabytes of the file that matter with regards to speed, it is the megapixels that matter with regards to speed.

Nothing you have said changes the fact that Lightroom operates differently when you brush a photo than Photoshop (or really perform any edit), and Photoshop ought to be lightning fast while Lightroom will be slow if you do a lot of brushing. It has nothing to do with the format of the file. When the TIF file arrives back into Lightroom, all the brushing from either Photoshop or Lightroom is baked into the file, and of course your editing will be faster as now Lightroom does not have to interpret and apply large amounts of brushing instructions.

Have you turned the GPU acceleration off in Lightroom to see if this speeds things up?

If you're going to send the photo to Photoshop anyway, then do the brushing in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
                  tytlyf Level 1

I've been having issues for a couple years.  I've tried GPU on/off and everything else.  If LR worked as fast with the files as it does the TIF, man that would be amazing and perfect.  There's is absolutely zero slowness.  Hopefully they find the solution.

• 6. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
                    dj_paige Level 9

The solution is to do the brushing in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: LR Bizarre behavior with different image formats (.CR2, HDR, TIF)
                      tytlyf Level 1

I only use photoshop to mask in windows for real estate, everything else is done in LR.  Hopefully they'll fix their issues soon.