28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 4:43 PM by DWalla

AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics

DWalla Level 1

Just installed the latest After Effects.... crash logs show that GPUSniffer is causing kernel panics.

I ran GPUSniffer separately and it caused it to panic again.

I have now removed GPUSniffer and AEGPUSniffer from my app content. The app fires up normally. Haven't tested anything without the sniffers.

Mac OS X 10.11.3

48GB RAM

Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

CUDA 7.5.25

NVidia Driver 346.03.05f02

Unfortunately I am unable to use the native OS X drivers with this card. I can only use the NVIDIA drivers.

Doug

• 1. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
          yellowdogparty Level 1

I can't help, but I can report that I'm having a similar issue with Premiere. I can't pinpoint the exact cause in the logs, but gpusniffer is showing up in there. I'm running a hackintosh, but I have a similar setup.

Mac OS X 10.11.3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB

CUDA 7.5.25

NVidia Driver 346.03.05f02

I had a feeling it was graphics card related. I'll try your trick for now I guess. Thankfully I still have the previous version installed on my MacBook Pro. I'm not upgrading this one (even saving the old version) until I get it working on my workstation. Also thankfully, I'm smart enough to not upgrade when I have projects in the pipeline. I definitely won't be upgrading AE on either (though that I always install without overwriting since it's always buggy).

• 2. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
            yellowdogparty Level 1

There's an update to CUDA 7.5.29 apparently. I've installed it, but that machine is out in my studio, and I don't want to lose my connection to it, so I'll check it tomorrow and report back if it miraculously works.

• 3. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
              isotropy

FWIW, I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers and Cuda (7.5.29) and it still reboots my machine on launch too. I'm running a hackintosh setup with a 980ti.

• 4. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                yellowdogparty Level 1

Yeah, .29 didn't help. I renamed gpusniffer in the contents, and it didn't immediately shut my machine down. Of course after loading everything it said that I didn't have a GPU or something along those lines so I couldn't actually open anything. Ugh. I was so excited for this update so I could finally edit my Raven footage in Premiere instead of mucking around with it in Davinci. Maybe my MBP will work since everything should be officially supported but it'd be a lot better for it to work on this machine.

• 5. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                  DWalla Level 1

yeah... this is definitely an NVIDIA driver issue tied to the GPUSniffer. The app runs fine without it... but you do lose all GPU acceleration for the app. Hopefully Adobe and/or NVIDIA have a solution for this soon.

• 6. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                    isotropy Level 1

Also, I think it's also tied to 10.11.x as well. My friend has a hackintosh running 10.10.5 and it's working fine for him. I have to run 10.11.x since mine is a skylake build.

• 7. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                      yellowdogparty Level 1

I think you're right about the 10.11.x thing.

I might experiment by using the old gpusniffer program in the new bundle. Maybe I'll get lucky.

• 8. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                        yellowdogparty Level 1

I experimented, and it didn't work. Premiere didn't shut down my computer immediately, but it failed to find a GPU. :/

• 9. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                          isotropy Level 1

Good idea! I wish it was that simple. Brought this issue up in the Mograph slack channel, and Tim from Adobe knows about the issue. They said a fix will likely come from Nvidia's side. No ETA or other info was given.

FWIW, I tried using the new build for a while and things seemed to work, though I couldn't get 60fps playback at all in 2015.3 so i'm not sure if that's because nothing is GPU accelerated because we removed the sniffer or another issue wiht 2015.3 entirely, but for now i'm sticking with the old version.

• 10. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                            yellowdogparty Level 1

I had a feeling they were going to blame NVidia. Hopefully the fix is actually on their end. Thanks for the info. I'm not even going to install the new AE until a fix exists. At least I know I can test it by running Premiere and seeing if it still immediately reboots my computer. SO fun let me tell you.

• 11. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

FWIW, I tried using the new build for a while and things seemed to work, though I couldn't get 60fps playback at all in 2015.3 so i'm not sure if that's because nothing is GPU accelerated because we removed the sniffer or another issue wiht 2015.3 entirely, but for now i'm sticking with the old version.

This likely is the case. 60fps playback should be working, but it does require OpenGL enhancements made in After Effects CC 2015.3. (I will take this opportunity to mention that these enhancements aren't available on Mac OS X 10.9. WIndows and Mac OS 10.10/11 only.)

Quite a bit has changed under the hood regarding GPU usage in After Effects, and for the future we will continue to leverage GPU power more.

We've been monitoring a few different GPU-related crashes, and we are working with both AMD and Nvidia to investigate. Some peoples have fixed problems with Nvidia hardware by changing the driver. That often indicates that a fix is needed in the driver. Sometimes not, we have to change code in After Effects. We learn by investigation.

• 12. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                yellowdogparty Level 1

Thanks for chiming in Tim. I hope that also happens to help Premiere too. I'm glad to hear you're working together with NVidia. Please hurry.

• 13. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics

For anyone who is experiencing this crash, we could use a few more data samples to help the investigation. Gather the following and then send me a private message with a Dropbox or other preferred file sharing link, or simply contact me and I'll share email contact info. Thanks in advance.

Mac OS System Info log:

1. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac.
                                  2. Click System Report.
                                  3. File > Save As.

Crash logs:

1. Start After Effects CC 2015.3 to instigate the crash.
                                  2. Go to your user Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (in Finder, Go menu > Go To Folder, ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/) and grab the most recent crash logs for AEGPUSniffer, GPUSniffer, and After Effects.

GPUSniffer logs:

1. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
                                  2. Type or copy/paste the following and press enter: /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/AEGPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/AEGPUSniffer
                                  3. Copy and paste the resulting log information into a text document.
                                  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 with this: /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer
                                  • 14. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics

One more thing: we've heard that updating Mac OS to 10.11.5 has fixed GPU-related issues for some users.

If you are on 10.10, we highly recommend 10.10.5, as there are known GPU issues on earlier releases of that OS.

Please report back if OS updates fix or change the issue.

• 15. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                      yellowdogparty Level 1

I might give this a shot tomorrow. I'll have to see what the recommendations are for people on hackintoshes. Thanks!

• 16. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                        isotropy Level 1

Thanks Tim! sent what logs I could via email. I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade the OS on my Hackintosh without knowing 100% if that will fix it, so i'll wait it out a bit to see how this plays out.

• 17. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                          DWalla Level 1

If you're using latest version of Clover for your Hackintosh you can simply use system updater..... it doesn't require any other handholding for updating. It's very nice.

• 18. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                            yellowdogparty Level 1

Things can still happen to Clover-based systems. And at the very least you almost always have to fix audio. You'll have to fix trim too if you're using SSDs and you don't have Clover set to fix it.

For what it's worth, I haven't had an issue doing an update with Clover or Chimera, but that's not the case for everyone. I'm using this machine at the moment but as soon as I'm done (hopefully today) I'll update OS and NVidia drivers and see if it solves the problem. I have seen that some people have had it work for other Adobe software.

• 19. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                              isotropy Level 1

Ok cool - thanks Yellowdogparty. Please let me know if it fixes it for you on your end. If it does, i'll probably take the plunge and give it a shot. I'm in between projects right now so it's a good time for me to do it if it works. I'm just hesitant to mess with anything hah

• 20. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                yellowdogparty Level 1

You're welcome. I'm in a similar boat. The update to 10.11.5 went fine, other than audio of course. And as expected, the OS killed the old NVidia driver, so when I started up I only had one screen. I opened the prefs from the button on the dialog window and installed the driver, restarted, and everything was back to normal.

I use my Cinema Displays for audio so I wasn't worried about that. And my headphones are plugged into a USB mic, so I don't need to really put it back anytime soon. It's easy enough when I feel like it. Obviously that's nothing new from normal hackintosh updating.

Anyway, I was able to open Premiere 2015.3 with no issues. I downloaded the latest AE. Installed it and ran it with no issues. The only odd thing is that when it closes, the AE window goes to like 50% opacity for like half a second before it closes completely. But it seems to be fine. I opened up a project in both programs and it seemed to be ok. I even finally got to see some Raven footage in Premiere.

So so far so good. I'm out of town next week, so I can't really report much more (I need to get inside and pack now actually), but I think you'll be fine. As long as the OS is good you should at least be able to open the old versions anyway. I checked to make sure they were fine. So as always YMMV, but I think you'll be fine. Happy Hackintoshing.

• 21. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                  isotropy Level 1

Alright! Updated my hackintosh to 10.11.5 and updated to the latest Nvidia web drivers (346.03.10f02) and that seems to have fixed it. AE 2015.3 now boots normally. I haven't put AE through it's paces yet, but i'll try and kick the can a little over the weekend.

• 22. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics

Thanks for the update, guys. Glad to know that 10.11.5 seems to solve the problem. Let us know if the problem comes back.

For others on this thread, please try updating to 10.11.5 (if already on 10.11). Or, if you're already on 10.11.5 and still experiencing the problem, report back to let us know what specific OS you are using.

• 23. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                      yellowdogparty Level 1

Just got back from my vacation. Thanks for the help, Tim. You rock!

• 24. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                        GiantRobot77

Hi Tim,

I'm updated to OSX 10.11.6 I'm having full blown computer crash and then restarts when I launch AE 2015.3. All the other apps work fine including Premiere. I also updated to latest Nvidia and CUDA drivers.  Let me know if I can send Logs and/or if you have any fixes.

Thanks

• 25. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

GiantRobot77 wrote:

Hi Tim,

I'm updated to OSX 10.11.6 I'm having full blown computer crash and then restarts when I launch AE 2015.3. All the other apps work fine including Premiere. I also updated to latest Nvidia and CUDA drivers. Let me know if I can send Logs and/or if you have any fixes.

Thanks

Your answer is solved in this thread.

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                            GiantRobot77 Level 1

Awesome. That worked! Thanks Szalam

• 27. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

GiantRobot77 wrote:

Awesome. That worked! Thanks Szalam

Hooray! You're welcome.

• 28. Re: AE 2015.3 GPUSniffer causing kernel panics
                                                                DWalla Level 1

I should add that upgrading to 10.11.5 and latest Nvidia driver DID work for solving the problem when starting After Effects (latest release)... however, I still get a GPUSniffer crash when firing up Premiere latest release (10.4.0)